20.96°C Vancouver

News

WorldMar 26, 2026

Two killed, three injured after intercepted missile debris falls in Abu Dhabi, officials say

Two people were killed and three others injured after debris from an intercepted ballistic missile fell in Abu Dhabi amid ongoing regional tensions, according to authorities in the United Arab Emirates. Officials said the missile was launched from Iran and was destroyed mid-air by air defence systems. However, falling fragments struck areas in the UAE capital, resulting in civilian casualties. Authorities identified the two people killed as one Pakistani national and one Indian national. Three others injured include a UAE citizen, a Jordanian national and an Indian national, officials said. Ac
WorldMar 25, 2026

South Africa arrests 12 senior police officers in corruption probe tied to service contract

South African anti-corruption investigators have arrested 12 senior police officers on allegations of corruption and fraud, according to a statement released Wednesday by the National Prosecuting Authority’s investigative directorate. The officers appeared in court in Pretoria following their arrests. Authorities allege the case is linked to a contract involving the provision of health and wellbeing services to police personnel. A 13th individual, identified as a company director connected to the contract, was also taken into custody, the agency said. According to the prosecuting authority,
WorldMar 25, 2026

Australia to temporarily restrict Iranian tourist visa entries over overstay concerns

Australia’s federal government says it will temporarily bar Iranian nationals from entering the country on tourist visas, citing concerns about visa overstays. According to a government announcement, the measure takes effect Thursday and is expected to remain in place for about six months. Home Affairs officials say the restriction applies specifically to new arrivals on short-term visitor visas. The federal home affairs minister said the decision was made due to concerns that some travellers may remain in Australia after their visas expire. Authorities estimate about 7,000 Iranian nationals
american-academic-released-by-taliban-authorities-in-afghanistan-officials-say
WorldMar 24, 2026

American academic released by Taliban authorities in Afghanistan, officials say

Afghanistan’s Taliban government says it has released American academic Dennis Coyle, who had been held in the country since January 2025. According to a statement issued Tuesday by Afghanistan’s foreign ministry, Coyle was released in Kabul on the occasion of Eid al-Fitr, the holiday marking the end of Ramadan. The ministry said the decision followed an appeal from Coyle’s family and came after the country’s Supreme Court determined that his time in custody was sufficient. Afghan authorities had previously detained Coyle on allegations of violating local laws, but did not publicly spe
WorldMar 24, 2026

Iran launches new missile strikes on Israel as cross-border attacks continue into day 25

Iran launched a series of missile strikes targeting Israel from Monday night into Tuesday, marking the 25th day of ongoing hostilities involving Iran, Israel and the United States. According to statements attributed to Israeli authorities, Iran carried out seven missile attacks during that period. Israeli officials did not immediately release independent verification of damage or casualties from the latest strikes. In response, Israel continued its counter-offensive operations. The Israeli Air Force said it struck more than 50 Iranian-linked targets overnight, including missile launch sites an
modi-trump-discuss-middle-east-tensions-stress-importance-of-hormuz-shipping-route
WorldMar 24, 2026

Modi, Trump discuss Middle East tensions, stress importance of Hormuz shipping route

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump to discuss the evolving security situation in the Middle East, according to a statement shared by the U.S. envoy in India. Sergio Gor said in a social media post that both leaders focused on regional stability and emphasized the importance of keeping the Strait of Hormuz open for global shipping. The Strait of Hormuz is a critical maritime corridor through which a significant portion of the world’s oil supply passes. Ongoing tensions involving Iran have raised concerns about potential disruptions to the ro
WorldMar 20, 2026

Iran warns U.K. over potential use of military bases in U.S. operations

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has warned United Kingdom that it could be considered a party to any military action against Iran if it allows the United States to use British bases for such operations. According to statements attributed to Araghchi, he said any cooperation enabling U.S. strikes would be viewed by Tehran as direct involvement. He also accused the United States and Israel of violating international laws and principles in carrying out attacks against Iran. The claims have not been independently verified. Araghchi described the United Kingdom and some European countries
WorldMar 20, 2026

