26.55°C Vancouver

Jun 19, 2020 11:36 PM -

Longest stretch of no COVID-19 death in B.C., seven new cases reported

Share On
longest-stretch-of-no-covid-19-death-in-b-c-seven-new-cases-reported
(File) -  British Columbia's public health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry giving her views during a press conference. - B.C. government

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia:

"Today, we are announcing seven new COVID-19 confirmed positive cases, for a total of 2,790 cases in British Columbia.

"There are 178 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 2,444 people who tested positive have recovered."Of the total COVID-19 cases, 11 individuals are hospitalized, six of whom are in intensive care.

The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.

"Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 952 cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 1,446 in the Fraser Health region, 130 in the Island Health region, 197 in the Interior Health region, and 65 in the Northern Health region.

"There have been no new COVID-19 related deaths for a total of 168 deaths in British Columbia.

We offer our condolences to everyone who has lost their loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. In total, six long-term care or assisted-living facilities and one acute care facility have active outbreaks.

"There have been no new community outbreaks. Public health teams continue to provide support for the three remaining community locations.

“We’ve recently been made aware of some serious allegations of racist activities within one or more hospital emergency departments in B.C.

“There is no place in our province for racism of any kind.

Not on our streets, at work, at school and not in our health-care system.


Latest news

poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees
33-year-old-woman-arrested-after-multi-vehicle-crash-on-highway-1-in-abbotsford
BCAug 21, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Arrested After Multi-Vehicle Crash on Highway 1 in Abbotsford

Abbotsford police have arrested a 33-year-old woman in connection with a multi-vehicle crash on Highway 1 Thursday night. Police say her red car collided with three other vehicles, including a semi-truck. The crash happened at around 10:41 p.m. in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1 near the Brander Road rest area. When officers arrived at the scene, they found several vehicles heavily damaged. According to the preliminary investigation, the woman was driving a Chevrolet Spark. The impact was severe, with part of the car's roof torn off and a tire coming off another vehicle. Despite the severity
montreal-to-equip-police-with-body-cameras-give-officers-new-powers
BCAug 21, 2026

Montreal to Equip Police with Body Cameras, Give Officers New Powers

Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada says police officers in the city will soon be equipped with body cameras and receive new powers to help them carry out their duties. The city plans to introduce a bylaw banning insults directed at municipal employees, including police officers. If approved, the bylaw would allow officers to issue fines to people who verbally abuse or insult them or other city employees. Martinez Ferrada made the announcement alongside Montreal’s police chief and the head of the police brotherhood. She emphasized that the proposed measure is not intended to prevent criti

Related News