13.64°C Vancouver

Jul 20, 2022 12:25 AM - Connect News

Operation Safe Driver Week: Commercial vehicle enforcement across the Lower Mainland places 142 trucks out of service

Share On
operation-safe-driver-week-commercial-vehicle-enforcement-across-the-lower-mainland-places-142-trucks-out-of-service
Burnaby RCMP partnered with several commercial vehicle enforcement partner agencies from across the Lower Mainland from July 10 to 16 as part of Operation Safe Driver Week. (Photo - Burnaby RCMP/Twitter)

Burnaby RCMP partnered with several commercial vehicle enforcement partner agencies from across the Lower Mainland from July 10 to 16 as part of Operation Safe Driver Week.

Operation Safe Driver Week is an annual enforcement initiative led by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance that targets unsafe driving behaviours from commercial vehicle drivers. It is a North America-wide initiative that aims to use education and enforcement to improve driving behaviours with the goal of reducing crashes on our roadways.

This year, the Lower Mainland Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Team conducted five operations, with one each in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey, Delta, and Abbotsford.

The agencies that took part in this year’s Operation Safe Driver Week included:

Abbotsford Police Traffic Unit

Burnaby RCMP Traffic Unit

City of Burnaby Bylaws

City of Coquitlam Bylaw Commercial Vehicle Unit

City of Surrey Bylaw Commercial Vehicle Unit

Delta Police Commercial Vehicle Unit

Metro Vancouver Transit Police Traffic Unit

New Westminster Police Commercial Vehicle Unit

Passenger Transportation Branch Enforcement Team

Vancouver Police Department Commercial Vehicle Unit

The enforcement efforts undertaken in the Lower Mainland for Operation Safe Driver Week this year found:

80 speeding trucks

21 truck drivers driving distracted

26 trucks disobeying a traffic control device

29 truck drivers failing to wear a seatbelt

1 impaired truck driver

1 fatigued truck driver

Officers also conducted commercial vehicle inspections at the same time to ensure every commercial vehicle stopped was safe to be on the road. This resulted in:

217 trucks inspections

142 (65%) trucks placed out of service

634 violations identified

251 violation tickets issued

"Operation Safe Driver Week is an important reminder to commercial truck drivers of not only their obligation to engage in preventative maintenance, but also their requirement to engage in safe defensive driving habits. To find this many truck drivers engaging in unsafe driving habits combined with how many trucks were mechanically unfit to be on the roadway is concerning," said Cst. Kevin Connolly, Burnaby RCMP's commercial vehicle inspector.

The Lower Mainland Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Team continues to take a regional approach to improving commercial vehicle safety to achieve safer roadways for everyone in the Lower Mainland.

The nature of commercial vehicle traffic makes this a regional issue. We want commercial vehicle operators to know we will be continuing to do proactive enforcement across the Lower Mainland, Connolly added.

Latest news

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa

Related News