25.11°C Vancouver

News

edmonton-mp-matt-jeneroux-resigns-from-parliament-following-another-conservatives-defection
CanadaNov 07, 2025

Edmonton MP Matt Jeneroux resigns from Parliament following another Conservative’s defection

Conservative MP Matt Jeneroux has announced his resignation from Parliament, marking the second departure from the federal Conservative caucus in less than a week. Jeneroux, who has represented Edmonton Riverbend since 2015, said in a letter that stepping down was “not an easy decision” but one he believes is “the right one.” He noted that he had hoped to contribute to a government led by Pierre Poilievre’s Conservatives but acknowledged that the political outcome had not aligned with his expectations. The Alberta MP expressed “great admiration” for members of the House of Common
CanadaNov 06, 2025

Ottawa man pleads guilty in mass stabbing that killed mother, four children, and family friend

A 20-year-old man has pleaded guilty to six counts of murder and one count of attempted murder in connection with a mass stabbing that shocked Ottawa last year. Febrio De-Zoysa entered guilty pleas today in an Ottawa courtroom to four charges of first-degree murder and two of second-degree murder, as well as one charge of attempted murder. The killings took place in 2024 at a rented townhouse in the Barrhaven area. The victims were 35-year-old Darshani Ekanayake, her four children aged between two months and seven years, and 40-year-old family friend Gamini Amarakoon. The children’s father,
quebec-lowers-permanent-immigration-target-to-45-000-per-year-focuses-on-french-language-integration
CanadaNov 06, 2025

Quebec lowers permanent immigration target to 45,000 per year, focuses on French-language integration

The Quebec government has announced it will reduce its annual target for new permanent residents to 45,000, marking a significant shift from the roughly 61,000 people expected to settle in the province this year. The revised plan outlines a more moderate approach than earlier proposals that would have lowered the figure to as few as 25,000 newcomers annually. The government’s new immigration framework emphasizes language integration, setting a goal for nearly 80 per cent of new immigrants to achieve at least intermediate-level French by 2029. In 2019, that figure was 50 per cent. Officials s
surrey-police-urge-vigilance-as-distraction-thefts-target-seniors-during-safety-week
CanadaNov 06, 2025

Surrey police urge vigilance as distraction thefts target seniors during Safety Week

The Surrey Police Service and the City of Surrey are reminding residents to stay alert as reports of distraction thefts continue to target seniors across the city. The awareness campaign coincides with National Seniors Safety Week, running from November 6 to 12, and focuses on helping older residents recognize and prevent these crimes. Police say 54 distraction thefts have been reported in Surrey so far this year, with many victims being seniors. Investigators note that suspects often approach their targets under friendly pretenses, such as asking for directions, complimenting jewellery, or of
conservatives-and-bloc-québécois-to-vote-against-federal-budget
CanadaNov 05, 2025

Conservatives and Bloc Québécois to Vote Against Federal Budget

The Conservative Party and the Bloc Québécois say they will not support the Liberal government’s new federal budget, narrowing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s options to keep his minority government afloat. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre called the budget “an inflationary plan” and said his party cannot back what he described as a costly proposal. He said Conservatives wanted a budget that would make life more affordable for Canadians and announced plans to introduce an amendment aimed at restoring affordability. With both the Conservatives and Bloc Québécois opposed, the Lib
nova-scotia-mp-chris-dentremont-quits-conservatives-joins-carney-liberals-after-budget
CanadaNov 05, 2025

Nova Scotia MP Chris d’Entremont quits Conservatives, joins Carney Liberals after budget

Nova Scotia Conservative MP Chris d’Entremont has crossed the floor to join Prime Minister Mark Carney’s Liberal government, marking a significant political shift ahead of crucial budget votes in Ottawa. In a statement released late Tuesday, the Liberal Party confirmed that d’Entremont resigned from Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre’s caucus following the tabling of the 2025 federal budget. The Acadie–Annapolis MP said the government’s spending plan reflected “the priorities I have heard most in my riding,” including investments in community infrastructure and local economic
federal-budget-forecasts-78b-deficit-as-liberals-shift-spending-plan
CanadaNov 04, 2025

Federal budget forecasts $78B deficit as Liberals shift spending plan

The Carney government presented its first budget today, nearly seven months after taking office. The 406-page budget promises to make Canada stronger. It also outlines that Canada's deficit this year will be $78.3 billion. However, the budget deficit is projected to reach $56.6 billion by 2029-2030. This budget is promising $141 billion in new spending over the next five years in new measures and promises that this spending will result in $51.2 billion in savings. The government's largest expenditure includes defense spending, which includes $20.4 billion in military recruitment and retention
indian-external-affairs-minister-s-jaishankar-to-attend-g7-foreign-ministers-meeting-in-canada
CanadaNov 04, 2025

Indian External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar to Attend G7 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in Canada

India’s External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar is expected to visit Canada next week to attend the G7 Foreign Ministers’ meeting, which will take place in Ontario’s Niagara region on November 11 and 12. The gathering will include ministers from France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States, and representatives from the European Union. Jaishankar’s participation is being viewed as a significant step toward improving relations between India and Canada, which have experienced recent diplomatic strain. He has also been invited to join foreign ministers from non-G7 c
federal-government-to-present-first-budget-under-prime-minister-carney
CanadaNov 04, 2025

Federal government to present first budget under Prime Minister Carney

The federal Liberals are set to table their long-awaited budget today, marking the government’s first fiscal plan in nearly a year and the first under Prime Minister Mark Carney’s leadership. Government House Leader Steven MacKinnon told MPs on Monday that the budget will focus on affordability, promising measures to lower taxes and expand opportunities for young Canadians. He said the plan is designed to make Canadians “proud” while keeping fiscal discipline in mind. Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne described the upcoming budget as one that will deliver “generational in

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees