17.86°C Vancouver

Sep 27, 2023 6:18 PM - The Canadian Press

Canada pledges $14 million for Afghan refugees in Pakistan after 2022 floods

Share On
canada-pledges-14-million-for-afghan-refugees-in-pakistan-after-2022-floods
The new funding is meant to help with rebuilding schools and health facilities, as well as providing sexual and maternal health services. (Photo: X/Ahmed Hussen)

International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen has unveiled $14 million to support global organizations in Pakistan to help accommodate Afghan refugees.

The funding is meant to help the World Health Organization and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees afford the added cost of last year's devastating floods in Pakistan.

Ever since the Taliban took over Kabul in August 2021, hundreds of thousands of Afghans have fled to neighbouring Pakistan, putting pressure on social services and infrastructure.

The 2022 floods in Pakistan affected 33 million people, and Hussen said it particularly hit communities hosting large numbers of Afghans.

The new funding is meant to help with rebuilding schools and health facilities, as well as providing sexual and maternal health services.

Canada has resettled more than 38,000 Afghans since then, and Hussen says 16,500 of them came from Pakistan.

Many more remain, and Hussen said the goal of the funding announcement was to make life more bearable for Afghans in Pakistan as well as the towns and villages where they live.

"What we're doing is making sure that we're there for them, particularly as the floods have made them even more vulnerable in these host communities," he said.

Hussen did not directly answer when asked about when the funds would flow and for how long.

Canada's ongoing resettlement of Afghans has been partially delayed by Pakistani bureaucracy, with the Veterans Transition Network noting last year that hundreds of Afghans had been stuck in Pakistan because the country wouldn't promptly issue exit visas to let them reach Canada.

Last fall, the NDP raised concerns about Afghan refugees awaiting resettlement to Canada being told by Pakistani officials they'd risk jail time or deportation if they didn't pay hundreds of dollars to get their visas extended.

Pakistan eventually assured Ottawa it would not deport Afghans, and Hussen thanked the country for its work hosting Afghans fleeing violence over decades.

"We do value everything that the government and people of Pakistan are doing for Afghan refugees. They're part of the global solidarity movement that is hosting refugees, and it's not an easy thing to do," he said.

"We thank them for that solidarity with refugees, and we have an ongoing, very productive and effective dialogue to work with them on the facilitation of Afghan refugees through Pakistan."

Latest news

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri

Related News