16.44°C Vancouver

News

home-prices-continue-to-rise-in-metro-vancouvers-housing-market-to-kick-off-the-summer
BCJul 05, 2023

Home prices continue to rise in Metro Vancouver’s housing market to kick off the summer

The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver says strong demand for the few homes listed for sale last month helped boost the benchmark price for all residential properties in the region to just over 1.2 million dollars.The board says that's up 1.3 per cent in a single month, although it's still more than two per cent below the benchmark price set one year ago.Overall, the board says the housing market continues to outperform expectations with the apartment or condo market eclipsing slightly slower sales in the townhouse and detached home sectors.The board also notes that sales continue to outst
talks-deadlocked-as-b-c-port-strike-enters-day-5
BCJul 05, 2023

Talks deadlocked as B.C. port strike enters day 5

Negotiations between the union representing British Columbia port workers and maritime employers have stalled and the workers' strike has entered its fifth day.More than 7,000 workers at 30 B.C. ports have been on strike since Saturday morning.The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Canada says that jurisdiction is being eroded by the use of contractors.Port automation and the cost of living are key issues in contracting.Business organizations as well as Alberta and Saskatchewan officials have asked Ottawa to move forward and end the strike, but federal Labor Minister Seamus O'Regan sa
canadian-government-suspends-advertising-on-facebook-instagram
CanadaJul 05, 2023

Canadian government suspends advertising on Facebook, Instagram

The Canadian government has given a severe blow to Meta which is opposing the Online News Act.Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez said the federal government is going to suspend all its ads on Facebook and Instagram.The Trudeau government minister said that Meta's threat to block Canadian news on its platforms in defiance of the Online News Act was irresponsible and unacceptable.He said that the government wants the two platforms to negotiate and pay Canadian media instead of local news while working on the regulatory process.The government said that the talks with Google are going in the right
joly-concerned-for-safety-of-indias-diplomats-calls-protest-poster-unacceptable
CanadaJul 04, 2023

Joly concerned for safety of India's diplomats, calls protest poster 'unacceptable'

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she is concerned about the safety of India's diplomats following what she calls an "unacceptable" poster for an upcoming protest near Toronto.The protest is planned in memory of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar who was killed in a shooting in British Columbia in June.A poster for the protest circulating on social media includes photos of India's top two diplomats in Canada, calls them "killers in Toronto" and suggests it's time to "kill India."Niijar was a vocal opponent of India and supporter of an independent Sikh state but police say they have fou
meta-looks-to-target-twitter-with-a-rival-app-called-threads
WorldJul 04, 2023

Meta looks to target Twitter with a rival app called Threads

Meta is poised to launch a new app that appears to mimic Twitter, marking a direct challenge to the social media platform owned by billionaire Elon Musk.A listing for the app called Threads, appeared on Apple's App Store, indicating it would debut as early as Thursday.It's billed as a 'text-based conversation app' that's linked to Instagram.The listing teases a Twitter-like microblogging experience.Instagram users will be able to keep their user names and follow the same accounts on the new app.Threads could be the latest headache for Musk, who has faced backlash over new daily limits on the n
hockey-canada-names-former-curling-canada-exec-katherine-henderson-as-president-ceo
CanadaJul 04, 2023

Hockey Canada names former Curling Canada exec Katherine Henderson as president, CEO

Hockey Canada is appointing Katherine Henderson as its next president and chief executive officer.She spent the last seven years as Curling Canada's CEO.Hockey Canada is coming off a scandal-filled year related to the national sport organization's handling of sexual assault allegations and settlement payouts.Federal and corporate funding was slashed as scandals mounted.Public faith in the organization took a significant hit.The board of directors resigned last October along with interim board chair Andrea Skinner.President and CEO Scott Smith also left the organization.Retired judge Hugh L. Fr
baltej-dhillon-appointed-chair-of-worksafebcs-board-of-directors
BCJun 30, 2023

Baltej Dhillon appointed chair of WorkSafeBC’s board of directors

Baltej Singh Dhillon has been appointed Chair of WorkSafeBC's Board of Directors for a three-year term effective Friday, June 30.Dhillon is the first South Asian Canadian to hold this role, and has been a member of WorkSafeBC's Board of Directors since 2017.Dhillon had a distinguished career as a police officer spanning more than three decades.Notably, Dhillon created history by becoming the first RCMP member to wear a turban as part of his uniform.In addition, he also received the Queen Elizabeth II Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals for community service.
b-c-health-authority-issues-drug-alert-after-benzodiazepines-found
BCJun 30, 2023

B.C. health authority issues drug alert after benzodiazepines found

A British Columbia health authority has issued a public warning after it says benzodiazepines were detected in vape juice sold in Chilliwack, B.C.Fraser Health issued an overdose alert Thursday saying the juice that tested positive contained cannabis and suspected synthetic cannabinoids and was sold in refillable, unmarked and unbranded cartridges.It did not specify where the product was sold.The alert says reported side-effects include prolonged sedation, nausea, vomiting and blackouts.Health Canada says benzodiazepines, or benzos, are a class of substances often used as sedatives and tranqui
google-set-to-remove-news-links-in-canada-meta-ends-contract-for-journalism-fellowship
CanadaJun 29, 2023

Google set to remove news links in Canada, Meta ends contract for journalism fellowship

Google says it will remove news links in Canada because of a new law that will force digital giants to compensate media outlets for content they share or otherwise repurpose online.Digital giant Meta is terminating the contract for a fellowship program that supports the hiring of a limited number of emerging journalists at newswire service The Canadian Press.The move comes amid fallout from the federal government's Online News Act, formerly known as Bill C-18, which became law last week.The law requires tech companies such as Facebook parent Meta and Google to negotiate deals compensating medi

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to