21.25°C Vancouver

News

CanadaJul 27, 2026

Etobicoke Uber driver charged after alleged sexual assaults in Burlington

Halton Regional Police have arrested a 25-year-old Etobicoke man in connection with two alleged sexual assaults involving the same woman in Burlington. Police identified the accused as Mandeep Singh and said he was working as an Uber driver at the time of the incident. According to Halton Regional Police, the incident occurred at about 5:15 p.m. on June 16 near the south parking lot of the Burlington GO Station. Investigators allege Singh approached the woman and began speaking with her before sexually assaulting her. Police further allege that after the woman left the area, the accused follow
IndiaJul 27, 2026

Punjab sanitation workers end strike after agreement with government

Sanitation workers in Punjab have announced an end to their strike after reaching an agreement with the Punjab government over their long-pending demands. The decision follows a series of measures announced by the state government, including a substantial increase in monthly wages for sanitation employees. According to the Punjab government, sanitation workers who were previously receiving a monthly salary of ₹10,500 will now receive ₹20,500. The revised wages will be paid from Aug. 1 to sanitation workers and sewermen employed on a contractual basis. The government also announced the form
gunfire-damages-u-s-consulate-building-in-toronto
CanadaJul 27, 2026

Gunfire damages U.S. Consulate building in Toronto

The U.S. Consulate at the intersection of University Avenue and Armoury Street in downtown Toronto was struck by gunfire early Monday morning, according to Toronto Police. No injuries were reported. Deputy Chief Frank Barredo said the shooting occurred at approximately 4:45 a.m. while police officers were already present in the area. Investigators confirmed that at least one bullet struck the front of the consulate building. Police said the suspect fled the scene in a white Honda Accord sedan without licence plates. Officers briefly pursued the vehicle but discontinued the chase out of concern
BCJul 27, 2026

Man dies after police-involved shooting in Abbotsford

A man has died following a police-involved shooting in Abbotsford early Monday morning, according to the Abbotsford Police Department. Sgt. Paul Walker said the incident occurred at the Petro-Pass truck stop in the Matsqui Place area near the Trans-Canada Highway. Police said the suspect fled the scene in a vehicle after officers discharged their firearms. The vehicle was later located several kilometres away near 272 Street and 30 Avenue in the Aldergrove area, where the man was found dead inside. According to Abbotsford Police, the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia (IIO)
pear-lake-and-fifteenmile-creek-wildfires-merge-as-evacuation-orders-expand-near-clinton-b-c
BCJul 27, 2026

Pear Lake and Fifteenmile Creek wildfires merge as evacuation orders expand near Clinton, B.C.

Two major wildfires burning near Clinton, B.C. have merged, increasing the combined fire area to approximately 670 square kilometres, according to the BC Wildfire Service. Officials say the merged Pear Lake and Fifteenmile Creek wildfires have damaged homes and other structures on the outskirts of the Clinton community. The full extent of the damage has not yet been confirmed. BC Wildfire Service Fire Information Officer Shae Stearns said firefighters continue working to protect homes in Clinton as crews respond to the fast-moving wildfire. Residents of Clinton were placed under an evacuation
alberta-premier-promises-changes-to-amber-alert-system-after-parker-wells-case
AlbertaJul 27, 2026

Alberta premier promises changes to Amber Alert system after Parker Wells case

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says the province will make changes to its Amber Alert system following the disappearance of 11-year-old Parker Wells, whose case has raised questions about how quickly alerts are issued. Parker Wells, who has autism, went missing on July 16. According to provincial officials, his case did not initially meet the existing criteria for an Amber Alert. Smith said an alert was issued as soon as the Calgary Police Service requested one. Smith said the provincial government plans to introduce legislative changes during the fall session that would give local police grea
WorldJul 27, 2026

Pakistan Flood Death Toll Reaches 107 as Authorities Warn of More Heavy Rain

At least 107 people have died and 344 others have been injured in Pakistan after weeks of heavy rainfall and flooding that began in late June, according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). The agency also reported that hundreds of homes have been damaged, with more heavy rain forecast in the coming days. According to the NDMA, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has recorded the highest number of fatalities, with 55 deaths, followed by Punjab province, where 36 people have died. The authority said more than half of the fatalities were caused by collapsing homes and roofs during the severe wea
abbotsford-police-release-sketch-of-suspect-in-attempted-child-abduction-investigation
BCJul 27, 2026

Abbotsford police release sketch of suspect in attempted child abduction investigation

Abbotsford Police have released a composite sketch of a suspect as part of an ongoing investigation into an attempted child abduction involving two young girls earlier this month. According to an Abbotsford Police news release, the incident occurred at about 5:30 p.m. on July 22 outside an apartment complex at 33538 Marshall Road. Police said two girls under the age of 10 were playing outside when an unidentified man allegedly attempted to persuade them to get into his vehicle. The suspect fled after one of the children called out to her parents. Police confirmed that neither child was physica
carney-calls-federal-byelections-in-b-c-ontario-and-quebec-for-aug-31
CanadaJul 27, 2026

Carney calls federal byelections in B.C., Ontario and Quebec for Aug. 31

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced federal byelections in three vacant ridings in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec. Voting will take place on Aug. 31, with advance polls scheduled from Aug. 21 to Aug. 24. According to the Office of the Prime Minister and Elections Canada, the vacant seats include North Vancouver–Capilano in British Columbia, Beaches–East York in Toronto, and Chicoutimi–Le Fjord in Quebec. The North Vancouver–Capilano seat became vacant after former Liberal MP Jonathan Wilkinson was appointed Canada's ambassador to the European Union. Beaches–East York was v

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees