15.56°C Vancouver

Jun 25, 2020 2:16 AM -

Rahul Gandhi holds meeting with Congress state heads, slams PM Modi's 'non-seriousness' regarding COVID-19 crisis, border tensions

Share On
rahul-gandhi-holds-meeting-with-congress-state-heads-slams-pm-modis-non-seriousness-regarding-covid-19-crisis-border-tensions
Former Congress president Rahul Gandhi and general secretary KC Venugopal held a meeting with party's state presidents on Wednesday through video conferencing. Photo-ANI

Former Congress president Rahul Gandhi and general secretary KC Venugopal held a meeting with party's state presidents on Wednesday through video conferencing to discuss the country's tension with China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the situation in the country due to COVID-19 pandemic and rising fuel prices.

In memory of the 20 soldiers who lost their lives in the violent face-off with China at Galwan Valley in Ladakh, the party has decided to hold a 'Salute to the Martyrs' programme across the country on June 26.

The Congress has directed state units to stage a dharna (sit-in protest) at all district headquarters across the country on June 29 against the rising prices of diesel and petrol.

According to sources, Rahul Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi are also expected to participate in the programme to be held in Delhi on June 26. The venue of the programme is not decided yet and it may be tentatively held in front of Mahatma Gandhi's statue inside the Parliament premises. In this regard, the Delhi Congress has called for a meeting on Thursday.

According to a source, Rahul Gandhi has asked all the state presidents to put forward the "failure" of the government on all three issues very strongly. Rahul Gandhi said in the meeting that he had already warned about the crises in the country, but "Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not act on it".

The Congress scion said that whether it is the worsening economic situation or COVID-19 outbreak, the Prime Minister's "attitude is responsible for the current situation of the country as he did not take any problem seriously and decisions were not taken on time".

He further said that China has started an action on the LAC under a thought-provoking strategy, which the government is not accepting. "Our foreign policy has completely collapsed," he added.

The former Congress president said the country's relations with friendly and neighbouring countries have deteriorated and alleged that the Prime Minister is responsible for it.

He said that Congress demanded immediate financial assistance to the public through direct benefit transfer but the government is not ready to accept the same.

At the end of the meeting, many state presidents spoke of the Congress workers' desire that the reins of the party should be taken over by Rahul Gandhi. Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot had raised this demand in the meeting of the Congress Working Committee. Several leaders have also written a letter to Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday in this regard.

Latest news

AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa
abbotsford-police-arrest-suspect-in-two-armed-street-robberies
BCMay 19, 2026

Abbotsford police arrest suspect in two armed street robberies

Abbotsford Police say a South Asian male youth has been arrested in connection with two separate armed street robberies reported in the city last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspect. According to police, the first incident happened on April 14 near the intersection of McClure Road and Trethewey Street during the afternoon hours. The second robbery was reported on April 30 at night near Exhibition Park along the Discovery Trail. Investigators allege the same suspect was involved in both incidents. Police said the victims were threatened with a firearm and had jewelry stolen d
poilievre-criticizes-federal-government-after-latest-inflation-report
BCMay 19, 2026

Poilievre criticizes federal government after latest inflation report

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is criticizing the federal government following the release of the latest inflation figures from Statistics Canada, saying rising living costs continue to put pressure on Canadian families. In a statement issued after the report was released, Poilievre said food prices are increasing faster than the overall inflation rate and argued Canadians are paying more for everyday essentials while receiving less in return. He also pointed to continued high energy and fuel prices, saying the cost of living remains a major concern for households across the country. Poi
daylight-shooting-in-langley-leaves-27-year-old-man-injured
BCMay 19, 2026

Daylight shooting in Langley leaves 27-year-old man injured

A 27-year-old man was injured in a daytime shooting in Langley on Saturday, with police saying the incident is believed to be targeted and the investigation remains ongoing. Langley RCMP said officers responded to reports of an assault in the 5400 block of Brydon Crescent at approximately 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital for treatment. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom said in a statement that investigators are working to determine the circumstances and motive behind the shooting. Police have not released information about any suspe

Related News