14.78°C Vancouver

Jun 18, 2024 7:48 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. safety agency moves to cut risks for construction cranes after fatal accidents

Share On
b-c-safety-agency-moves-to-cut-risks-for-construction-cranes-after-fatal-accidents
WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

British Columbia's worker safety agency is moving to address "gaps" in construction crane safety after recent accidents, including fatalities.

WorkSafeBC says in a statement that it developed safety plans after bringing together 130 groups and individuals, including tower crane operators, unions, employers, contractors and the B.C. Association for Crane Safety.

It follows a series of incidents and accidents involving tower cranes in B.C., including the death of a worker in Vancouver in February when a load fell on them, and a crane collapse in Kelowna in 2021 that killed five men.

WorkSafe's Todd McDonald says they developed a risk-reduction strategy after the review.

Some of the key recommendations include reviewing the crane operator certification program and exploring how to improve training for supervisors, riggers, operators and those involved in assembling and taking down cranes.

Other suggestions include new regulations to address the frequency of tower crane inspections and increasing the capacity of WorkSafe's crane inspection team.

“With a greater number of cranes operating in increasingly complex work sites, we need to ensure that employers provide the training, supervision and safe work practices needed to keep workers safe in an evolving work environment," McDonald says.

Latest news

AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa
abbotsford-police-arrest-suspect-in-two-armed-street-robberies
BCMay 19, 2026

Abbotsford police arrest suspect in two armed street robberies

Abbotsford Police say a South Asian male youth has been arrested in connection with two separate armed street robberies reported in the city last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspect. According to police, the first incident happened on April 14 near the intersection of McClure Road and Trethewey Street during the afternoon hours. The second robbery was reported on April 30 at night near Exhibition Park along the Discovery Trail. Investigators allege the same suspect was involved in both incidents. Police said the victims were threatened with a firearm and had jewelry stolen d
poilievre-criticizes-federal-government-after-latest-inflation-report
BCMay 19, 2026

Poilievre criticizes federal government after latest inflation report

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is criticizing the federal government following the release of the latest inflation figures from Statistics Canada, saying rising living costs continue to put pressure on Canadian families. In a statement issued after the report was released, Poilievre said food prices are increasing faster than the overall inflation rate and argued Canadians are paying more for everyday essentials while receiving less in return. He also pointed to continued high energy and fuel prices, saying the cost of living remains a major concern for households across the country. Poi
daylight-shooting-in-langley-leaves-27-year-old-man-injured
BCMay 19, 2026

Daylight shooting in Langley leaves 27-year-old man injured

A 27-year-old man was injured in a daytime shooting in Langley on Saturday, with police saying the incident is believed to be targeted and the investigation remains ongoing. Langley RCMP said officers responded to reports of an assault in the 5400 block of Brydon Crescent at approximately 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital for treatment. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom said in a statement that investigators are working to determine the circumstances and motive behind the shooting. Police have not released information about any suspe

Related News