15.75°C Vancouver

Aug 30, 2021 9:47 AM -

Attack on farmers is kind of Talibani mentality, govt doesn't listen to farmers' Mann ki Baat: Sanjay Raut

Share On
attack-on-farmers-is-kind-of-talibani-mentality-govt-doesnt-listen-to-farmers-mann-ki-baat-sanjay-raut
Attack on farmers is kind of Talibani mentality, govt doesn't listen to farmers' Mann ki Baat: Sanjay Raut

Slamming the Bharatiya Janata Party-led government, Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut on Monday said the police action against protesting farmers in Haryana's Karnal is a kind of Talibani mentality.

Speaking to mediapersons, Raut said, "Attack on farmers is a shameful incident for the nation. This is a kind of Talibani mentality. Farmers are doing protests for two years on the Ghazipur border, Haryana border... They are fighting for their rights. SDM gave an order to break the head of the farmers and the government is not serious about this issue. How can this government say it is for the poor and for the farmers? It does not even listen to farmers' 'Mann ki Baat'."

The Shiv Sena MP's remarks came after several farmers were injured during the police action in Haryana's Karnal on Saturday. A farmer injured in the lathi-charge also died on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Sunday summoned Maharashtra Minister Anil Parab in connection with a money laundering case.

On this Raut said, "Our transport minister Anil Parab had received a notice suddenly by ED. This is not a big thing for us. This is not a death warrant. This is a medal for us. The ED has placed the best officer in the office of the BJP or the BJP functionary in the office of the ED. This kind of letter comes to those who work in politics."

He further said the Maha Vikas Aghadi government in Maharashtra is very strong and the BJP cannot break it.

"The government has been in power for two years and will complete its term. The wall will not break, no matter how hard you try. We welcome the love letter. No matter how many letters you send, millions of our Shiv Sainiks are ready," he added.

Haryana Police lathi-charged protesting farmers near the Bastar toll plaza on Saturday, where they gathered in large numbers to protest against a programme that Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar was scheduled to attend.

Following the incident, a clipping of a video went viral on social media, which was also tweeted by BJP MP from Pilibhit Varun Gandhi, in which Karnal SDM Ayush Sinha could be purportedly seen instructing policemen to "crack their (protesting farmers') heads" to prevent them from moving forward and not to let anyone breach the security cordon.

Later issuing clarification on the viral clipping, Sinha told ANI that, "Stone pelting had started at many places... It was said during the briefing to use force proportionately."

Latest news

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa

Related News