Premium petrol, industrial diesel prices rise in Delhi amid Middle East tensions

Premium petrol and bulk diesel prices have increased in New Delhi, with officials linking the change to rising global oil and gas costs amid ongoing tensions in the Middle East. According to information from India’s Petroleum Ministry, the price of premium petrol rose by ₹2 per litre on Friday. The revised rate brings premium petrol in the capital to ₹101.89 per litre, up from ₹99.89. The price of diesel sold in bulk to industrial users has also seen a sharp increase of about ₹22 per litre. Industrial diesel is now priced at ₹109.59 per litre in Delhi, reflecting higher input costs
pentagon-submits-request-for-additional-200-billion-tied-to-iran-conflict-official-says
WorldMar 19, 2026

Pentagon submits request for additional $200 billion tied to Iran conflict, official says

The U.S. Department of Defense has submitted a request to the White House seeking an additional $200 billion in funding tied to the ongoing Iran conflict, according to a senior administration official. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal deliberations, said the request has not yet been formally transmitted to Congress for consideration. It remains unclear whether the White House will advance the proposal. According to the official, the funding request would come on top of supplemental defence spending approved last year as part

Just In

CanadaAug 17, 2026

Applications for Canadian Citizenship Certificates Surge, Driven by Thousands of Americans

Applications for Canadian citizenship certificates from around the world have increased sharply, with American citizens accounting for a significant share of the rise. The Bill C-3 legislation, implemented by the federal government late last year, opened a pathway to citizenship for people with Canadian ancestry, including those whose ancestors left Canada several generations ago. According to the latest figures from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), 6,100 citizenship certificates were issued between the implementation of Bill C-3 in mid-December and May 31. Nearly half of t
canadas-proposed-under-16-social-media-ban-likely-to-face-charter-challenge
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada’s proposed under-16 social media ban likely to face Charter challenge

Experts say Canada’s proposed ban on social media access for children under 16 could face a constitutional challenge under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The issue has gained attention after France’s top court recently struck down a similar ban for children under 15, ruling that the measure was too broad and infringed on freedom of expression. Dalhousie University associate law professor Michael Karanicolas said a Charter challenge to Canada’s legislation is “almost inevitable.” He argued that social media has become an important platform for young people to participate
40-year-old-man-charged-in-surrey-sexual-assault-investigation
BCAug 17, 2026

40-Year-Old Man Charged in Surrey Sexual Assault Investigation

Criminal Code charges have been approved against a 40-year-old man following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving a female youth at Bear Creek Park. Police say officers responded to the park on August 9, 2026, after receiving a report that a female youth had been groped by an adult male. The suspect allegedly fled the scene before officers arrived. On August 12, SPS released photos of the suspect and appealed to the public for help identifying him. A man matching the suspect’s description was identified and arrested later that day. The B.C. Pro
AlbertaAug 17, 2026

Calgary Police Seek Public Help to Locate Suspect After Assault

Calgary police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 22-year-old suspect wanted in connection with an assault that sent three people to hospital. Police were called to Spanky’s Saloon on Friday night, where officers found three injured men. One of the victims appeared to have suffered a stab wound. Investigators believe all three men were assaulted by the same suspect. Police say the 22-year-old is currently wanted on a warrant for multiple charges and are asking anyone with information about his whereabouts to contact authorities.
BCAug 17, 2026

Third Shooting Near Schools in Fort St. John in a Month, Police Investigating

Police in Fort St. John, B.C., are investigating a shooting that marks the third incident involving gunfire near schools in the city since July 22. According to police, shots were fired at around 10 p.m. Friday in the 8800 block of 107A Avenue. A residence was targeted in the incident. Following an initial investigation, officers believe the shooting was targeted. No suspect has been identified or arrested so far. Fort St. John RCMP’s Serious Crime Unit, Street Enforcement Team and frontline officers are working together on the investigation. Police and B.C. Emergency Health Services have no