15.7°C Vancouver

News

lieutenant-vinay-narwal-dies-in-pahalgam-terror-attack
IndiaApr 23, 2025

Lieutenant Vinay Narwal dies in Pahalgam terror attack

Among those killed in yesterday's terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir's Pahalgam, 26-year-old Indian Navy Lieutenant Vinay Narwal, a resident of Haryana, also died. He had been married just 7 days ago. He had gone to Kashmir for a holiday with his wife. Narwal originally hailed from Karnal city of Haryana. He had joined the Navy three years ago. Vinay Narwal was the only son in his family. He has a younger sister, who is preparing for UPSC. After the Pahalgam attack, a picture is being shared on social media, in which a woman is sitting silently next to a dead body on the ground. This photo is
pm-modi-returns-to-india-after-terrorist-attack-in-pahalgam
IndiaApr 23, 2025

PM Modi returns to India after terrorist attack in Pahalgam

PM Modi returned to New Delhi this morning after canceling his Saudi Arabia trip late at night after the terrorist attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir. According to the news, as a stern signal to Pakistan, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's plane did not use Pakistan's airspace while returning from Saudi Arabia to New Delhi and instead landed in India from Gujarat over the Arabian Sea, while PM Modi's plane passed through Pakistan's airspace while going to Saudi Arabia. It is noteworthy that 27 people were killed and more than 20 people were injured in a terrorist attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and
government-will-bring-back-punjabis-stranded-in-jammu-and-kashmir-safely-bhagwant-mann
IndiaApr 23, 2025

Government will bring back Punjabis stranded in Jammu and Kashmir safely: Bhagwant Mann

All political parties of the state, including the Chief Minister of Punjab, have strongly condemned the terrorist attack on tourists in Jammu and Kashmir. CM Mann Bhagwant Mann said that Punjab is also a big tourism place. Tourists from home and abroad come here too and for their safety, orders have been given to increase the deployment of police personnel at all the tourist places of the state. He also said that Punjabis stranded in Jammu and Kashmir will be brought back safely. At the same time, Shiromani Akali Dal President Sukhbir Badal termed the attack targeting tourists in Pahalgam as
pm-modi-collaborating-with-u-s-to-harm-indian-farmers-claims-sarwan-singh-pandher
IndiaApr 22, 2025

PM Modi Collaborating with U.S. to Harm Indian Farmers, Claims Sarwan Singh Pandher

Farmers in Punjab have expressed strong opposition to the visit of U.S. Vice President JD Vance to India. Farmer leader Sarwan Singh Pandher accused the Indian government of secretly planning an agreement with the U.S. that could lead to significant losses for the people of India, particularly farmers. In response, various units of the All India Kisan Sabha organized protests in villages across Ludhiana and Malerkotla districts, raising slogans such as 'JD Vance Go Back' and 'India is Not for Sale.' Effigies of Vance were also burned during the protests. The farmers argued that the ongoing tr
more-than-20-tourists-killed-in-terrorist-attack-in-pahalgam-jammu-and-kashmir
IndiaApr 22, 2025

More Than 20 Tourists Killed in Terrorist Attack in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir

A major terrorist attack targeting tourists occurred in Pahalgam, Jammu and Kashmir, on Tuesday afternoon. More than 20 people were killed, and dozens of others were injured, with many in serious condition. Reports suggest that the terrorists asked the tourists for their names before opening fire. Lashkar-e-Taiba has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack. In response to the incident, Indian Home Minister Amit Shah has departed for Srinagar to assess the situation and will hold a high-level meeting with officials to discuss the aftermath.
us-vice-president-jd-vance-visits-india-highlights-strengthening-ties
IndiaApr 22, 2025

US Vice President JD Vance Visits India, Highlights Strengthening Ties

US Vice President JD Vance is currently on an official visit to India, marking his first trip to the country since taking office. He arrived in New Delhi on Monday, accompanied by his wife Usha and their three children. Upon arrival, Vance was accorded a ceremonial guard of honor at the airport. Following the welcome, Vance and his family visited the Akshardham Temple in Delhi, where they spent about an hour exploring the site. On the first day of his visit, Vice President Vance also held a meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. On Tuesday, Vance traveled to Jaipur, Rajasthan, wher
amritpal-singhs-detention-extended-for-another-year
IndiaApr 18, 2025

Amritpal Singh’s Detention Extended for Another Year

The Punjab government has extended the detention of Amritpal Singh, Member of Parliament (MP) from Khadoor Sahib and leader of the ‘Waris Punjab De’ organization, under the National Security Act (NSA) at Assam’s Dibrugarh jail for an additional year. This decision follows the state government’s recent move to transfer nine of Amritpal’s associates to Punjab jails without extending their NSA detention. Amritpal Singh has been in custody since April 2023. Despite being in jail, Amritpal secured a resounding victory in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, representing the Khadoor Sahib consti
nia-takes-over-investigation-into-grenade-attack-on-manoranjan-kalias-residence
IndiaApr 17, 2025

NIA Takes Over Investigation into Grenade Attack on Manoranjan Kalia's Residence

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has taken over the probe into the grenade attack on the residence of former Punjab cabinet minister and BJP leader Manoranjan Kalia. The case was previously being investigated by the Punjab Police. According to reports, an NIA team visited Jalandhar on Wednesday, where they collected several pieces of evidence and examined the scene of the incident. They also visited Jalandhar Police Station No. 3, where the accused are currently in custody. Sources indicate that the NIA has registered a separate FIR and is now leading the investigation.
shiromani-akali-dal-announces-candidate-for-ludhiana-west-by-election
IndiaApr 17, 2025

Shiromani Akali Dal Announces Candidate for Ludhiana West By-Election

The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has announced Advocate Parupkar Singh Ghuman as its candidate for the upcoming by-election in the Ludhiana West constituency, Punjab. Ghuman, a former president of the Ludhiana Bar Association, has been a longstanding member of the Shiromani Akali Dal. Ghuman will contest against Bharat Bhushan Ashu of the Congress and Sanjeev Arora of the Aam Aadmi Party. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has yet to declare its candidate. The by-election has been necessitated by the demise of Aam Aadmi Party MLA Gurpreet Gogi. The Election Commission is expected to announce the d

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to