20.88°C Vancouver

News

brothers-with-gang-ties-identified-as-homicide-victims-found-after-fire-in-richmond
BCMar 22, 2021

Brothers with gang ties identified as homicide victims found after fire in Richmond

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has identified the victims of a double homicide on Friday in Richmond, B.C. The homicide team says 25-year-old Chaten Dhindsa and 23-year-old Joban Dhindsa were brothers and were known to police.The team says Richmond RCMP responded at 4:45 a.m. Friday to assist with a structure fire, but once the blaze was extinguished, two bodies were found inside the home.Police say the injuries sustained by the two men were consistent with a homicide and the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team assumed conduct of the file.Det. Lara Jansen says this is believed
b-c-reports-737-new-cases-of-covid-19-as-number-of-active-cases-goes-past-5-000-mark
BCMar 20, 2021

B.C. reports 737 new cases of COVID-19 as number of active cases goes past 5,000 mark

British Columbia officials say the province will use "every last drop" of available vaccine in its parallel COVID-19 vaccination programs. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine has allowed health authorities to target outbreaks and help front-line workers, as the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines are used for B.C.'s age-based vaccine rollout. B.C. reported 737 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total since the start of the pandemic to 90,786. The province also reported two new COVID-19-related deaths, for a t
victims-lose-2m-in-cryptocurrency-frauds-vancouver-police-warn-scams-more-frequent
BCMar 19, 2021

Victims lose $2M in cryptocurrency frauds, Vancouver police warn scams more frequent

Police say cryptocurrency scams cost victims in the Vancouver-area about $2 million in just one week and investigators believe the frauds are becoming more common. Vancouver police Const. Tania Visintin says she knows of at least four active cases where large amounts of money have been lost. She says a single victim was defrauded of more than $500,000 in a separate case last year when suspects pretending to be Service Canada representatives convinced them their Social Insurance Number had been compromised. Visintin says police believe the number of scams is growing and the total is under-repor
trudeau-denounces-lack-of-transparency-as-canadian-tried-in-china-on-spy-charges
CanadaMar 19, 2021

Trudeau denounces 'lack of transparency' as Canadian tried in China on spy charges

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau denounced China's "lack of transparency" Friday following a brief trial for Michael Spavor, one of two Canadians detained by Beijing for more than two years. Canada said its consular officials were refused permission to attend the proceedings against Spavor, an entrepreneur with North Korea-related business, who is accused by China of stealing state secrets. Jim Nickel, the Canadian Embassy's deputy chief of mission, said he was told by Spavor's lawyer that the hearing ended at noon Friday after two hours. No verdict was announced. Nickel declined to give other d
trial-of-michael-spavor-in-china-ends-without-verdict
CanadaMar 19, 2021

Trial of Michael Spavor in China ends without verdict

A Chinese court says it will pronounce its sentence on detained Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor at a later date.Spavor's trial on charges of spying and illegally sending state secrets abroad lasted just two hours today and was conducted behind closed doors.Canadian consular officials were refused permission to attend. Ten diplomats from eight countries, including the US, Britain and Australia, stood on the street opposite the courthouse in Dandong, China.Former Canadian diplomat Michael Kovrig is due to go on trial on Monday.The detention of the ``two Michaels'' is seen as retribution for
b-c-reports-622-new-covid-19-cases-with-136-cases-of-variants
BCMar 19, 2021

B.C. reports 622 new COVID-19 cases with 136 cases of variants

BC is reporting 622 new cases of COVID-19, pushing the total over 90-thousand since the pandemic began, and eight more people have died. A joint statement from provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix says more than 4,900 infections are active, including 286 people who are hospitalized. BC has confirmed 136 new variant cases for a total of 1,132, the vast majority of which are the variant first found in the United Kingdom. The province says 143 cases of those variants of concern remain active. The latest numbers come after the province announced more than 300,
enough-doses-of-covid-19-should-arrive-in-the-country-so-that-every-adult-could-get-a-first-shot-before-canada-day-maj-gen-dany-fortin
CanadaMar 18, 2021

Enough doses of COVID-19 should arrive in the country so that every adult could get a first shot before Canada Day: Maj. Gen. Dany Fortin

Barring any issues, Major-General Dany Fortin says enough doses of COVID-19 should arrive in the country so that every adult could get a first shot before Canada Day. But due to the threat of vaccine production issues, the government's official line is that Canadians will be fully vaccinated by the end of September. And the calculations rely on the provinces continuing to delay second doses up to four months to get first doses to more people sooner. Health Canada anticipates a total of 36.5-million doses from Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and the AstraZeneca vaccine from the Serum Institute of Ind
irans-report-on-shootdown-of-flight-752-doesnt-explain-why-it-happened-tsb
CanadaMar 18, 2021

Iran's report on shootdown of Flight 752 doesn't explain why it happened: TSB

Transportation Safety Board chair Kathy Fox says Iran's civil aviation agency failed to answer key questions in its final report on the downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet in January 2020. Kathy Fox says the final report on what happened to Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 fails to explain why the aircraft was shot down. Iran is blaming human error for the Revolutionary Guard firing two surface-to-air missiles at the jet shortly after it took off from Tehran. The TSB has questions about the missile operator's training, experience or proficiency. The final report from Iran's civil av
icbc-says-covid-19-rebate-cheques-delayed-after-cyberattack-on-third-party
BCMar 18, 2021

ICBC says COVID-19 rebate cheques delayed after cyberattack on third party

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia says it's temporarily delaying the delivery of COVID-19 rebate cheques due to a cyberattack on a third-party vendor contracted to provide printing and distribution services. ICBC says in a statement the vendor held customer names and addresses, as well as the dollar amounts and numbers of the rebate cheques, but there's no indication that information was obtained in the cyberattack. It says the attack did not affect ICBC's own systems, which are secure. The corporation had planned to start issuing the one-time rebate cheques this week and says it p

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in