17.16°C Vancouver

Jun 18, 2024 5:28 PM - The Canadian Press

McGill University ending negotiations with pro-Palestinian encampment on its campus

Share On
mcgill-university-ending-negotiations-with-pro-palestinian-encampment-on-its-campus
The protesters, meanwhile, have said they won't leave until the university ends its investments connected to Israel's military and cuts ties with Israeli institutions.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

McGill University says it is ending negotiations with pro-Palestinian activists who are occupying the lower field of its downtown Montreal campus.

The university is also planning disciplinary action against people participating in the encampment, which began in late April.

"Despite our ongoing efforts to discuss in good faith, the representatives of the encampment have maintained that their demands are non-negotiable while accusing the university of unwillingness to engage in fair discussions," McGill president Deep Saini said in a statement Tuesday.

"As it has become clear that no fruitful outcome will result from these talks, we are ceasing discussions."

Last week, encampment organizers rejected McGill's latest offer, which proposed to explore divesting from weapons manufacturers, to disclose more investments to include holdings below $500,000 and to fund students and scholars affected by the crisis in the Middle East.

The protesters, meanwhile, have said they won't leave until the university ends its investments connected to Israel's military and cuts ties with Israeli institutions.

Saini said the university will move ahead with its proposal, despite the failure of the negotiations. But McGill had also offered amnesty to students and staff participating in the encampment, which is now off the table. "As our proposal was rejected, the university will pursue disciplinary processes against individuals participating in the encampment to the full extent outlined in our policies," the statement reads.

Organizers of the encampment are set to hold a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

The university says the encampment has led to "a series of completely unacceptable incidents" since it began more than 50 days ago. The statement points to the occupation of the university's main administration building by pro-Palestinian protesters earlier this month, which led to 15 arrests.

It also mentions photos of Palestinian resistance fighters holding assault rifles that were used to advertise what protesters called a "revolutionary youth summer program" that began this week at the encampment.

"Despite efforts to reach out and hold discussions with the encampment, these behaviours have only escalated, and have continued to result in substantial costs and disruptions, including the relocation of convocation away from lower field," Saini said.

Last month, a Quebec judge denied an injunction request from McGill, saying the university had failed to demonstrate an urgent need to dismantle the camp. The university is now seeking an interlocutory order to evict the protesters, but the case has not yet been heard.

McGill has also requested help from police. But on Monday, Montreal police said the encampment is a civil dispute and they don’t yet have a legal basis to intervene.

Latest news

vancouver-granville-street-homicide-35-year-old-man-arrested
BCAug 19, 2026

Vancouver Granville Street Homicide: 35-Year-Old Man Arrested

Vancouver Police have arrested 35-year-old James Christopher Holmgren after Crown counsel approved a second-degree murder charge in connection with a fatal stabbing on Granville Street last year. Police were called to the area of Granville Street and Helmcken Street on November 17, 2025, after reports of a man suffering from a stab wound. The victim, 20-year-old Aymen Al-Hafidh, was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Holmgren was arrested by Vancouver Police Homicide Unit detectives and remains in custody.
b-c-wildfires-destroy-or-damage-more-than-500-buildings-this-year
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Wildfires Destroy or Damage More Than 500 Buildings This Year

More than 500 homes and buildings have been destroyed or damaged by wildfires across British Columbia this year, marking one of the province’s worst years for structural wildfire damage in recent years. Although the total area of forest burned remains lower than in some record-breaking fire seasons, more than 1,000 wildfires have already caused significant damage to structures. Four major fires - Bald Range near Summerland, the Bradley Complex near Vernon, the Big Bar Complex near Clinton and the Brunswick Complex near Boston Bar - have grown to major incidents, with only the Bradley Compl
IndiaAug 19, 2026

Kolkata Hotel Fire Kills 9, Including 5 Bangladeshis

A devastating fire broke out at a hotel in Kolkata, West Bengal, early Wednesday morning, killing around nine people, including five Bangladeshi nationals. A child was also among those who died. Police officials said the fire broke out on the second floor of the hotel at around 2:50 a.m. local time and was brought under control within about an hour. A preliminary investigation suggests that an electrical short circuit may have caused the fire. According to Bangladesh’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, four of the five Bangladeshi nationals who died were members of the same family. Six other Bang
canada-u-s-trade-deal-trump-announces-no-new-tariffs-auto-tariffs-to-get-relief
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada-U.S. Trade Deal: Trump Announces No New Tariffs, Auto Tariffs to Get Relief

Canada-U.S. trade relations could be entering a new phase. U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday while speaking to reporters in Washington that no new tariffs will be imposed on goods coming from Canada. He also announced some relief from the tariffs imposed on Canadian automobiles. Trump described the proposed trade agreement as a “great” deal for American farmers and a very good deal for both countries. Meanwhile, during a meeting with Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc in Washington, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters that the two countries had reached an
maple-ridge-shooting-leaves-56-year-old-man-critically-injured
BCAug 19, 2026

Maple Ridge shooting leaves 56-year-old man critically injured

A 56-year-old man has been critically injured in an overnight shooting in Maple Ridge, B.C. Police say the shooting happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday at a home in the 11400 block of 236 Street. Officers responding to reports of gunshots found the wounded man inside a vehicle outside the residence. The Maple Ridge RCMP Serious Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. Police say no motive has been established and no suspect information has been released. Investigators are asking anyone who witnessed the shooting or has dashcam footage from the area around the time of the incident to come forwa

Related News