19.59°C Vancouver

News

CanadaSep 13, 2023

More than 2900 people died due to the earthquake in Morocco, Canada extended a hand to help

A Canadian aid worker in Morocco says he's seen scenes of "complete destruction" in the wake of a 6.8-magnitude earthquake that has killed more than 2,900 people and left many more injured and homelessHassaan Sheikh of Islamic Relief Canada says his team is distributing blankets and mattresses in villages near the quake's epicentre — about 70 kilometres south of the city of Marrakech — as bodies are being pulled from the rubble of flattened homes.Sheikh says that in the short term Moroccans need food, blankets and hygiene products, while in the longer term they will need their homes, roads
hurricane-lee-could-arrive-in-canada-as-weak-hurricane-or-strong-tropical-storm
CanadaSep 13, 2023

Hurricane Lee could arrive in Canada as weak hurricane or strong tropical storm

The Canadian Hurricane Centre says hurricane Lee couldmake landfall this weekend anywhere from Maine to southeastern NovaScotia. The centre in Halifax says Lee will likely approach the Atlanticregion as a weak hurricane or strong tropical storm that could dumpheavy rain over the area during the latter part of the week. Environment Canada meteorologists say that as the hurricane movesnorth, it will grow in size but is not expected to gain strength bymerging with other weather systems. As of this morning, the Category 3 hurricane was about 900kilometres south of Bermuda, churning out winds at 18
apple-reveals-iphone-15-series-with-usb-c-charging-port
CanadaSep 12, 2023

Apple reveals iPhone 15 Series with USB-C charging port

Apple has launched its new iPhone 15 Series today and for the first time the company has given a USB C charging port in it. The new lineup includes iPhone 15 starting at US$799 and iPhone 15 Plus starting at US$899. Apple chose not to raise prices during a tough period globally for smartphone sales. For the Pro series, prices start at US$999 and the Pro Max at US$1,199, the same prices as last year for the same levels of storage, available starting Sept. 22. Both the Pro and other iPhone 15 models will have a brighter display and a 48-megapixel camera as well as 100 per cent recycled cobalt in
AlbertaSep 12, 2023

Alberta allowed schools to purchase buses for students convenience

Alberta government has asked schools to submit applications for new funding by October 31, to overcome the transportation problem of students in province. A new initiative by the UCP government will allow school boards to purchase buses and extend transportation services to more Alberta students. $20 million in funding is now available to school boards that manage their own student transportation fleets. These funds are expected to support the purchase of up to 115 new buses. “Alberta’s conservative government is taking real and practical steps to help more students find transportation,"
surrey-to-get-second-hospital-cancer-centre-at-cost-of-2-88-billion
BCSep 12, 2023

Surrey to get second hospital, cancer centre at cost of $2.88 billion

A new hospital and cancer center has been announced in Surrey.Premier David Eby and Health Minister Adrian Dix made the announcement on Tuesday morning while laying the foundation stone.The new hospital will be built on 176th Street in the Cloverdale area near the Kwantlen Polytechnic University campus.Eby said this second hospital in Surrey will not only improve the health of people living in the region but will also change many lives.He said that people living in Surrey have been asking for this hospital for a long time and although the new hospital will be ready in 2029 at a cost of $2.88 b
vancouver-stabbing-premier-david-eb-upset-over-release-of-accused-from-hospital
BCSep 12, 2023

Vancouver stabbing: Premier David EB upset over release of accused from hospital

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he is "white hot" angry over the day release of a man from a forensic psychiatric hospital before he was arrested for a triple stabbing in Vancouver's Chinatown.Eby says the decision to release this man is beyond his comprehension.He wants to get to the bottom of how this all happened.Eby calls the violence "horrific".He says Blair Evan Donnelly stabbed his daughter in 2006, was sent to a psychiatric hospital, then released in 2009, and then stabbed someone else.The Premier wonders how the man was released a second time before Sunday's attack and he will
no-govt-celebrations-in-december-to-mark-martyrdom-of-guru-gobind-singh-jis-sahibzadas
IndiaSep 12, 2023

No govt celebrations in December to mark martyrdom of Guru Gobind Singh Ji's sahibzadas

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann has made a big announcement that no celebrations will take place in the month of December in Punjab.He said that this month is dedicated to the martyrdom of the descendants of the tenth Patshah Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and no celebration will take place in this month.Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann reached Saragarhi Gurudwara Sahib in Ferozepur Cantonment to pay tribute to the soldiers of Battle of Saragarhi on their martyrdom day.Along with this, CM Mann has announced to build a memorial on Saragarhi War.He said that the previous government had released
liberal-party-mps-meet-for-three-day-session-hoping-trudeau-hears-their-concerns
CanadaSep 12, 2023

Liberal Party MPs meet for three-day session, hoping Trudeau hears their concerns

Liberal MPs are gathering in London, Ont., to plan their strategy as the party grapples with rising discontentment toward Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.Polls show the Liberals have sunken to their lowest levels of support since taking government in 2015, largely to the benefit of the Conservatives.Most of the party's 158 MPs will meet in the southern Ontario city for three days to plot out their strategy for the fall parliamentary session.The meeting kicks off today with gatherings of small caucus groups, including women, Indigenous and rural MPs, which we be followed tomorrow by regional and
one-evacuation-imposed-another-dropped-as-b-c-wildfires-burn-through-september
BCSep 12, 2023

One evacuation imposed, another dropped, as B.C. wildfires burn through September

The latest evacuation order issued due to a wildfire in British Columbia covers a rural area north of Prince George in a region straddling the boundaries of two regional governments. The regional districts of Fraser-Fort George and Bulkley-Nechako issued the order Monday night as the 10-square kilometre Ocock Lake blaze moves toward properties in the Noonlang Lake area, about 150 kilometres north of Prince George.The order is the only one issued in B.C. in the last 24 hours, but several other orders and alerts have been ended or downgraded over the same period, including orders covering 25 hom

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees