7.12°C Vancouver

Apr 3, 2020 9:38 PM -

Quebec Premier: Provincial police looking to use cell phone data to track the movements of people infected with COVID-19

Share On
quebec-premier-provincial-police-looking-to-use-cell-phone-data-to-track-the-movements-of-people-infected-with-covid-19
Quebec Premier Francois Legault responds to reporters questions at a daily news conference on the COVID-19 situation, Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at the legislature in Quebec City. Quebec's premier called on anyone large social media following to pass a message to Quebec teens and youth to stay inside and those influencers have heeded the call. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

Quebec Premier Francois Legault says provincial police are looking into using cell phone data to track the movements of people infected with COVID-19.

The premier said today police are not currently using that kind of data but may in the future.

Quebec is among many jurisdictions across the world that are either considering or already using electronic data to monitor people infected with the virus and those they come into contact with.

Quebec Premier Francois Legault says the province recorded 25 more deaths related to COVID-19 since the day prior, bringing the provincial total to 61.

But Legault said today the majority of the new recorded deaths did not occur in the past 24 hours, because the province had been investigating 20 prior fatalities to see whether they had been the result of COVID-19.

The premier says the province recorded an additional 583 positive cases of COVID-19, for a total of 6,101, and another 64 hospitalizations including 26 patients in intensive care.

Legault says medical authorities are planning to present to the public a series of projections related to COVID-19 next Tuesday.


Latest news

one-person-killed-in-tractor-trailer-collision-on-highway-1-near-lytton
BCNov 26, 2025

One person killed in tractor-trailer collision on Highway 1 near Lytton

A man has died following a collision between two transport trucks on Highway 1 in the Fraser Canyon, a stretch of roadway heavily used by commercial drivers moving goods through British Columbia. The crash happened Monday morning on Tank Hill Bridge, north of Lytton, and is now the focus of a police investigation into whether criminal driving behaviour may have contributed. BC Highway Patrol says the collision occurred shortly before 9 a.m. when a northbound Kenworth truck hauling two empty flat-deck trailers struck a southbound Volvo pulling two enclosed trailers. The 49-year-old Volvo driver
new-westminster-police-respond-to-three-pedestrian-collisions-in-three-days
BCNov 26, 2025

New Westminster police respond to three pedestrian collisions in three days

New Westminster police are urging drivers and pedestrians to take extra care after officers were called to three separate collisions involving people on foot over a three day period. The incidents, which occurred between November 22 and November 24, came at a time when shorter daylight hours are already increasing safety risks on city streets. The first collision was reported on November 22 in the 500 block of 6th Street, where a man told 9-1-1 he had been struck by a vehicle. Emergency crews from New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services and BC Emergency Health Services assessed the victim, wh
pedestrian-dies-after-collision-on-vedder-road-in-chilliwack
BCNov 26, 2025

Pedestrian dies after collision on Vedder Road in Chilliwack

A woman has died after being struck by a pickup truck while crossing Vedder Road in Chilliwack on Tuesday afternoon. RCMP say the collision happened around 4:20 p.m. in a busy stretch of the roadway between the Highway 1 overpass and Luckakuck Way, an area often used by commuters and nearby commercial traffic. Investigators report that the 63-year-old pedestrian had crossed into the centre median before stepping back into the southbound lane, where she was hit by a 2007 GMC Sierra driven by a 63-year-old man. Police say the driver and several witnesses stopped immediately and attempted first a
punjab-raises-sugarcane-procurement-price-by-15-rupees-ahead-of-crushing-season
IndiaNov 26, 2025

Punjab raises sugarcane procurement price by 15 rupees ahead of crushing season

The Punjab government has increased the state procurement price for sugarcane by 15 rupees per quintal, bringing the new rate to 416 rupees. The announcement was made by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann during the inauguration of a new sugar mill in Dinnanagar. The Chief Minister said Punjab now offers the highest state-advised price for cane farmers in the country. Haryana has set its rate at 415 rupees per quintal for the current season, creating a narrow but notable difference between the two neighbouring states. Farm groups in Punjab have been pressing for higher returns as input costs continu
winter-to-arrive-early-across-canada-weather-network-forecasts-colder-december
CanadaNov 26, 2025

Winter to Arrive Early Across Canada, Weather Network Forecasts Colder December

Canada is expected to see an early and sharp onset of winter this year, with frigid Arctic air pushing temperatures below seasonal averages, according to the Weather Network’s seasonal forecast. The outlook, covering December through February, also predicts near or above normal snowfall and precipitation across much of the country. Meteorologist Doug Gillham said there is still some uncertainty about whether the coldest periods will affect the entire country or remain concentrated in Western Canada. Regardless, he called it a “December to remember,” noting that the forecast does not poin

Related News

No records found.