16.44°C Vancouver

News

unifors-dias-says-air-canada-pledging-passenger-refunds-as-aid-negotiations-drag-on
CanadaMar 04, 2021

Unifor's Dias says Air Canada pledging passenger refunds as aid negotiations drag on

Unifor president Jerry Dias says Air Canada is promising to refund passengers whose flights were cancelled during the COVID-19 pandemic.Dias says the airline has made the commitment repeatedly during negotiations with the federal government over an aid package for the battered sector.He says he spoke with Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau last night, confirming the pledge.Dias says roughly 4,000 of the union's 15,000 aviation workers remain fully employed a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, lending urgency to discussions in Ottawa.Air Canada and the Finance Department did not respond immediately
200-cases-of-covid-19-variants-of-concern-reported-in-b-c-so-far
BCMar 04, 2021

200 cases of COVID-19 (variants of concern) reported in B.C. so far

B.C.’s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry and Minister of Health, Adrian Dix have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia. 542 new cases, have been reported for a total of 81,909 cases in B.C. There are 4,654 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. 246 individuals are currently hospitalized, 64 of whom are in intensive care. There have been 18 new confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province, for a total of 200 cases. This includes 176 cases of the U.K. variant and 24 cases of the South Africa variant. 289,80
pm-trudeau-optimistic-governments-timeline-for-getting-a-vaccine-to-every-canadian-who-wants-one-can-be-accelerated
CanadaMar 03, 2021

PM Trudeau optimistic, government's timeline for getting a vaccine to every Canadian who wants one can be accelerated

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expressing optimism that his government's timeline for getting a vaccine into the arm of every Canadian who wants one can be accelerated. He says the federal government's September timeline didn't factor in the arrival of new vaccines such as the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot, which was approved last week. Trudeau notes that a change in the public health guidance regarding the time allowed between the first and second doses of a vaccine could also affect Canada's rollout. Health officials in B-C and Newfoundland and Labrador have said they are extending that interva
man-who-used-van-to-kill-10-pedestrians-in-toronto-guilty
CanadaMar 03, 2021

Man who used van to kill 10 pedestrians in Toronto guilty

A Canadian judge has found guilty a man who admitted using a van to kill 10 pedestrians in Toronto.Alek Minassian faced 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.The April 23, 2018, attack drew attention to an online world of sexual loneliness, rage and misogyny.His lawyer argued he didn't know what he was doing was wrong because he has autism spectrum disorder, a stance that angled autism rights advocates.Justice Anne Molloy said Wednesday the man's lawyers failed to prove he was not criminally responsible.
decision-to-delay-second-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine-by-four-months-based-on-scientific-evidence-and-real-world-data-dr-bonnie-henry
BCMar 03, 2021

Decision to delay second doses of COVID-19 vaccine by four months based on scientific evidence and real-world data: Dr. Bonnie Henry

BC's top doctor says the decision to delay second doses of COVID-19 vaccine by four months is based on scientific evidence and real-world data. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the data show protection from a single dose is upwards of 90 per cent and lasts for several months. She says delaying second doses will reduce mortality and severe illness for those most at risk while maximizing the benefit of vaccines for everyone. Dr. Henry adds that the approval of Oxford-AstraZeneca's vaccine, which can be kept in the fridge, means it's possible everyone in BC could receive their fir
unanimous-committee-report-calls-on-trudeau-not-to-trigger-election-during-pandemic
CanadaMar 03, 2021

Unanimous committee report calls on Trudeau not to trigger election during pandemic

A House of Commons committee is unanimously urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to promise he won't call a federal election while the COVID-19 pandemic rages across Canada. In a report by the procedure and House affairs committee, even Liberal members supported a recommendation calling for a commitment that there will be no election during the pandemic, unless Trudeau's minority Liberal government is defeated on a confidence vote. The committee makes no similar call for opposition parties to promise not to trigger an election during the pandemic by voting non-confidence in the government. Ho
federal-conservatives-worried-about-vaccine-hesitancy-among-seniors-because-of-conflicting-advice-on-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine
CanadaMar 02, 2021

Federal Conservatives worried about vaccine hesitancy among seniors because of conflicting advice on Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine

The federal Conservatives say they're worried about vaccine hesitancy among seniors because of conflicting advice on the use of the recently-approved Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. Tory MP Michelle Rempel Garner says the advice is confusing. A national panel of vaccine experts says provinces should not use the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on seniors. But Health Canada says it can be used on Canadians aged 65 or older. Michelle Rempel Garner on Twitter: We have called for an emergency meeting to understand why Health Canada is recommending use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in seniors when the
canadian-economy-contracted-5-4-per-cent-in-2020-worst-year-on-record
CanadaMar 02, 2021

Canadian economy contracted 5.4 per cent in 2020, worst year on record

The Canadian economy posted its worst showing on record in 2020 as the COVID-19 pandemic swept across the country, shutting down businesses and putting millions out of work.Statistics Canada says real gross domestic product shrank 5.4 per cent in 2020, the steepest annual decline since comparable data was first recorded in 1961. The drop for the year was due to the shutdown of large swaths of the economy in March and April during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic that crushed the economy.Since then, economic activity has slowly and steadily grown. Statistics Canada says the economy grew
1-478-new-covid-19-cases-and-8-deaths-reported-in-b-c-42-new-cases-are-variants-of-concern
BCMar 02, 2021

1,478 new COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths reported in B.C.; 42 new cases are variants of concern

More than 275 thousand COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in BC, but that isn't nearly enough to prevent new health facility outbreaks at Glacier View Lodge, Chilliwack General Hospital, Royal Columbian Hospital and Surrey Memorial Hospital. However, several outbreaks were also declared over, including one at St. Paul's Hospital in downtown Vancouver. BC is reporting 1,478 new COVID-19 infections from Saturday to Monday, for a total of 80,672 cases in the province since the pandemic began. There are 4,464 people with active cases in the province, of whom 236 are hospitalized and 65 are

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to