20.23°C Vancouver

News

brampton-man-charged-after-alleged-firearm-threat-near-transit-stop
BCDec 29, 2025

Brampton man charged after alleged firearm threat near transit stop

Peel Regional Police say a 20-year-old Brampton man has been charged following an early-morning incident near a Brampton transit stop that left a victim fearing for their safety. Police allege the incident occurred shortly after 1 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 27, near Chinguacousy Road and Drinkwater Road. Investigators say the victim had just exited a transit bus when they were followed by an unknown individual, who then approached and claimed to be in possession of a firearm. The victim contacted police, who located a suspect nearby a short time later. Officers allege the suspect produced an imita
surrey-guildford-conservative-candidate-withdraws-court-challenge-over-narrow-election-loss
BCDec 24, 2025

Surrey–Guildford Conservative candidate withdraws court challenge over narrow election loss

The B.C. Conservative candidate who narrowly lost the Surrey–Guildford riding in last year’s provincial election has withdrawn his legal challenge of the results, ending a court case that centred on alleged voting irregularities. Honveer Singh Randhawa, who was defeated by 22 votes, said Tuesday he has decided to drop his petition before the B.C. Supreme Court. In a written statement, Randhawa said his legal action had already led to what he described as a material outcome after the province’s chief electoral officer acknowledged that some violations had occurred. In his original filing,
canadas-economy-contracts-in-october-as-manufacturing-and-public-sector-activity-slow
CanadaDec 23, 2025

Canada’s economy contracts in October as manufacturing and public sector activity slow

Canada’s real gross domestic product declined by 0.3 per cent in October, according to new data from Statistics Canada, as weakness in manufacturing and parts of the public sector weighed on overall economic activity. The federal agency said goods-producing industries fell by 0.7 per cent during the month, with manufacturing responsible for nearly the entire drop. The slowdown follows earlier signs of easing demand and supply chain adjustments across several manufacturing subsectors. Public sector activity also declined, partly reflecting the impact of Alberta’s provincewide teachers’ st
carney-appoints-mark-wiseman-as-canadas-next-ambassador-to-the-united-states
CanadaDec 22, 2025

Carney appoints Mark Wiseman as Canada’s next ambassador to the United States

Prime Minister Mark Carney has named investment banker and pension fund executive Mark Wiseman as Canada’s next ambassador to the United States, placing him at the centre of upcoming negotiations with Washington on continental trade. Wiseman is set to begin the role on Feb. 15, according to the Prime Minister’s Office. Wiseman will lead Canada’s engagement with the U.S. as the countries prepare for a scheduled review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement, a process expected to dominate the bilateral agenda next year. The trade review is widely seen as critical for Canadian exporte
carney-reshuffles-senior-public-service-as-ottawa-heads-into-new-year
CanadaDec 19, 2025

Carney reshuffles senior public service as Ottawa heads into new year

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a series of senior public service appointments, reorganizing key deputy minister roles as the federal government prepares for a busy policy agenda in the new year. Among the most prominent changes, Quebec Court of Appeal Justice Marie-Josée Hogue has been named deputy minister of justice and deputy attorney general of Canada. Hogue previously led the federal public inquiry into foreign interference in Canadian elections, which concluded earlier this year that there was limited evidence of successful interference affecting election outcomes. At the Depa
pablo-rodriguez-steps-down-as-quebec-liberal-leader-amid-party-turmoil
CanadaDec 18, 2025

Pablo Rodriguez steps down as Quebec Liberal leader amid party turmoil

Pablo Rodriguez has resigned as leader of the Quebec Liberal Party just six months after taking on the role, saying his continued presence had become a distraction as the party prepares for the next provincial election. Speaking to reporters in Montreal, Rodriguez said he made the decision out of a sense of responsibility to the party, adding that unity will be critical if the Liberals hope to rebuild support and challenge the governing Coalition Avenir Québec next year. He said he is leaving with his head held high, despite the difficult circumstances surrounding his departure. Rodriguez, a
quebec-liberal-leader-pablo-rodriguez-steps-down-as-party-faces-investigation
CanadaDec 17, 2025

Quebec Liberal leader Pablo Rodriguez steps down as party faces investigation

Quebec Liberal Party Leader Pablo Rodriguez is resigning amid growing turmoil linked to the party’s recent leadership contest, according to sources familiar with the decision. Two senior party sources confirmed to The Canadian Press that Rodriguez will step aside, though he has not yet made a public statement. His departure comes as the Quebec Liberals confront a criminal investigation by the province’s anti-corruption police, the Unité permanente anticorruption, following allegations connected to the June leadership race. Rodriguez’s campaign has been placed under scrutiny amid claims
cra-plans-major-hiring-push-to-boost-call-centre-capacity-ahead-of-tax-season
CanadaDec 11, 2025

CRA plans major hiring push to boost call centre capacity ahead of tax season

The Canada Revenue Agency says it plans to bring on roughly 1,700 additional call centre staff in the coming months as it prepares for a surge in taxpayer inquiries during the upcoming filing season. Agency officials say the goal is to expand the workforce to about 4,500 agents, citing internal forecasts that anticipate heavy call volumes. Melanie Serjak, an assistant commissioner with the CRA, told reporters that it is routine for the agency to scale up its operations for tax season, when daily call volumes can exceed 300,000. She said last year’s peak staffing level reached about 3,300 age
bank-of-canada-holds-key-interest-rate-as-officials-monitor-economic-uncertainty
CanadaDec 10, 2025

Bank of Canada holds key interest rate as officials monitor economic uncertainty

The Bank of Canada has left its benchmark interest rate unchanged at 2.25 per cent in its final policy decision of the year, signalling that borrowing costs remain at a level the central bank views as appropriate for maintaining price stability. Governor Tiff Macklem said major global economies continue to show signs of resilience, even as uncertainty persists and the United States maintains a protectionist approach to trade. He noted that the current policy rate is helping keep inflation near the bank’s two per cent target, suggesting no immediate need to raise or cut interest rates. Mackle

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to