21.11°C Vancouver

Sep 27, 2023 5:36 PM - The Canadian Press

Ottawa assures better information sharing after Nijjar's death : David Eby

Share On
ottawa-assures-better-information-sharing-after-nijjars-death-david-eby
While Eby says he's received no additional information about the killing, Trudeau and Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc made commitments to him to improve information sharing.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Premier David Eby says federal ministers have assured him British Columbia will get the information it needs to ensure the safety of its residents after a Sikh leader was killed in June.

His statement came on the same day that gurdwara councils in B.C. and Ontario called for the immediate suspension of all security and intelligence agreements with India and repeated their calls for a public inquiry into the death of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Surrey, B.C.

The British Columbia Gurdwaras Council and Ontario Gurdwaras Committee say it is clear, based on public reports, that intelligence agencies were aware of the threat to Nijjar's life, which "suggests a concerning failure of Canada's security agencies to prevent a foreseeable violent crime and gives rise to wider concerns within the community."

Eby said on Friday that he "strongly" suspected the federal government was holding back information that could help the province protect its residents with connections to India from foreign interference.

The premier spent two days in Ottawa this week meeting with various ministers and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and says he expressed the need for more information about safety concerns from the intelligence community so B.C. could "put in place provincial responses to address these issues faster."

While Eby says he's received no additional information about the killing, Trudeau and Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc made commitments to him to improve information sharing.

"The mechanisms by which that will happen are not clear yet, because they also advised that they believe the CSIS Act is the thing that's frustrating that information sharing, and they both committed that the work is well advanced in addressing that blockage," Eby told reporters Tuesday.

The CSIS Act outlines Canadian Security Intelligence Service roles and responsibilities, grants specific powers and imposes constraints. It also prohibits the agency from investigating acts of lawful advocacy, protest or dissent.

"I look forward to those reforms and we're taking all the steps we can in partnership with them to get whatever information can be shared despite that block without compromising any criminal investigation, so the province can take the actions we need to take to protect British Columbians," Eby said.

Latest news

canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his

Related News