18.43°C Vancouver

News

two-residences-shot-over-night-in-surrey
BCAug 09, 2022

Two residences shot over night in Surrey

Surrey RCMP is seeking information following two shootings overnight and requesting anyone with CCTV or dash camera video from the areas to contact police. On August 9, 2022 just after midnight, Surrey RCMP received a report of shots heard and a vehicle speeding away in the 14800-block of 76A Avenue. Officers attended the area, conducted patrols and located a residence with bullet holes. Approximately 20 minutes after the initial report of shots fired, police received a second report of a shooting in the 9200-block of 163 Street. Similar to the first incident, responding officers located a re
n-l-wildfire-wort-in-6-decades-harbour-breton-facing-shortage-of-food-and-supplies-after-being-cut-off-from-other-communities
CanadaAug 08, 2022

N.L. wildfire wort in 6 decades, Harbour Breton facing shortage of food and supplies after being cut off from other communities

The deputy mayor of Harbour Breton, Newfoundland, figures the town's three grocery stores will be out of food in the next day or two. The community of about 1,600 remains cut off due to the worst forest fires the province has seen since 1961. The province is getting a ferry to start bringing supplies to stranded communities and to help people leave. It's expected to arrive tomorrow, but will be docking in a town about 50-kilometres away from Harbour Breton that also is running low on supplies. Roy Drake says his community of about 16-hundred remains cut off due to ongoing forest fires. The pr
ravi-kahlons-statement-on-julys-labour-force-survey-results
BCAug 06, 2022

Ravi Kahlon's statement on July’s Labour Force Survey results

BC Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon says BC added just under 15-thousand full-time jobs in July as the provincial unemployment rate was set at 4.7 per cent, up one-tenth of a point from June. A statement from the ministry says more people joined the workforce in BC last month than in any other major province, while more new residents moved to BC in the first quarter of 2022 than at any time in over 60 years. Kahlon says the numbers mean BC continues to lead Canada's economic recovery. Statistics Canada says the jobless rate in Kelowna was four per cent in July, unchanged from June, while Vancouver's
canadian-troops-heading-to-united-kingdom-to-train-ukrainian-forces-to-fight-russia
CanadaAug 04, 2022

Canadian troops heading to United Kingdom to train Ukrainian forces to fight Russia

Defence Minister Anita Anand says Ottawa and an Ontario company have agreed to deliver armoured vehicles to Ukrainian forces to help their fight against Russian troops. Anand also says Canada is sending up to 225 Canadian Armed Forces members to Britain for an initial period of four months to teach Ukrainian soldiers the basics of soldiering. Her announcement today comes nearly six months after Canada suspended its previous training mission in Ukraine just weeks before Russia invaded its neighbour back in February. Since the invasion, Ukraine says roughly 10-thousand of its soldiers have been
BCAug 04, 2022

Four post-secondary institutions team up for new campus in Langford, B.C.

A unique collaboration between four post-secondary institutions in British Columbia will establish a new campus on the Vancouver Island city of Langford. The partnership between the University of Victoria, Royal Roads University, Camosun College and the Justice Institute of B.C. will educate up to 1,300 students when it's completed by 2035. The project includes an almost $78-million investment from the provincial government, while Royal Roads is contributing $19 million for the land purchase and capital costs and Langford about $27 million in infrastructure. Premier John Horgan, whose riding
pierre-poilievre-and-leslyn-lewis-skip-conservative-leadership-debate-jean-charest-criticises-the-decision
CanadaAug 04, 2022

Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis skip Conservative leadership debate; Jean Charest criticises the decision

The Conservative leadership candidates who decided to show up for the last official debate of the race began by reflecting on what they've heard from Canadians throughout the contest. Former Quebec premier Jean Charest started his opening statement by commending candidates Scott Aitchison and Roman Baber for appearing at the event. Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis decided to skip, a decision Charest compared to a fish not wanting to swim in the ocean. Charest says Conservatives feel tired of losing federal elections and pitched himself as the only candidate who could change that record.
police-arrest-driver-in-early-morning-parliament-hill-crash
CanadaAug 03, 2022

Police arrest driver in early morning Parliament Hill crash

A driver has been arrested after what Ottawa police describe as an unauthorized vehicle driving into the front gates of Parliament Hill early this morning. Police say a vehicle rammed into the gates outside the legislature at about 3:30 a-m local time and security stopped it from entering the grounds. No criminal charges have yet been laid. The incident appears to be unrelated to another crash later this morning that saw an amphibious tour bus busting into the gates outside the unoccupied official residence of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
investigation-into-possible-impaired-driver-in-kelowna-turns-into-significant-seizure-of-drugs-and-weapons
BCAug 02, 2022

Investigation into possible impaired driver in Kelowna turns into significant seizure of drugs and weapons

Kelowna RCMP say an investigation is underway after a call for a possible impaired driver in Kelowna turned into a significant seizure of drugs and weapons. Police say it happened Sunday, not far from the downtown core as two men in a Mercedes-Benz tried unsuccessfully to drive out of a parkade as police arrived. The RCMP statement says both men had mandatory firearms prohibitions and one tried to avoid police by hiding in the trunk of the car and, when discovered, was within arms reach of multiple loaded firearms. In addition to possibly stolen property and drugs including crack cocaine, pol
man-charged-following-damage-to-business-and-assault-of-staff-member-in-new-westminster
BCAug 02, 2022

Man charged following damage to business and assault of staff member in New Westminster

On July 26th at approximately 7:00pm, the New Westminster Police Department received a call from a witness advising there was an assault in progress inside a New Westminster business. According to witnesses, the man threatened staff inside and there were sounds of breaking glass. Officers attended the area and located an individual matching the suspect description standing in the 600 block of Columbia Street. The suspect was arrested and transported to the New Westminster Police Department cells."This behavior is not tolerated in our community," stated Sergeant Justine Thom. "I want to remind

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to