24.66°C Vancouver

Jul 5, 2024 5:55 PM - The Canadian Press

Heat wave settling over B.C., temperatures set to rise over the weekend

Share On
heat-wave-settling-over-b-c-temperatures-set-to-rise-over-the-weekend
The agency has expanded a series of heat warnings to include the Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound, where daytime highs are forecasted to reach 32 C.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

A heat wave is settling over parts of British Columbia with Environment Canada warning of very high temperatures stretching into next week.

The agency has expanded a series of heat warnings to include the Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound, where daytime highs are forecasted to reach 32 C.

The hottest temperatures are expected to start hitting the province Sunday.

Environment Canada had already issued heat warnings for eastern Vancouver Island, where daytime highs are expected to hit the low 30s.

Another warning covers the Kitimat and Terrace regions, where highs near 30 C are expected Saturday until Tuesday night.

The agency says the heat poses a moderate risk to public health, but more seasonal temperatures are expected later next week.

It says the heat warnings may be expanded further, as the ridge of high pressure moves from west to east across the province bringing hot, dry weather.

The current forecast for Kamloops, B.C., says the mercury is expected to hit 40 C on Monday and Tuesday, followed by 39 C on Wednesday.

Environment Canada says the risks associated with heat are elevated for seniors and people with conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and mental health challenges.

People are encouraged to watch for signs of heat illness including heavy sweating, rashes and fainting — and to check in on friends and neighbours who may be at greater risk, especially if they live by themselves.

A special weather statement is also in effect for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, where temperatures are set to reach into the high 20s and low 30s.

Latest news

BCAug 20, 2026

33-Year-Old Woman Charged in Connection With Two Grass Fires in Vernon

A 33-year-old woman has been charged with six serious offences in connection with two separate grass fires that occurred in Vernon, in B.C.’s Okanagan region, on Aug. 4. According to Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, the first fire was reported on Kammenz Road near Bench Row Road in the afternoon. About 20 minutes later, a second fire was discovered at Carlson Park. Following an investigation, police arrested 33-year-old Maria Benning Bear, a resident of West Kelowna, on Aug. 14. She is facing six serious charges, including arson, mischief causing property damage, possession of incendiary material
senior-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-translink-bus-in-surrey
BCAug 20, 2026

Senior Man Dies After Being Struck by TransLink Bus in Surrey

A senior man who was seriously injured after being struck by a TransLink bus in Surrey last month has died in hospital. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, was found seriously injured at the intersection of 128 Street and 96 Avenue at around 9:41 p.m. on July 11. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he later died while undergoing treatment. Police believe the incident occurred near a bus stop. The initial investigation has ruled out factors such as excessive speed and impairment as possible causes of the crash. SPS is asking anyone w
AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,
cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi

Related News