17.48°C Vancouver

May 21, 2020 7:31 PM -

BC Liberals reaffirm call for PPE funding to protect workers

Share On
bc-liberals-reaffirm-call-for-ppe-funding-to-protect-workers
Stores are seen closed in a near empty shopping mall in West Vancouver, Wednesday, May 13, 2020. Many of the stores are shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

Over a week since Official Opposition Leader Andrew Wilkinson called on the provincial government to help with funding toprovide access to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for small businesses, the BC Liberals are again pushing John Horgan for action.

“Last Tuesday I wrote to Premier Horgan hoping to get his support for funding PPE access for small businesses and non-profits looking to safely reopenbut we have yet to see any action on this important requirement for safely restarting our economy,” said Wilkinson.

"Without help to buy required PPE and safety upgrades, local businesses and organizations might be unable to reopen and many British Columbianscould remain jobless.”

Since the request was sent to the Premier last week, other jurisdictions have adopted similar policies of helping secure PPE for businesses and aretaking steps to prevent price gouging.

Manitoba created B2B Manitoba, an online marketplace to connect non-medical grade personal protective equipmentsuppliers with businesses who may need PPE to open and operate safely.


“Last week we called attention to the over $2 billion surplus at WorkSafeBC, which businesses across the province have paid into for years and couldnow be utilized to reimburse employers for the cost of PPE and safety infrastructure upgrades,” added MLA John Martin, the BC Liberal Labour Critic.

"With hundreds of thousands of people out of work and businesses on the edge of shutting down for good, thisgovernment needs to help small businesses secure PPE to protect the safety of workers and help rebuild our economy.”


Wilkinson's May 11th letter also called for clarity on WorkSafeBC guidelines for the reopening of businesses and organizations as well as a retroactiverebate or credit on WorkSafeBC premiums and payroll taxes.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News