19.29°C Vancouver

News

bc-premier-john-horgan-announces-new-ndp-cabinet
BCNov 27, 2020

BC Premier John Horgan announces new NDP cabinet

The new Cabinet of B.C.:Anne Kang is Minister of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.Lana Popham is Minister of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.Lisa Beare is Minister of Citizen Services.Mitzi Dean is Minister of Children and Family Development.Katrina Chen is Minister of State for Childcare.Jennifer Whiteside is Minister of Education.Bruce Ralston is Minister of Energy and Mines.George Heyman is Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for TransLink.Selina Robinson is Minister of Finance.Katrine Conroy is Minister of Forests, Lands and Rural Development.Nathan C
vancouver-council-unanimously-endorses-drug-decriminalization-seeks-federal-approval
BCNov 26, 2020

Vancouver council unanimously endorses drug decriminalization, seeks Federal approval

Councillors in Vancouver have voted unanimously to ask the federal government to decriminalize possession of small amounts of illicit drugs. Mayor Kennedy Stewart put forward the motion earlier this month saying it is time to develop a ``health-focused'' approach to substance use and end the stigma against drug users. In a statement issued late Wednesday after the vote, Stewart thanked groups such as the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users, which he says have pursued decriminalization for years. In the same process used to create its first supervised injection clinic almost two decades ago,
b-c-working-on-vaccine-rollout-plan-as-province-records-738-new-covid-19-cases
BCNov 26, 2020

B.C. working on vaccine rollout plan as province records 738 new COVID-19 cases

Provincial health officials say they are working on British Columbia's plan to handle COVID-19 vaccines. Dr. Bonnie Henry, the provincial health officer, says Dr. Ross Brown of Vancouver Coastal Health will join the group working to organize the logistics around the distribution of vaccines. B.C. recorded another 13 deaths and 738 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the total to 29,086. The province also issued a correction for nine days of case totals in the Fraser Health region, revising Tuesday's COVID-19 case count to 706 instead of 941. Dr. Henry says front-line workers as well
argentine-soccer-great-diego-maradona-dies-at-60
WorldNov 25, 2020

Argentine soccer great Diego Maradona dies at 60

Argentine soccer ``Golden Boy'' Diego Maradona has died at the age of 60. A person close to Maradona said he died Wednesday of a heart attack. Maradona died two weeks after being released from a Buenos Aires hospital following brain surgery. Maradona was among the best players in history and led his country to the 1986 World Cup title before later struggling with cocaine use and other health problems. He captivated fans over a two-decade career and famously made the ``Hand of God'' goal in which he punched the ball into England's net during the 1986 World Cup quarter-finals. Former Brazilian
bloc-leader-slams-trudeau-over-unacceptable-handling-of-covid-19-vaccine-orders
CanadaNov 25, 2020

Bloc leader slams Trudeau over 'unacceptable' handling of COVID-19 vaccine orders

Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet is blasting the prime minister's response to the COVID-19 pandemic, calling Justin Trudeau's pledge that vaccines will start to arrive in the coming months "unacceptable."Trudeau sought to reassure Canadians yesterday even as he acknowledged that some other countries are likely to start inoculating their citizens first, citing Canada's low capacity to churn out vaccines.Blanchet says the federal government should have moved sooner to help obtain manufacturing rights and beef up production capacity on Canadian soil.The United States, Britain and Ger
record-shattering-941-covid-19-cases-and-10-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCNov 25, 2020

Record shattering 941 COVID-19 cases and 10 deaths reported in B.C.

British Columbia health officials are reporting a dramatic spike in COVID-19 cases, while they order a pause indoor physical activities. B.C. recorded 941 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday and 10 deaths. There are 7,732 active COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 284 people are in hospital. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint statement that residents need to support B.C.'s health-care workers by slowing the spread of COVID-19. The latest peak in numbers comes as health officials ordered dance studios, yoga studios and other indoor physical activity s
CanadaNov 24, 2020

Wrestling COVID-19 back under control depends heavily on individual Canadians restricting their activities: Dr. Theresa Tam

Dr. Theresa Tam says wrestling COVID-19 back under control depends heavily on individual Canadians restricting their activities. Canada's chief public health officer says the country is facing outbreaks in places that didn't have them during the first wave of the pandemic in the spring. And after the current second wave hit younger adults first, more and more cases are being reported in older, more vulnerable people. The Public Health Agency of Canada says on an average day in the past week, more than 2,000 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 and 70 people died. Dr. Tam says we know more n
flash-estimate-shows-manufacturing-sales-up-0-6-percent-in-october
CanadaNov 24, 2020

Flash estimate shows manufacturing sales up 0.6 percent in October

Statistics Canada says a preliminary estimate shows manufacturing sales rose 0.6 percent in October. The agency says the growth came due to higher sales in the petroleum and coal products, paper, primary metals and wood products industries. The flash estimate for October follows a rise of 1.5 percent to $53.8 billion in September.Statistics Canada cautioned that it is continuing to collect October data and that the early indicator is subject to a higher revision rate than its regular monthly release.The early estimate was calculated based on a weighted response rate of 57.8 per cent. It says
1-933-covid-19-cases-and-17-deaths-reported-in-b-c-dr-henry-says-this-pandemic-is-like-ironman-championship
BCNov 24, 2020

1,933 COVID-19 cases and 17 deaths reported in B.C.; Dr. Henry says this pandemic is like ironman championship

British Columbia health officials are working to clear up confusion surrounding COVID-19 restriction guidelines announced last week. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix spent part of their news conference Monday explaining what counts as an event or social gathering. Non-essential travel is not recommended across the province, and worship services along with community and social events have been suspended. Dr. Henry and Dix announced 1,933 new cases of COVID-19 over the past three days, along with 17 additional deaths for a total of 348 people since the p

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees