16.56°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-1-438-new-covid-19-cases-and-17-deaths-over-the-weekend
BCNov 09, 2021

B.C. reports 1,438 new COVID-19 cases and 17 deaths over the weekend

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 1,438 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 209,703 cases in the province:Nov. 5-6: 553 new casesNov. 6-7: 462 new casesNov. 7-8: 423 new casesThere are 4,282 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 202,898 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 407 individuals are in hospital and 121 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation. In the past 72 hours, 17 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,218. The new deaths include:Fraser Healt
federal-leaders-remember-sacrifices-injustices-endured-by-indigenous-veterans
BCNov 08, 2021

Federal leaders remember sacrifices, injustices endured by Indigenous veterans

Federal leaders are paying tribute to the sacrifices of Indigenous veterans as well as the discrimination they faced after returning from war. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says all flags on federal government buildings, including the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill, were lowered to acknowledge the service of Indigenous veterans. He told his Caucus this morning that Indigenous people who served across this country often faced systems and discrimination and barriers that were greater than they were for others. It is estimated that more than 12,000 Indigenous people joined the Canadian military
b-c-reports-549-new-covid-19-cases-and-1-death
BCNov 06, 2021

B.C. reports 549 new COVID-19 cases and 1 death

B.C. is reporting 549 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 208,265 cases in the province.There are 4,483 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 201,267 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 441 individuals are in hospital and 129 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, one new death (Northern Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 2,201.There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Bethshan Gardens (Fraser Health). The outbreak at West Shore
six-people-related-to-brothers-keepers-drug-trafficking-network-arrested-in-b-c-police
BCNov 05, 2021

Six people related to Brothers Keepers drug trafficking network arrested in B.C.: Police

Police say six people from around BC with links to a prominent gang have been charged following an investigation that began in 2018. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the suspects are part of the Brothers Keepers' drug trafficking network and are known for violent activity. Police say search warrants resulted in the seizure of drugs including cocaine and fentanyl, a loaded pistol, lab equipment used in the production of synthetic drugs and over 50-thousand dollars in cash. Charges against the three men and three women range from trafficking a controlled substance for the benef
premier-john-horgan-diagonosed-with-cancer
BCNov 04, 2021

Premier John Horgan diagonosed with cancer

Premier John Horgan has released the following statement regarding the latest state of his health:"The surgery and biopsy that were done last week were successful and I am grateful to the amazing health-care team for all the support I’ve received. The pathology confirmed that the growth in my throat was cancerous."My prognosis is good and I expect to make a full recovery. In the next couple of weeks I will need to start radiation treatment, which will conclude toward the end of December. "During that time, I will continue to participate virtually in briefings, cabinet meetings, and other imp
investigation-and-prosecution-of-military-related-sexual-misconduct-and-assault-cases-to-move-to-civilian-police-anita-anand
CanadaNov 04, 2021

Investigation and prosecution of military related sexual misconduct and assault cases to move to civilian police: Anita Anand

Canada's new defence minister says she's accepted a call to move the investigation and prosecution of sexual misconduct and assault cases that happen in the military over from the force's control to civilian police. Anita Anand says the federal government has accepted ``in full'' the recommendation from retired Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour. Arbour was the second retired Supreme Court justice to call for the military to transfer criminal cases involving sexual misconduct to civilian authorities. Morris Fish made a similar recommendation in June, following a comprehensive review of the m
b-c-reports-430-new-covid-19-cases-and-6-deaths
BCNov 04, 2021

B.C. reports 430 new COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths

B.C. is reporting 430 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 207,120 cases in the province.There are currently 4,373 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 200,220 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 137 individuals are currently in intensive care.In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,192.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: fourInterior Health: oneIsland Health: oneThere has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Hallmark on the Park (Fraser Health). The outbreaks at Heritage
transportation-safety-board-to-probe-fire-in-containers-on-zim-kingston-off-victoria
BCNov 03, 2021

Transportation Safety Board to probe fire in containers on Zim Kingston, off Victoria

A team from the Transportation Safety Board has been assigned to investigate the fire that destroyed containers aboard a freighter now moored off the south coast of Vancouver Island. A statement from the board says the team will "gather information and assess the occurrence" aboard the MV Zim Kingston. The fire was reported in a row of containers stacked on the deck of the ship shortly after the vessel was caught in a severe storm on Oct. 22, near the entrance to Juan de Fuca Strait. That storm also swept 109 other containers into the ocean, where most are still missing, and the few that washe
pm-trudeau-urges-the-world-to-have-60-per-cent-of-the-worlds-greenhouse-gas-emissions-covered-by-a-price-by-2030
WorldNov 02, 2021

PM Trudeau urges the world to have 60 per cent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions covered by a price by 2030

World leaders at the UN climate summit are promising to protect the world's forests, cut methane emissions and help South Africa wean itself off coal. Britain is hailing the commitment by over 100 countries, including Canada, to end deforestation in the coming decade as the first big achievement of the conference known as COP-26. Meanwhile, the U-S is launching a plan to reduce methane emissions, a potent greenhouse gas that contributes significantly to global warming. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau used his speech at the opening of an event on carbon pricing to urge the world to have 60 per c

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to