24.25°C Vancouver

Nov 26, 2025 3:02 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

Winter to Arrive Early Across Canada, Weather Network Forecasts Colder December

Share On
winter-to-arrive-early-across-canada-weather-network-forecasts-colder-december
Snow-covered trees in a Canadian landscape as winter approaches. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Canada is expected to see an early and sharp onset of winter this year, with frigid Arctic air pushing temperatures below seasonal averages, according to the Weather Network’s seasonal forecast. The outlook, covering December through February, also predicts near or above normal snowfall and precipitation across much of the country.

Meteorologist Doug Gillham said there is still some uncertainty about whether the coldest periods will affect the entire country or remain concentrated in Western Canada. Regardless, he called it a “December to remember,” noting that the forecast does not point to a historically severe winter, but one with colder December and January conditions than recent years.

“Winter will show up this year, and it’s going to make its presence felt from the start,” Gillham said. He added that the contrast with the record-warm winter experienced two years ago highlights the seasonal variability Canadians are likely to feel this year.

One key factor behind the early chill is the polar vortex, a mass of strong winds circulating high above the Arctic that typically keeps frigid air near the poles. Warmer temperatures in that region are expected to disrupt the vortex, sending colder air southward across Canada in December and January.

The Weather Network forecast suggests that Canadians should prepare for a winter more in line with recent patterns rather than the extreme warmth seen in 2023, with a stronger signal for cold this season than last year.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News