20.29°C Vancouver

News

BCJul 09, 2026

Three charged after Surrey investigation into alleged 3D-printed firearms and drug trafficking

Three people, including one woman, have been charged following a British Columbia anti-gang investigation into the alleged manufacture of illegal firearms using a 3D printer and drug trafficking in Surrey. According to the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia (CFSEU-BC), the charges follow an investigation stemming from the execution of a search warrant at a Surrey residence in September 2025. Media Relations Officer Sgt. Sarbjit Kaur Sangha said investigators found a 3D printer actively producing a firearm when officers entered the home. Police said officers seized a 3
quebec-introduces-testing-requirement-for-newer-ontario-truck-drivers-seeking-licence-transfers
CanadaJul 09, 2026

Quebec introduces testing requirement for newer Ontario truck drivers seeking licence transfers

The Quebec government has announced temporary measures requiring some Ontario truck drivers to pass a practical road test before transferring their commercial licences to Quebec, citing concerns about driver training and road safety. Under the changes announced Thursday, Ontario Class 1 truck drivers with less than two years of driving experience who want to exchange their licence for a Quebec equivalent will now be required to pass a practical driving examination. Drivers who fail the test twice will be required to complete additional training before becoming eligible, according to the Quebec
several-structures-destroyed-as-two-out-of-control-wildfires-burn-in-b-c-s-fraser-canyon
BCJul 09, 2026

Several Structures Destroyed as Two Out-of-Control Wildfires Burn in B.C.'s Fraser Canyon

Several structures have been destroyed by two out-of-control wildfires burning in British Columbia's Fraser Canyon region, according to the Fraser Valley Regional District. Officials say conditions near Boston Bar remain too dangerous for crews to complete a full assessment of the damage. According to authorities, the Ainslie Creek wildfire has grown to 16,987 hectares after igniting on July 4. The Brunswick Creek wildfire, first detected on July 2, has also expanded and is now estimated at approximately 2,600 hectares. Reports indicate Blue Lake Resort has sustained significant damage from th
iio-investigating-police-shooting-involving-armed-man-in-surrey
BCJul 09, 2026

IIO investigating police shooting involving armed man in Surrey

British Columbia's Independent Investigations Office (IIO) has launched an investigation after a police officer shot a man reportedly armed with a knife in Surrey on Wednesday evening. According to preliminary information, the incident occurred at about 8 p.m. near 148 Street and Ellendale Drive in the Bolivar neighbourhood of North Surrey. An officer with the BC RCMP Provincial Operational Support Unit allegedly discharged a firearm during an interaction with a man who was reportedly carrying a knife. The injured man was taken to hospital. His condition has not been released. The IIO confirme
vancouver-police-seek-tesla-driver-who-may-have-captured-distraction-theft-targeting-senior
BCJul 09, 2026

Vancouver police seek Tesla driver who may have captured distraction theft targeting senior

Vancouver police are asking the driver of a grey Tesla to come forward after investigators determined the vehicle may have recorded video linked to a distraction theft that targeted a 73-year-old woman last month. According to a Vancouver Police Department news release, the theft occurred on June 23 in the 500-block of Lillooet Street, where the woman's necklace was stolen. Investigators reviewed nearby CCTV footage and believe a grey Tesla travelling through the area between 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. may have captured additional video relevant to the investigation. Police also believe the driv
poilievre-blames-liberal-immigration-and-crime-policies-for-growth-of-bishnoi-gang-network-in-canada
CanadaJul 09, 2026

Poilievre blames Liberal immigration and crime policies for growth of Bishnoi gang network in Canada

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has accused the federal Liberal government of weakening Canada's immigration and criminal justice systems, alleging that those policies have allowed organized crime groups, including the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, to expand their presence in the country. Speaking about gang activity in Canada, Poilievre claimed that record levels of immigration combined with what he described as lenient criminal justice policies have enabled criminal organizations to strengthen their networks. His comments were made in response to ongoing concerns about transnational orga
AlbertaJul 09, 2026

Alberta RCMP issue Amber Alert for missing six-year-old boy near Grande Prairie

Alberta RCMP have issued an Amber Alert for a six-year-old boy who investigators say was taken Tuesday from the hamlet of Valhalla Centre, about 63 kilometres northwest of Grande Prairie. According to RCMP, Lanakai Morrison is believed to be travelling with his mother, 35-year-old Krista Morrison, and her 35-year-old partner, Daniel Ludwig. Police also believe another child, four-year-old Karl Morrison, may be with them. Investigators are searching for a black 2015 Toyota Tundra bearing Alberta licence plate CTN9517. RCMP have not released additional details about the circumstances that led to
anand-condemns-iranian-attacks-on-gulf-shipping-as-unacceptable-during-saudi-visit
CanadaJul 09, 2026

Anand condemns Iranian attacks on Gulf shipping as 'unacceptable' during Saudi visit

Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says Iran's recent attacks on commercial vessels in and around the Strait of Hormuz are "unacceptable" and "unjustified," as tensions continue to rise across the Persian Gulf. Speaking to reporters in Jeddah on Thursday after meeting with Saudi Arabia's foreign minister, Anand said Canada stands with Gulf countries facing escalating regional security threats. She said that while ceasefires are often fragile, attacks on civilian shipping cannot be justified. According to Anand, the latest violence follows renewed military exchanges between the United States
BCJul 08, 2026

RCMP marine unit rescues 11 people after canoe overturns in Burrard Inlet

Eleven people, including several youths, were rescued from the waters of Burrard Inlet after a large canoe overturned near Ambleside Beach on Saturday afternoon, according to the BC RCMP. Police said officers with the RCMP Tactical Marine Operations Group (TMOG), who were conducting patrols in Burrard Inlet, received a distress call over Marine VHF Channel at about 3:30 p.m. on July 5 reporting an overturned canoe off Ambleside Beach. Four TMOG vessels were dispatched to the scene. According to the RCMP, officers arriving at the location found all 11 occupants clinging to the overturned canoe.

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees