21.48°C Vancouver

Jan 30, 2024 3:15 PM - The Canadian Press

After pausing funding to UNRWA, Canada will send another $40M in aid for Gaza

Share On
after-pausing-funding-to-unrwa-canada-will-send-another-40m-in-aid-for-gaza
Canada suspended funding to UNRWA, the UN agency that supports Palestinians in Gaza, in response to allegations that its staff played a role in the Hamas attack in Israel on Oct. 7. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Canada is sending another $40 million in aid to organizations that are helping Palestinians in Gaza after pausing funding to the UN's relief agency in the region.

The funding will go to groups including the World Food Program, UNICEF, the World Health Organization and the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Canada suspended funding to UNRWA, the UN agency that supports Palestinians in Gaza, in response to allegations that its staff played a role in the Hamas attack in Israel on Oct. 7.

That came after international outcry when the agency's director fired staff members suspected of being involved in the attack.

The nature of their alleged involvement has not been made clear.

Canada has committed $100 million to humanitarian aid in Gaza so far.

Latest news

CanadaAug 17, 2026

Woman dies after entering Lake Ontario at Mississauga park

A woman has died after being swept into Lake Ontario at Jack Darling Memorial Park in Mississauga on Saturday night. According to Peel Regional Police, the incident happened at about 10:30 p.m. The woman was near the lake when she entered the water. Police have not confirmed the circumstances that led to her going into the lake. Emergency crews launched a search operation after the incident was reported. Police said the woman was pulled from the water at about 11:15 p.m., roughly 45 minutes after the search began. Paramedics took her to hospital in critical condition, where she later died desp
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada-U.S. trade talks enter critical stage as tariff differences remain

Canada and the United States have entered a critical stage in trade negotiations this week as Ottawa works to avoid new 50 per cent tariffs proposed by U.S. President Donald Trump. Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc held a virtual meeting over the weekend with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. Canada’s chief trade negotiator, Jannis Charette, also took part. LeBlanc remained in Washington on Monday, although no additional meetings were scheduled. According to sources, negotiations remain stalled over tariffs on lumber and automobiles. U.S. negotiators have refused to reduce t
peter-milobar-announces-departure-from-b-c-conservative-caucus
BCAug 14, 2026

Peter Milobar Announces Departure from B.C. Conservative Caucus

Senior B.C. Conservative MLA Peter Milobar has formally announced that he is leaving the party caucus, effective immediately. He will now sit as an independent MLA for Kamloops Centre in the B.C. legislature. Milobar said that over the past several months, it had become increasingly clear to him that his personal values no longer aligned with the party’s new direction under Leader Kami-Leon Findlay. He said he fully respects Findlay’s right to shape the party according to her vision, but stressed that his top priority remains serving the people of Kamloops Centre, a commitment that has not
gunfire-outside-former-jathedar-giani-raghbir-singhs-residence
IndiaAug 14, 2026

Gunfire Outside Former Jathedar Giani Raghbir Singh’s Residence

A firing incident involving the vehicle of former Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib and former Head Granthi of Sri Harmandir Sahib, Giani Raghbir Singh, has come to light. The incident was discovered when his driver noticed a bullet lodged in the vehicle while cleaning it and immediately informed the police. Giani Raghbir Singh said police have launched an investigation into the incident. He added that he also checked the CCTV footage outside his residence. According to the footage, a sound believed to be a gunshot was heard at around 11:04 p.m. on August 12, after which the security guard pres
b-c-premier-announces-three-cabinet-changes-as-brenda-bailey-takes-leave-for-cancer-treatment
BCAug 14, 2026

B.C. Premier Announces Three Cabinet Changes as Brenda Bailey Takes Leave for Cancer Treatment

British Columbia Premier David Eby has announced three cabinet changes following Finance Minister Brenda Bailey’s decision to take a leave of absence for cancer treatment and recovery. Bailey has been diagnosed with early-stage cancer that is treatable. She is expected to begin treatment in late August 2026 and return to work in early October. She will remain a member of cabinet during her leave. Effective August 14, the changes are: Josie Osborne — Minister of Finance Ravi Kahlon — Minister of Health Brenda Bailey — Minister of Jobs and Economic Growth Bailey is returning to the

Related News