24.4°C Vancouver

Apr 3, 2020 3:30 PM - Vasu Kumar

City of Surrey lays off over 2000 employees

Share On

The City of Surrey has laid off 1,900 part-time and auxiliary staff and 140 regular employees following the closure of recreation centres, libraries, pools, and other civic facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Other municipalities are making similar cuts. The City of Vancouver has laid off about 1,500 workers, mostly from community centres, libraries, and theatres. In Delta, 500 auxiliary and part-time workers – 90 per cent tied to community centres – are also off the job.

Residents say the closures have left families struggling without access to community spaces. Baljit Kaur, a mother of two in Surrey, told Connect News Team she relied on the recreation centre for her children’s swimming lessons. “It’s not just about sports – it’s where kids learn, where parents meet, where the community connects. It feels like we’ve lost our second home,” she said.

Surrey Councillor Jack Hundial said the layoffs are temporary and the city hopes to bring staff back as soon as possible. “It will be a layoff with full intention of bringing everyone back that we can. These are great staff members that we have here and really the residents of Surrey are very lucky and fortunate to be able to have the staff that we do.”

City councils across the region are expected to debate emergency budget measures in the coming weeks, with some warning that property tax deferrals and falling revenues could widen shortfalls.

Latest news

senior-man-dies-after-being-struck-by-translink-bus-in-surrey
BCAug 20, 2026

Senior Man Dies After Being Struck by TransLink Bus in Surrey

A senior man who was seriously injured after being struck by a TransLink bus in Surrey last month has died in hospital. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man, believed to be between 60 and 65 years old, was found seriously injured at the intersection of 128 Street and 96 Avenue at around 9:41 p.m. on July 11. Paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he later died while undergoing treatment. Police believe the incident occurred near a bus stop. The initial investigation has ruled out factors such as excessive speed and impairment as possible causes of the crash. SPS is asking anyone w
AlbertaAug 20, 2026

Alberta to Host Second Town Hall on AI Data Centre Plans in Sturgeon County

Alberta Technology Minister Nate Glubish is set to host the province’s second town hall on its plans for artificial intelligence data centres on Thursday in Redwater, north of Edmonton. The event comes amid growing concerns over the environmental and economic impacts of large-scale AI facilities. Redwater is in Sturgeon County, where tech giant Meta is planning a $13-billion AI data centre project. The proposed facility would be a major investment in the region and is expected to be one of Canada’s largest data centres. The town hall follows a contentious meeting in Lacombe on Wednesday,
cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre Holds Video Call With Reza Pahlavi, Invites Him to Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre held a video conference today with Iran’s exiled former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi and invited him to visit Canada. Sharing details of the conversation, Poilievre said they discussed the current regime in Tehran and the mission to establish a free and democratic Iran. He also mentioned the strong support he received from Vancouver’s Iranian community for holding talks with Pahlavi. Poiliev was in the North Vancouver–Capilano riding last week, where a by-election is scheduled for August 31. On Saturday, he attended a meeting organized by the Conservativ

Related News