17.41°C Vancouver

News

23-year-old-jaskeert-kalkat-identified-as-victim-of-burnaby-shooting
BCMay 14, 2021

23 year old Jaskeert Kalkat identified as victim of Burnaby shooting

Police say the seventh person to be shot and killed in Metro Vancouver since early last month was a 23 year old man affiliated with gangs. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says Jaskeert Kalkat was hit by a barrage of gunfire in the parking lot of a Burnaby mall last night. Sergeant Frank Jang says a man and woman in their 20's who were with Kalkat were also seriously wounded but are expected to survive. Police have no suspects in the latest fatality as escalating gang violence has seen daylight shootings in parks, malls and at the Vancouver International Airport.
1-dead-2-injured-in-shooting-at-burnabys-market-crossing
BCMay 14, 2021

1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Burnaby's Market Crossing

Burnaby RCMP are investigating a shooting at a shopping complex in Metro Vancouver that left one person dead and two in hospital. Police say they were called to the scene around 8:35 pm Thursday evening following reports of gunshots at Market Crossing. They say their initial investigation shows this shooting ``does not appear to be a random act.''Police say one man they found with gunshot wounds succumbed to his injuries despite all attempts to revive him.They say two other people were also shot and are recovering in hospital. No suspect information was released.The Burnaby Mounties are now wo
b-c-reports-second-case-of-a-person-developing-a-rare-blood-clot-after-receiving-the-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine
BCMay 14, 2021

B.C. reports second case of a person developing a rare blood clot after receiving the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

There has been a second case in BC of a person developing a rare blood clot after receiving the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says it involves a man in his 40's in the Fraser Health region. Dr. Henry says he is receiving treatment and is in stable condition. The case was reported a day after Henry announced that the province would use its remaining stock of the AstraZeneca vaccine for second doses. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says no COVID-19 health restrictions will be lifted before the May long weekend even though the infection rate
ethics-watchdog-pm-didnt-violate-conflict-rules-over-we-charity-but-morneau-did
CanadaMay 13, 2021

Ethics watchdog: PM didn't violate conflict rules over WE Charity, but Morneau did

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not breach the Conflict of Interest Act over failing to recuse himself from cabinet discussions to have WE Charity operate a federal student-volunteer program, Canada's ethics watchdog say in a report released Thursday. In a separate report, federal ethics commissioner Mario Dion found that former finance minister Bill Morneau did violate the rules and should have recused himself. He says Morneau ``gave WE preferential treatment by permitting his ministerial staff to disproportionately assist it when it sought federal funding.'' Dion says he was asked to inve
greyhound-canada-to-cut-all-routes-end-operations
CanadaMay 13, 2021

Greyhound Canada to cut all routes, end operations

Greyhound Canada is permanently cutting all bus routes across the country, shutting down the intercity bus carrier's operations in Canada after nearly a century of service. The motor coach company says its remaining routes in Ontario and Quebec will cease permanently on Thursday. Its American affiliate, Greyhound Lines, Inc., will continue to operate cross-border routes to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver once the border reopens. The decision comes a year after Greyhound Canada temporarily suspended all service due to a sharp decline in passengers and mounting travel restrictions amid the firs
expert-says-covid-19-could-be-a-cause-in-public-nature-of-gang-violence-1
BCMay 13, 2021

Expert says COVID-19 could be a cause in public nature of gang violence

An expert on gangs says the very public nature of a recent series of shootings in Metro Vancouver may be attributed to COVID-19 restrictions, with rivals striking at the first chance they get.Martin Bouchard, a professor in Simon Fraser University's school of criminology, says the pandemic has changed people's routines and they aren't getting out of their homes often, which could play a role in the brazen nature of shootings.He says gang violence follows its own course regardless of what the initial motive was for the conflict.The comments come as police leaders meet today with Solicitor Gene
british-columbia-to-use-remaining-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-second-doses
BCMay 13, 2021

British Columbia to use remaining AstraZeneca vaccine for second doses

British Columbia will be holding its remaining stock of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to use as second doses for residents. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say the change is due to the limited availability of the vaccine. The pair say in a joint statement all currently scheduled vaccination appointments through pharmacies will proceed, but no additional appointments will be booked. British Columbia reported 600 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and 5,887 active infections, for a total of 137,223 since the pandemic began. It also reported one n
business-leaders-in-michigan-ohio-wisconsin-urge-court-to-keep-line-5-operating
WorldMay 12, 2021

Business leaders in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin urge court to keep Line 5 operating

Business leaders in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin have joined forces with their Canadian counterparts in the legal fight over the Line 5 pipeline. The U.S. and Canadian chambers of commerce are also included in a new legal brief filed with the U.S. District Court in Michigan.The filing comes after a similar brief was submitted yesterday by the federal Liberal government urging the court to keep the cross-border pipeline operating.The chambers spell out in detail a cascade of likely "severe, nationwide and international" consequences if the line running through Michigan is shut down.They argue
what-we-want-to-see-b-c-covid-19-case-counts-trending-downward-vaccinations-up
BCMay 12, 2021

'What we want to see': B.C. COVID-19 case counts trending downward, vaccinations up

British Columbia recorded 515 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday, continuing a downward trend of infections as the vaccination rate accelerates. Health officials say in a news release that 6,020 people have active infections, 426 of whom are hospitalized, including 141 in intensive care. Two more people have died, bringing the death toll to 1,624. More than 2.2 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered, 110,516 of which are second doses. The government is also extending the provincial state of emergency through May 25, saying it would allow health and emergency management officials to

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees