21.02°C Vancouver

Jan 12, 2024 5:08 PM - Debbie Rai - Connect Newsroom

City of Surrey refuses to pay new SPS recruits: Union

Share On
city-of-surrey-refuses-to-pay-new-sps-recruits-union
City says they have good reason to withhold wages but the Surrey Police Union is not accepting it.

A dispute between the City of Surrey and the Surrey Police Union has escalated after the city refused to pay salaries for newly recruited officers, citing budget overruns.

Union spokesperson Ryan Buehring said members were shocked to learn just before Christmas that the city would not add recruits to its payroll. “These officers joined in good faith, and to be told days before the holidays that they would not be paid is unacceptable,” Buehring told Connect Newsroom.

The city confirmed it sent a letter on December 19 advising the Surrey Police Service that additional hires should not have been made, given financial pressures. A city spokesperson said the police service’s 2023 budget of $48.7 million had already been exceeded by about $23 million, bringing total spending close to $75 million.

City consultant Peter German said the cost overrun demonstrates the challenges of running two parallel policing models while the RCMP remains in transition.

The union, however, argues the decision undermines confidence in the city’s ability to manage the transition and places unfair stress on officers. Residents who spoke with Connect Newsroom expressed frustration that political disputes are delaying a clear path forward. Ranjit Takkar, a Newton resident, said she worries about front-line stability. “We just want a consistent police force. The back-and-forth hurts morale and public trust,” she said.

The issue is expected to resurface when Surrey council reconvenes in January, with councillors divided over whether to continue the transition to the Surrey Police Service or retain the RCMP.

Latest news

trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to
metro-vancouver-workers-escalate-job-action-over-burrard-inlet-dredging
BCAug 18, 2026

Metro Vancouver Workers Escalate Job Action Over Burrard Inlet Dredging

Unionized Metro Vancouver outside workers have stepped up job action, with picket lines established at two water main projects in Vancouver and North Vancouver. The Greater Vancouver Regional District Employees’ Union says the projects must be completed before planned dredging beneath the Second Narrows Ironworkers Memorial Bridge can begin in September. The dredging is intended to allow larger oil tankers carrying greater loads to navigate Burrard Inlet. The plan has received support from the federal government. The outside workers and Metro Vancouver have been without a new collective agre

Related News