21.46°C Vancouver

News

CanadaJul 16, 2026

Meta introduces new Instagram AI safety features for minors as Canada advances online safety legislation

Meta has announced new safety features for minors using its Instagram AI chatbot, introducing parental alerts for conversations involving self-harm or suicide. The update comes as the Canadian government moves forward with proposed online safety legislation aimed at strengthening protections for young users. According to Meta, the new features became available Thursday in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia. If a minor discusses self-harm or suicide while interacting with Instagram AI, parents who have enabled the platform's Parental Supervision tools will receive an im
two-arrested-in-calgary-drug-trafficking-investigation-stolen-handgun-drugs-and-cash-seized
AlbertaJul 16, 2026

Two arrested in Calgary drug trafficking investigation; stolen handgun, drugs and cash seized

Calgary Police Service says two people have been arrested following a drug trafficking investigation that led to the seizure of a stolen handgun, ammunition, illegal drugs and cash. According to a Calgary Police Service news release, the investigation began in June after officers received information about an armed drug trafficking suspect. Investigators later executed a search warrant at a residence in the 500 block of McKinnon Drive N.E. in the Mayland Heights neighbourhood. Police say officers recovered a loaded 9 mm handgun that had been reported stolen from Strathmore, along with $7,819.6
BCJul 16, 2026

At least seven structures destroyed as Fraser Canyon wildfire intensifies

At least seven structures have been destroyed as a fast-moving wildfire burns through British Columbia's Fraser Canyon region, according to local officials. The Fraser Valley Regional District said the damage was caused by the Brunswick Wildfire Complex, which includes the Brunswick Creek and Ainslie Creek wildfires. Most of the destruction occurred near the Blue Lake Resort outside Boston Bar. Regional district spokesperson Samantha Piper said the destroyed structures include four residential buildings and seasonal cabins used to accommodate visitors, along with three commercial support struc
nine-parked-vehicles-damaged-in-surreys-newton-neighbourhood-police-seek-suspects
BCJul 16, 2026

Nine parked vehicles damaged in Surrey's Newton neighbourhood, police seek suspects

Surrey Police Service is investigating a series of vehicle vandalism incidents after nine parked vehicles were found with smashed windows in the city's Newton neighbourhood early Wednesday morning. According to police, officers responded at about 5 a.m. to reports of vehicle windows being smashed near 75 Avenue and 147A Street. By the time officers arrived, the suspects had fled the area. Investigators found that the front, rear and side windows of nine separate parked vehicles had been damaged. Police have reviewed CCTV footage from the area, which shows two suspects believed to be involved i
federal-government-to-acquire-190-armoured-vehicles-in-2b-deal-to-strengthen-canadian-army
CanadaJul 16, 2026

Federal government to acquire 190 armoured vehicles in $2B deal to strengthen Canadian Army

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a $2 billion investment to purchase 190 new armoured vehicles for the Canadian Army as part of a four-year procurement plan aimed at strengthening the military's operational capabilities and supporting Canada's domestic defence industry. Carney confirmed the agreement during a visit Thursday to the General Dynamics Land Systems–Canada facility in London, Ont. According to the federal government, the new vehicles will increase the Army's armoured fleet to 550. The Prime Minister said all 190 vehicles will be manufactured at the company's Ontario facili
bc-conservative-mla-harman-bhangu-criticizes-forestry-minister-over-mill-closures-job-losses
BCJul 16, 2026

BC Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu criticizes forestry minister over mill closures, job losses

Political debate over British Columbia's struggling forestry sector intensified Thursday after BC Conservative MLA Harman Bhangu criticized Forests Minister Ravi Parmar, alleging the provincial government has failed to respond effectively to ongoing mill closures and forestry job losses. In a statement, Bhangu pointed to Canfor's Northwood pulp mill closure in Prince George, saying each mill shutdown results in the loss of hundreds of jobs and has broader economic consequences for local businesses and resource-dependent communities. He said residents in forestry communities across the province
sit-summons-sukhbir-singh-badal-for-questioning-in-behbal-kalan-and-kotkapura-firing-probe
IndiaJul 16, 2026

SIT summons Sukhbir Singh Badal for questioning in Behbal Kalan and Kotkapura firing probe

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the 2015 Behbal Kalan and Kotkapura police firing cases has issued a notice to Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal, directing him to appear for questioning on Monday. According to the SIT, the fresh summons follows the statement of BJP leader Vijay Sampla, who told investigators he did not sign a memorandum submitted to the Punjab Governor with Sukhbir Singh Badal in connection with the sacrilege incidents. Investigators are seeking clarification on the circumstances surrounding the document and the facts related to its submission. Las
one-person-killed-five-injured-in-four-vehicle-crash-in-delta
BCJul 16, 2026

One person killed, five injured in four-vehicle crash in Delta

A man has died and five other people were injured following a four-vehicle collision in Delta on Wednesday afternoon, according to Delta Police. Staff Sgt. Mike Whiteley said the crash occurred at about 3 p.m. in the 9800 block of Ladner Trunk Road. Multiple people were travelling in the four vehicles involved. First responders attempted life-saving measures on an adult man at the scene, but he was pronounced dead. Police have not released his identity or any additional details. The cause of the collision remains under investigation by the Delta Police Collision Investigation Team. Police have
AlbertaJul 16, 2026

Apartment fire in northeast Edmonton claims second life as police confirm death of missing senior

Edmonton Police Service has confirmed that 82-year-old Surinderjit Kaur Bhandal, who had been reported missing following a fatal apartment fire in northeast Edmonton, has died. According to police, her body was recovered inside the building during a search conducted the day after the fire. Surinderjit Kaur Bhandal was the wife of 85-year-old Major Singh Bhandal, who died after jumping from a third-floor balcony while attempting to escape the fire. Family members said the couple had lived in Canada for more than 30 years and were active members of the local Sikh community. According to investig

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees