6.23°C Vancouver

Aug 19, 2021 9:38 AM -

Afghan nationals gather outside Aussie embassy in New Delhi seeking visas

Share On
afghan-nationals-gather-outside-aussie-embassy-in-new-delhi-seeking-visas
Afghan nationals gather outside Aussie embassy in New Delhi seeking visas

Afghan nationals gathered in numbers outside the Australian Embassy here in the national capital seeking immigration visas following the recent takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban.

Australia has recently said it will over a year offer 3,000 places in its humanitarian visa program specifically for those now fleeing Afghanistan.

The country's Prime Minister Scott Morrison however clarified in a recent press conference that "I note that some are talking about figures of 20,000 but can I tell you there are no clear plans about that. Australia is not going into that territory".

"We heard that Australian Embassy is giving 3000 visas to Afghan nationals. When we came here, they gave us a form, which says we have to first send an email to UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) which will refer us to the embassy for visas. But UNHCR office doesn't respond," an Afghan national who had turned up at the embassy said.

Rabi Jalalzai, an Afghan national staying in India for two years said: "After Taliban captured our country, we can't go back there. People are trying to come to India as refugees but we are facing so many problems here. The UNHCR office is not helping us with anything. My family has applied for a visa and it has already been two years, but we don't even get a call for the interview."

Jalalzai added that it was impossible to fulfil the conditions for getting an Australian visa as it required a recommendation from UNHCR. "They are not calling us for the interview, then how will they recommend us. We are here for help but they even told us not to stand outside here and called the police," he stated.

Syed Abdullah, another Afghan national who has been staying in India for the past eight years said that he has not yet received any help from UNHCR in these eight years.

"We have security issues. I received a death threat from the Taliban as I worked with an NGO that was aided by European Union (EU) and United States (US). So I came here to get the visa as promised to refugees but we are not getting any clear answer," stated Abdullah.

Meanwhile, another refugee praised Indian hospitality but urged UNHCR to help them. "India has always welcomed us with open arms. I have friends here who are ready to help me. But I would like to request UNHCR to help us in this situation," he said.

Ever since Afghan President Ashraf Ghani fled Afghanistan on Sunday and the takeover by Taliban, Afghan nationals stuck in other countries, including India are facing an uncertain future.

Meanwhile, India has reviewed visa provisions and introduced a new category of electronic visa called "e-Emergency X-Misc Visa" with an aim to fast-track visa applications for entry into India.

Latest news

police-examine-shooting-that-damaged-home-in-north-surrey
BCNov 27, 2025

Police examine shooting that damaged home in north Surrey

Surrey Police Service and the Surrey RCMP’s Provincial Operations Support Unit say they are reviewing evidence after shots were fired at a home in the Fraser Heights area early Thursday morning. Officers were called around 3:05 am to a residence near 112 Street and 153A Street, where they confirmed the house had been struck by gunfire. Police say no one was hurt. The General Investigation Unit with the RCMP support unit has taken over the file and is gathering surveillance footage and witness statements. Investigators are also checking whether the incident may connect to other recent police
richmond-rcmp-warns-residents-as-sophisticated-grandparent-scams-resurface
BCNov 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP warns residents as sophisticated grandparent scams resurface

Richmond RCMP is urging residents to be cautious after a recent rise in reports of so-called grandparent scams, a type of fraud that often targets seniors but can impact anyone who receives an unexpected call claiming a loved one is in trouble. Investigators say the scams share a common pattern in which suspects create panic and pressure victims into paying large sums of money. Police say one of the latest cases involved a caller pretending to be an official with a foreign embassy. The scammer told the victim that their grandson had been detained and that urgent bail money was required. The vi
mission-rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-after-violent-home-invasion-and-weapons-theft
BCNov 27, 2025

Mission RCMP seeks public assistance after violent home invasion and weapons theft

Mission RCMP says investigators are searching for two outstanding suspects after a violent home invasion earlier this month that left several residents injured and resulted in the theft of multiple long guns. Police were called to a home around 1:30 a.m. on November 13, where intruders allegedly forced their way inside, used pepper spray on the occupants, and struck one person with a crowbar. Officers say one suspect was injured during the altercation with the homeowner before fleeing. About half an hour later, staff at a local hospital reported that a man with suspicious injuries had been dro
ottawa-and-alberta-sign-agreement-on-west-coast-pipeline-propose-path-to-revisiting-b-c-tanker-limits
CanadaNov 27, 2025

Ottawa and Alberta sign agreement on West Coast pipeline, propose path to revisiting B.C. tanker limits

The federal government and Alberta have signed a new memorandum of understanding that lays out a framework for advancing an oil pipeline to Canada’s West Coast, while also opening the door to potential changes to British Columbia’s tanker restrictions. Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith formalized the agreement at a ceremony in Calgary on Thursday, describing it as a step toward defining the project as one of national interest under the Building Canada Act. Under the terms released by officials, Ottawa says it would be prepared to adjust the West Coast tanker ban
akal-takht-acting-jathedar-meets-family-of-slain-jalandhar-teen-calls-for-strongest-penalties
IndiaNov 27, 2025

Akal Takht acting Jathedar meets family of slain Jalandhar teen, calls for strongest penalties

The acting Jathedar of the Akal Takht, Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargajj, met with the family of a 13-year-old girl who was killed during an alleged attempted sexual assault in Jalandhar, urging authorities to pursue the maximum punishment allowed under law. The visit comes as community members continue to express concern about the handling of the case. During the meeting, the Jathedar offered prayers for the victim and received a detailed account of the events from the family. He assured them that the Panth’s highest temporal seat, along with the broader Sikh community, supports the family as the

Related News