16.01°C Vancouver

Oct 4, 2024 7:23 PM - Connect Newsroom - Debby Rai with files from The Canadian Press

Canadian families trapped in Lebanon plead for evacuation as violence escalates; concern grows among Lebanese and Arab diaspora in Canada

Share On
canadian-family-stuck-in-lebanon-anxiously-awaits-flight-options-amid-israeli-strikes
The United Nations International Organization for Migration reported Thursday that 1,600 people have been killed and 6,000 injured in Lebanon in recent weeks. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

A Canadian citizen stranded in Lebanon with his family is pleading for evacuation as Israeli airstrikes continue to hit areas near Beirut, deepening fears among thousands of Canadians with roots in the region.

Jalal Tabaja, a father of four Canadian children, said he has relocated his family to a hotel in a quieter area north of Beirut, but nowhere feels safe as explosions echo across the capital. Tabaja, who lost both parents last week when their car was struck by an Israeli bomb, said he has been told that his family could get seats on a government-arranged evacuation flight on Sunday but is still awaiting confirmation.

Global Affairs Canada says it is working to help Canadians, permanent residents, and their immediate family members flee as fighting between Israel and Hezbollah intensifies. Officials estimate that about 25,000 Canadians are currently in Lebanon, with 5,000 requesting assistance and 2,300 already contacted to secure seats on government-chartered commercial flights.

The United Nations’ International Organization for Migration reports that more than 1,600 people have been killed and 6,000 injured in Lebanon in recent weeks.

The escalating conflict has caused deep anxiety within Canada’s Lebanese, Arab, and Muslim communities, particularly in cities such as Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary, where many families have relatives in Lebanon. Community organizations have urged Ottawa to expand evacuation flights and ensure temporary housing and consular support for returning Canadians.

“I’m grateful to the Canadian government for helping, but the process is slow,” Tabaja said. “People are terrified - we just want to come home safely.”

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News