15.87°C Vancouver

Aug 22, 2024 6:37 PM - The Canadian Press

More shelter beds for people in Victoria street camp cited by police for 'hostility'

Share On
more-shelter-beds-for-people-in-victoria-street-camp-cited-by-police-for-hostility
A statement from the Housing Ministry says that up to 72 new beds will be made available for people living on Pandora Avenue and elsewhere.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Dozens of new shelter beds are opening for people living on the streets in Victoria, including at an encampment where police escorts have been required for emergency responders.

A statement from the Housing Ministry says that up to 72 new beds will be made available for people living on Pandora Avenue and elsewhere.

It says BC Housing is funding up to 40 new spaces at shelters run by Our Place Society as well as 32 at a shelter operated by The Salvation Army.

Victoria Police last month announced that firefighters and paramedics would only attend the 900 block of Pandora Avenue with a police escort.

The move came after a paramedic was attacked and police were swarmed by a crowd, part of what police called an increase in "violence and hostility."

Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says it's "critical" that people experiencing homelessness have indoor shelter in order to get out of encampments.

"We are determined to provide a path out of homelessness and add even more housing throughout Victoria," he says in a statement.

The ministry says the spaces at Our Place Society shelters are for people 19 and older, while the Salvation Army spaces are for menseeking a recovery program.

Marianne Alto, mayor of Victoria, says in the provincial statement that she was "gratified" to see the new shelter spaces being made available.

Latest news

CanadaMay 22, 2026

China’s foreign minister to visit Canada next week amid improving bilateral ties

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is scheduled to visit Canada from May 28 to 30 in what officials describe as a step toward strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between the two countries. The visit will mark the first trip to Canada by a Chinese foreign minister in nearly a decade. Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said relations between China and Canada have recently improved and that both countries are working toward what he described as a “new type of strategic partnership.” According to the Chinese foreign ministry, Beij
alberta-voters-to-weigh-referendum-question-on-provinces-future-in-canada-on-oct-19-says-premier-smith
FeaturedMay 22, 2026

Alberta voters to weigh referendum question on province’s future in Canada on Oct. 19, says Premier Smith

Albertans will take part in a province-wide referendum on Oct. 19 that will ask voters to weigh in on Alberta’s future relationship with Canada, Premier Danielle Smith announced Thursday evening during a televised address. Smith said the provincial government plans to include a new “blended question” on the ballot aimed at reflecting the views of both groups advocating for Alberta to remain within Canada and those supporting greater sovereignty or separation. She said the wording was developed with input from the pro-Canada group Forever Canadian and the separatist group Stay Free Albert
poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini

Related News