24.52°C Vancouver

Oct 10, 2024 1:29 PM - Connect Newsroom – Debby Rai

Hospital system apologizes after Brampton Sikh man's beard shaved

Share On
hospital-system-apologizes-after-brampton-sikh-mans-beard-shaved
We take full responsibility for this incident and have extended our deepest apologies to the patient,his family and the Sikh community the joint statement said.

The William Osler Health System in Brampton has issued a public apology after hospital staff shaved the beard of an 85-year-old Sikh man without his consent, an act that violated his religious beliefs.

In a joint statement released Wednesday, Dr. Frank Martino, president and CEO of the William Osler Health System, and board chair Pardeep Singh Gill admitted the hospital “failed to uphold religious and cultural care practices.” They said the incident, which occurred in August, was done without medical necessity.

“We take full responsibility for this incident and have extended our deepest apologies to the patient, his family and the Sikh community,” the statement said.

According to the World Sikh Organization (WSO), which brought the incident to light last month, the patient, Joginder Singh Kaler, had never shaved or cut his beard in his lifetime. The organization said the act caused deep distress to both Kaler and his family.

Gill noted that Brampton is home to one of the largest Sikh communities outside of Punjab, emphasizing that local hospitals must be aware of and respectful toward Sikh religious practices. “The community must have confidence that their beliefs will be upheld in all aspects of care,” he said.

The hospital said it has launched an internal review and will provide additional training to ensure staff understand and respect patients’ faith-based needs.

Latest news

AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,
cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre Holds Video Call With Reza Pahlavi, Invites Him to Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre held a video conference today with Iran’s exiled former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi and invited him to visit Canada. Sharing details of the conversation, Poilievre said they discussed the current regime in Tehran and the mission to establish a free and democratic Iran. He also mentioned the strong support he received from Vancouver’s Iranian community for holding talks with Pahlavi. Poiliev was in the North Vancouver–Capilano riding last week, where a by-election is scheduled for August 31. On Saturday, he attended a meeting organized by the Conservativ
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday

Related News