17.96°C Vancouver

Mar 11, 2025 4:46 PM - The Canadian Press

DNA analysis confirms remains as Mission, B.C., teen, missing since 2007

Share On
dna-analysis-confirms-remains-as-mission-b-c-teen-missing-since-2007
Mission RCMP say that the BC Coroner's Service has since confirmed the result and Surtel's family was notified last week.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Mounties says DNA testing has confirmed remains that washed ashore in Washington State almost 17 years ago are those of a teenager who went missing from Mission, B.C., more than a year earlier.

Police say that 17-year-old Jeffrey Surtel was reported missing by his family on April 29, 2007, and despite search efforts and several tips of possible sightings, he was not found.

They say that in August 2008, human remains washed up on Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

The RCMP say Clallam County Sheriff’s Office investigated, conducted DNA analysis of the remains and compared it with samples across multiple databases in the United States, but no matches were found.

They say that in 2024, the sheriff’s office raised funds through crowdfunding donations, and sent the DNA for testing at a private laboratory in Texas earlier this year.

The Mounties say that lab used forensic genetic genealogy and was able to link the DNA to a member of Surtel's extended family.

Mission RCMP say that the BC Coroner's Service has since confirmed the result and Surtel's family was notified last week.

They say that investigators on both sides of the border have confirmed that there is no indication of criminality, although the circumstances surrounding the teen's disappearance and death remain unknown.

Insp. Ted Lewko of the Mission RCMP detachment says police hope the update brings some closure to Surtel's loved ones after 18 years of wondering what happened.

"Our sincere thanks to the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office for their perseverance in finding answers, and to the lab that was able to help link the DNA to Jeffrey’s family," Lewko says in a news release.

"Your efforts have made a real difference to those who knew and loved Jeffrey.”

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News