3.72°C Vancouver

Dec 23, 2021 10:01 PM - Connect News

New relief funding coming for businesses ordered closed in B.C.

Share On
new-relief-funding-coming-for-businesses-ordered-closed-in-b-c
British Columbia businesses that were mandated to temporarily shut down through public health orders because of surging COVID-19 cases will be eligible to receive a new one-time relief grant of up to $10,000. (Photo - B.C. Govt.)

British Columbia businesses that were mandated to temporarily shut down through public health orders because of surging COVID-19 cases will be eligible to receive a new one-time relief grant of up to $10,000.

The COVID-19 Closure Relief Grant will supplement federal support programs and provide funding to help affected businesses alleviate some financial pressures and help with expenses including rent, employee wages, insurance, maintenance and utilities.

"We’re all exhausted by COVID-19, but unfortunately COVID-19 is not done with us," said Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation. "As we have done since the beginning of the pandemic, we are coming together to ensure those hardest hit businesses will receive much-needed support. The COVID-19 Closure Relief Grant will directly help businesses through these difficult times. I encourage everyone in B.C. to support impacted local businesses, including businesses that have been forced to close by buying gift cards and memberships for future use."

The grant was fast-tracked by the Province following new restrictions announced by the provincial health officer on Dec. 21, 2021, and will cost an estimated $10 million.

Businesses ordered fully closed include:

gyms, fitness and adult dance centres

bars, lounges and nightclubs

event venues that can no longer hold events

Relief grants of between $1,000 and $10,000 will be provided to eligible businesses based on their number of employees, following the similar formula to the previous Circuit Breaker Relief Grant that supported businesses in the spring of 2021. (see backgrounder).

Applications for the grant will begin in January 2022. More information on how to apply will be made available over the next few weeks, with the application process open until the end of February 2022. Business advisors will be able to support and direct applicants through a dedicated call centre that will be set up in early January by the Province and Small Business BC. Businesses will also be able to email questions to: covid@smallbusinessbc.ca

Latest news

surrey-police-seek-public-help-after-youth-assaulted-in-whalley-area
CanadaFeb 11, 2026

Surrey Police Seek Public Help After Youth Assaulted in Whalley Area

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a man accused of assaulting a teenage girl in the Whalley neighbourhood earlier this month. Police say the incident happened at about 4:35 pm on February 6, when the youth was walking eastbound along 100 Avenue near 123A Street. Investigators report that a man approached her from behind and briefly wrapped his arms around her upper body. The girl was able to free herself, and the suspect ran southbound on 123A Street. She was not physically injured. The suspect is described as an adult man, possibly White or Middle Ea
surrey-mayor-b-c-conservative-leader-express-condolences-after-tumbler-ridge-tragedy
BCFeb 11, 2026

Surrey mayor, B.C. Conservative leader express condolences after Tumbler Ridge tragedy

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has expressed condolences following a tragic incident in Tumbler Ridge that has shaken communities across British Columbia. In a public statement, Locke said residents of Surrey stand in solidarity with the victims and their families during what she described as an extremely difficult time. “My thoughts are with the families in Tumbler Ridge who are facing this unimaginable loss,” Locke said, adding that the incident has deeply affected people across the province. She noted that Surrey, as one of B.C.’s largest cities, shares in the grief being felt in the north
alberta-premier-expresses-condolences-after-deadly-shooting-at-tumbler-ridge-secondary-school
AlbertaFeb 11, 2026

Alberta premier expresses condolences after deadly shooting at Tumbler Ridge secondary school

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has expressed condolences following a deadly shooting at a secondary school in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, that left 10 people dead, including the alleged gunman. In a public statement, Smith said her thoughts are with the students, staff and families affected, adding that Alberta stands with the entire Tumbler Ridge community during what she described as an unimaginable tragedy. According to the BC RCMP, officers responded to reports of shots fired at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School at approximately 1:20 p.m. Police said six people were pronounced dead at th
federal-flags-lowered-for-seven-days-to-honour-victims-of-b-c-mass-shooting
BCFeb 11, 2026

Federal flags lowered for seven days to honour victims of B.C. mass shooting

Prime Minister Mark Carney has ordered flags on all federal buildings and institutions to be flown at half-mast for seven days following a deadly mass shooting in northeastern British Columbia that left 10 people dead, including the suspect. The attacks took place Tuesday in the small community of Tumbler Ridge. According to the RCMP, the suspect is believed to have first killed two people at a private residence before going to a local school, where several others were shot in what police have described as one of the most serious mass shootings in recent Canadian history. Investigators have sa
high-court-told-no-provision-for-virtual-participation-in-lok-sabha-amid-amritpal-singh-parole-plea
IndiaFeb 11, 2026

High Court told no provision for virtual participation in Lok Sabha amid Amritpal Singh parole plea

The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Tuesday heard a petition related to Khadoor Sahib MP Amritpal Singh seeking permission to participate in the ongoing Budget Session of Parliament. During the proceedings, the court was informed that the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Lok Sabha do not contain any provision allowing a Member of Parliament to attend or participate in House proceedings through virtual means. The submission was made as part of arguments concerning Singh’s request for relief that would enable him to take part in parliamentary proceedings. The court observed that

Related News