2.56°C Vancouver

Feb 1, 2024 7:07 PM - Connect News

Liberals delay expansion of assisted dying eligibility until 2027

Share On
liberals-delay-expansion-of-assisted-dying-eligibility-until-2027
The current deadline for the implementation of the Medical Assistance in Dying Program for the mentally ill was March 17, which has now been postponed to March 2027. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

The Liberal government has delayed the Medical Assistance in Dying program until 2027 for people whose only illness is mental illness.

Health Minister Mark Holland introduced the Bill in this regard in the House of Commons this morning.

Holland said this would give the parliamentary committee another two years to assess whether the health system is ready for this.

Holland and Justice Minister Arif Virani said they agree with a recent parliamentary committee report that Canada's medical experts are not yet ready.

The current deadline for the implementation of the Medical Assistance in Dying Program for the mentally ill was March 17, which has now been postponed to March 2027.

It is worth mentioning that the government formed a special committee of 15 MPs and senators last year regarding the expansion of this program, which issued a report on Monday after hearing dozens of witnesses and concluded that it will not be appropriate to apply to people suffering from mental health.

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre is opposed to the expansion, saying mental health sufferers need help and care, not death.

Latest news

AlbertaFeb 12, 2026

Edmonton church deacon charged with sexual assault and interference

An Edmonton church deacon is facing criminal charges in connection with an alleged sexual offence reported to have taken place late last year. Edmonton Police Service say the investigation relates to an incident that occurred in November. A 48-year-old man has been charged with sexual assault and sexual interference. Police have not released additional details about the complainant in order to protect privacy. Investigators say they believe there may be other potential victims and are urging anyone with information or similar experiences to contact police. Authorities have not indicated whethe
activists-say-more-than-7-000-killed-in-iran-protest-crackdown-as-death-toll-disputed
WorldFeb 12, 2026

Activists say more than 7,000 killed in Iran protest crackdown as death toll disputed

Human rights activists say the number of people killed during last month’s nationwide protests in Iran has climbed to at least 7,002, sharply higher than figures released by the Iranian government. The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency reported Thursday that it has verified thousands of deaths through a network of contacts inside the country. The organization, which has tracked previous waves of unrest in Iran, said the count continues to rise gradually as it crosschecks information amid restricted communications and internet disruptions. Iran’s government has provided only one
u-s-house-debates-resolution-to-roll-back-trumps-fentanyl-related-tariffs-on-canada
CanadaFeb 12, 2026

U.S. House debates resolution to roll back Trump’s fentanyl-related tariffs on Canada

Members of the U.S. House of Representatives debated legislation aimed at ending tariffs imposed on Canadian goods under a fentanyl-related border emergency declared by President Donald Trump last year. Democratic Representative Gregory Meeks, who introduced the resolution, told lawmakers that Canada should not be treated as a security threat. He described Canada as a long-standing ally and argued that U.S. government data shows only a small fraction of fentanyl seizures occur along the northern border compared with the U.S.–Mexico boundary. President Trump declared a national emergency tied
surrey-police-seek-public-help-after-youth-assaulted-in-whalley-area
CanadaFeb 11, 2026

Surrey Police Seek Public Help After Youth Assaulted in Whalley Area

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a man accused of assaulting a teenage girl in the Whalley neighbourhood earlier this month. Police say the incident happened at about 4:35 pm on February 6, when the youth was walking eastbound along 100 Avenue near 123A Street. Investigators report that a man approached her from behind and briefly wrapped his arms around her upper body. The girl was able to free herself, and the suspect ran southbound on 123A Street. She was not physically injured. The suspect is described as an adult man, possibly White or Middle Ea
surrey-mayor-b-c-conservative-leader-express-condolences-after-tumbler-ridge-tragedy
BCFeb 11, 2026

Surrey mayor, and B.C. Conservative express condolences after Tumbler Ridge tragedy

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has expressed condolences following a tragic incident in Tumbler Ridge that has shaken communities across British Columbia. In a public statement, Locke said residents of Surrey stand in solidarity with the victims and their families during what she described as an extremely difficult time. “My thoughts are with the families in Tumbler Ridge who are facing this unimaginable loss,” Locke said, adding that the incident has deeply affected people across the province. She noted that Surrey, as one of B.C.’s largest cities, shares in the grief being felt in the north

Related News