20.35°C Vancouver

Mar 18, 2021 3:27 PM -

ICBC says COVID-19 rebate cheques delayed after cyberattack on third party

Share On
icbc-says-covid-19-rebate-cheques-delayed-after-cyberattack-on-third-party
A woman uses her computer keyboard to type while surfing the internet in North Vancouver, B.C., on December 19, 2012. The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia says it's temporarily delaying the delivery of COVID-19 rebate cheques due to a cyberattack on a third-party vendor contracted to provide printing and distribution services. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia says it's temporarily delaying the delivery of COVID-19 rebate cheques due to a cyberattack on a third-party vendor contracted to provide printing and distribution services.

ICBC says in a statement the vendor held customer names and addresses, as well as the dollar amounts and numbers of the rebate cheques, but there's no indication that information was obtained in the cyberattack.

It says the attack did not affect ICBC's own systems, which are secure.

The corporation had planned to start issuing the one-time rebate cheques this week and says it put plans on hold as soon as it learned of the attack.

The statement says ICBC is optimistic the delay will be minimal and it is working on options to issue cheques to customers in the coming weeks.

The corporation saved about $600 million due to decreases in crashes during the first wave of the pandemic and the rebate is about 19 per cent of the premium customers paid between April and September last year.

ICBC says that works out to an average of $190 per customer.

Latest news

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa vows dollar-for-dollar tariff response

Canada has ended its latest round of trade negotiations with the United States after Ottawa said Washington changed key conditions near the deadline, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to recall Canadian negotiators from the talks. Carney said the revised U.S. terms were unreasonable and harmful to Canada’s interests. He said the government would move quickly to support Canadian workers and businesses affected by the trade measures and would respond to U.S. tariffs on a dollar-for-dollar basis. U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, meanwhile, said Canada rejected an opportunity for a d
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in

Related News