21.33°C Vancouver

News

698-new-covid-19-cases-and-one-death-reported-in-b-c
BCAug 26, 2021

698 new COVID-19 cases and one death reported in B.C.

B.C. is reporting 698 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 161,969 cases in the province.There are 5,356 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 154,669 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 139 individuals are in hospital and 75 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, one new death (Fraser Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 1,802. There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Brock Fahrni (Vancouver Coastal Health) and Spring Valley Ca
one-presumed-dead-one-injured-in-collapse-at-b-c-construction-site-rcmp
BCAug 25, 2021

One presumed dead, one injured in collapse at B.C. construction site: RCMP

The RCMP say one person is believed to be dead and another is in hospital after part of a building collapsed in North Vancouver on Wednesday. Sgt. Peter DeVries says fire and rescue personnel determined that one person sustained "catastrophic" injuries, but it was still too dangerous to remove debris within the construction site in order to recover the body. The coroners service has yet to officially confirm the death, he says, while BC Emergency Health Services says the second person is in stable condition. DeVries says police don't believe anyone else was trapped. He says it looked like a "d
police-watchdog-clears-vancouver-officers-in-fatal-shooting-in-downtown-eastside
BCAug 25, 2021

Police watchdog clears Vancouver officers in fatal shooting in Downtown Eastside

BC's police watchdog has cleared Vancouver officers involve in a fatal shooting in the city's Downtown Eastside earlier this year. A report from the Independent Investigations Office says the officers' use of force in the January 5th shooting was, quote, ``justified, necessary and proportionate'' because ``they had no choice.'' It says the officers feared the man, who was not named by the oversight agency, would either stab them or bystanders with a sword he was carrying. The watchdog's report says the officers were not carrying a stun gun and fired a total of five shots from their firearms f
vpd-investigates-attack-on-homeless-man
BCAug 25, 2021

VPD investigates attack on homeless man

Vancouver Police released video today showing a violent and unprovoked attack on a homeless man, and ask anyone who can identify the suspect to call police. "We’d like everyone to take a good look at these images," says Sergeant Steve Addison, VPD. "We’re confident someone knows these people and can help us solve this crime."The bystander video was taken around 1 a.m. on July 26, on Hamilton Street in Yaletown. It shows a man in his 20s arguing for several minutes with a group of people, who he appears to know. When a homeless man walked by the group, the suspect swatted him in the head, c
maryam-monsef-says-brothers-comment-about-taliban-was-a-cultural-reference
CanadaAug 25, 2021

Maryam Monsef says "brothers" comment about Taliban was a cultural reference

Canada's women's issues minister faced questions today after she referred to the Taliban as "our brothers" during a news conference on the escalating crisis in Afghanistan. But Maryam Monsef dismissed the criticism, noting that Canada continues to see the Taliban as a terrorist organization. Monsef issued a direct appeal to the Taliban today, calling on them to allow safe passage to Kabul airport for anyone wanting to leave Afghanistan. The Taliban has refused to allow Afghan nationals from passing their checkpoints around the airport. Under questioning from reporters, Monsef later said the "b
justin-trudeau-reaches-surrey-during-election-campaign-otoole-and-jagmeet-singh-campaigning-in-ontario
CanadaAug 25, 2021

Justin Trudeau reaches Surrey during election campaign; O'Toole and Jagmeet Singh campaigning in Ontario

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole made a campaign stop in Brantford, Ontario this morning to promise that a Tory government would work with the provinces to invest in mental health initiatives. He says the mental health crisis is the epidemic within the COVID-19 pandemic. Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is promising to raise the corporate income tax rate for big banks and insurance companies to fund programs that would help people bounce back from the hard times of the pandemic. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is promising to take on the big telecom companies if elected and get them to lower cellphone
11-351-properties-on-evacuation-alert-in-b-c
BCAug 25, 2021

11,351 properties on evacuation alert in B.C.

The wildfire situation is continually evolving, and the information below is current as of 7 p.m. (Pacific time) on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021.Fires:Wildfires currently burning in B.C.: 249Since April 1, 2021:1,551 wildfires861,283 hectares of area burnedActive fires by fire centre:Cariboo: 26Coastal: 18Kamloops: 86Northwest: 5Prince George: 52Southeast: 62Resources:Firefighters and other personnel currently fighting the fires: 3,374Out-of-province firefighters: 464Helicopters and planes supporting ground crews: 161Evacuations:Evacuation orders: 48 (-6)Evacuation alerts: 96 (-15)Properties:Number
BCAug 25, 2021

Evacuation orders and alerts drop in B.C. as number of wildfires holds steady

Emergency Management BC says about 3,700 properties are on evacuation order, down from nearly 8,200 a week ago.A news release says nearly 11,300 properties are on evacuation alert — which means people must be ready to leave on short notice — also down from more than 23,000 last week.The Regional District of Central Okanagan says the evacuation order for more than 1,300 properties and alert for about 850 of them remains unchanged as the White Rock Lake Creek wildfire continues to burn.The White Rock Lake Creek wildfire is still classified as out-of-control and is estimated to be 810 square
canadian-military-aircraft-with-more-than-500-evacuees-aboard-flew-out-of-kabul
WorldAug 25, 2021

Canadian military aircraft with more than 500 evacuees aboard flew out of Kabul

A Canadian military aircraft with more than 500 evacuees aboard flew out of Kabul on Wednesday.It was one of a stream of military planes that took off as evacuees lined up on the tarmac.Others desperate to get on a flight remain outside, some standing knee-deep in sewage and waving identity documents at Western soldiers in hopes of being allowed to go beyond the barbed wire fencing.Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says Canada is keeping boots on the ground and planes in the air for as long as possible.But he says there are significant challenges since the Taliban controls checkpoints leadi

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to