23.65°C Vancouver

Oct 7, 2021 4:39 PM -

Pfizer to seek approval for its vaccine for kids as young as five in about a week

Share On
pfizer-to-seek-approval-for-its-vaccine-for-kids-as-young-as-five-in-about-a-week
A vial of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at an Alberta Health Services vaccination clinic in Didsbury, Alta., Tuesday, June 29, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Pfizer Canada says it is preparing to ask Health Canada to authorize its COVID-19 vaccine for kids as young as five by mid-October.

The U.S. drugmaker submitted a formal request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today and the FDA intends to meet to discuss the submission on Oct. 26.

Last week Pfizer submitted data to both governments from a clinical trial on children five to 11 but hadn't formally requested authorization.

A spokeswoman for the company's Canadian arm says it is in the final stages of working with Health Canada ahead of the submission being made so kids between five and 11 can be given the shots here.

The vaccine was authorized for people at least 16 years old in December 2020 and for teenagers between 12 and 15 in May.

The dose for younger children is one-third the size given to adults and Pfizer and Health Canada have not yet said if vaccine supplies already in Canadian freezers can be adapted for use on children or if new shipments must be made.

Latest news

IndiaAug 18, 2026

Amritpal Singh May Contest from Dhuri, Could Take on CM Bhagwant Mann

Ahead of the 2027 Punjab Assembly elections, Akali Dal (Waris Punjab De) is considering fielding jailed Khadoor Sahib MP Amritpal Singh from Dhuri, the constituency represented by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann. According to information, Amritpal Singh has expressed interest in contesting from Dhuri in addition to Khadoor Sahib. The party is also considering Talwandi Sabo and Rampura Phul as possible options. A party leader from Kotkapura said Amritpal Singh is interested in contesting from Dhuri. He said all options are being discussed and, based on the outcome of the meeting, a formal proposal
WorldAug 18, 2026

9 Migrants’ Bodies Recovered After Boat Capsizes Off Libya

The bodies of around nine migrants have been recovered from the coast over the past two days following a boat capsizing incident in the Tajoura area, east of Libya’s capital, Tripoli. The Tripoli Red Crescent said the bodies were found in the Tajoura area, about 22 kilometres from Tripoli. Local authorities said around 19 people were believed to have been aboard the boat, raising fears that more bodies could wash ashore in the coming days. The Red Crescent said search and recovery operations are continuing in coordination with the relevant authorities. Meanwhile, the rescue ship Ocean Viking
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Calgary-Shaw by-election set for Sept. 14 following vacant seat

Elections Alberta has confirmed that a by-election in the Calgary-Shaw provincial constituency will be held Sept. 14. The official writ for the election has now been issued. The seat has been vacant since May, when former Environment and Protected Areas Minister Rebecca Schulz resigned following a recall petition launched against her. The United Conservative Party has nominated Mike Dery to contest the riding, while the NDP has nominated Kyle Campbell. NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi said electing Campbell would send a message to Premier Danielle Smith about her government's approach to separatists.
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Petition to Remove U.S. Ambassador Pete Hoekstra Surpasses 225,000 Signatures

A petition calling for the removal of U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra has surpassed 225,000 signatures, reflecting growing opposition to his comments and actions in Canada. The petition, launched by Calgary woman Lee Walker, alleges that Hoekstra’s statements have undermined Canada’s sovereignty. It calls for him to be declared persona non grata under the rules of the United Nations’ Vienna Convention and expelled from Canada. However, experts say Hoekstra’s actions have not reached the threshold that would normally justify such a diplomatic step. Green Party Leader Elizabeth M
canadian-exports-face-50-per-cent-tariff-threat-as-carney-speaks-with-trump
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Canadian exports face 50 per cent tariff threat as Carney speaks with Trump

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday evening as Canada faces the prospect of 50 per cent tariffs on some exports. Neither government has released details of the discussion. The tariff deadline is now less than 24 hours away. The federal government has indicated that Ottawa could respond with countermeasures if the U.S. tariffs take effect, raising the possibility of further escalation in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute. The new U.S. tariffs are expected to affect more than $20 billion worth of Canadian exports. Reports citing sources familiar with

Related News