21.91°C Vancouver

News

CanadaJun 18, 2022

92 year old priest charged with assault in historic Manitoba residential school case

Manitoba RCMP say a 92 year old priest has been charged after a decade-long investigation into the Fort Alexander Residential School northeast of Winnipeg.Arthur Masse was charged with one count of indecent assault on a 10 year old girl.The school was opened in 1905 in the community of Fort Alexander, which later became the Sagkeeng First Nation.The school closed in 1970.Mounties have said that officers with the major crime unit began looking into the residential school in 2010 and a criminal investigation began the following year.Police have said the investigation involved reviewing archived
168-cases-of-monkeypox-confirmed-in-canada-including-141-in-quebec
CanadaJun 17, 2022

168 cases of monkeypox confirmed in Canada, including 141 in Quebec

Federal officials say there are 168 confirmed cases of monkeypox in Canada. The Public Health Agency of Canada says 141 cases have been reported in Quebec, 21 in Ontario, four in Alberta and two in British Columbia as of Friday.Canada's chief public health officer says all infections have been in men aged 20 to 69.Dr. Theresa Tam told a news conference that many cases have been linked to sexual contact with other men, but the virus can spread to anyone who has had close physical contact with an infected person.Tam says local health authorities have indicated that the rate of growth is slowing,
freeland-touts-previously-announced-measures-to-combat-hot-inflation
CanadaJun 16, 2022

Freeland touts previously announced measures to combat hot inflation

Amid stubbornly hot inflation and rising interest rates, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland detailed financial commitments to ``help make life more affordable for millions of Canadians'', but the measures were all previously announced. Freeland delivered a keynote address about the state of the Canadian economy at the Empire Club of Canada in downtown Toronto on Thursday afternoon. In her speech, Freeland highlighted the federal government's ``Affordability Plan,'' which she referred to as a suite of measures totalling $8.9 billion in new support for Canadians in 2022. The measures were all i
torontos-black-residents-receive-apology-from-the-citys-interim-police-chief-as-the-force-released-unseen-race-based-data
CanadaJun 15, 2022

Toronto's Black residents receive apology from the city's interim police chief as the force released unseen race-based data

Toronto's Black residents received an apology from the city's interim police chief today as the force released previously unseen race-based data on use of force. Toronto's interim police chief has apologized to the city's Black community as the force releases previously unseen race-based data on its use of force and strip searches. James Ramer says the force has not done enough to ensure everyone receives fair and unbiased treatment. The apology was swiftly rejected by some, including one activist who noted that Black people have called for years for police to stop treating them unfairly. Bev
rcmp-investigating-false-parliament-hill-bomb-tip-against-sikh-men-ottawa-police
CanadaJun 15, 2022

RCMP investigating false Parliament Hill bomb tip against Sikh men: Ottawa police

Ottawa police say the RCMP is conducting an ongoing investigation into the false bomb tip that led to the arrest of two Sikh rally organizers near Parliament Hill on Saturday. Interim Ottawa police chief Steve Bell shared that information in a letter to the city's police services board Tuesday night.Bell says in light of that investigation, Ottawa police is limited in what it can share about the circumstances around Saturday's incident, but adds it will work to give as much information as possible to "ensure transparency."Bell says police are aware of the effect law enforcement's response had
ottawa-bomb-hoax-targeting-sikh-rally-deeply-concerning-wso
CanadaJun 14, 2022

Ottawa bomb hoax targeting sikh rally deeply concerning: WSO

The World Sikh Organization is calling for an investigation into a false tip that led to the wrongful arrest of two organizers of a Sikh rally near Parliament Hill. The organization's president says Canadian law enforcement should fully investigate and prosecute those involved. Tejinder Singh Sidhu says in a statement that the ``hoax bomb threat'' in connection to the Sikh rally on Saturday is ``deeply concerning.'' The two rally organizers say they were wrongfully arrested in connection with a bomb threat that prompted an evacuation of Parliament and the closure of surrounding streets.
federal-covid-19-vaccine-mandates-suspended-for-domestic-outbound-travellers
CanadaJun 14, 2022

Federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates suspended for domestic, outbound travellers

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says the Canadian government will suspend COVID-19 vaccine mandates for domestic and outbound international travellers and federally regulated workers. The new rules will come into effect on June 20, though the requirements for foreign nationals coming to Canada will not change. Intergovernmental affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc warns the government is prepared to ``bring back'' necessary policies if there's a resurgence of the virus in the fall. Travel industry groups have blamed federal public health measures and mandates for slowdowns at airport customs tha
canadas-covid-alert-app-will-be-discontinued-as-pcr-testing-becomes-rare
CanadaJun 13, 2022

Canada's COVID Alert app will be discontinued as PCR testing becomes rare

A federal government source says Canada's much-criticized COVID Alert app will be discontinued in the coming days. The app was launched in the summer of 2020 as the pandemic began. Nearly 7 million people had downloaded it as of February 1st, but it requires users to enter a one-time key for a positive PCR test, which many provinces are no longer offering. Less than 58,000 of the keys have been used in the app. The COVID Alert App cost the government 20-million-dollars.
toronto-van-attacker-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-with-no-parole-for-25-years
CanadaJun 13, 2022

Toronto van attacker sentenced to life in prison with no parole for 25 years

The man responsible for Toronto's deadly 2018 van attack has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years. Alek Minassian has also been sentenced to 20 years for 15 counts of attempted murder, which are to be served concurrently. He was found guilty last year of 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder. Eight women and two men died on April 23, 2018, when Minassian, bent on infamy, angered by women who wouldn't sleep with him and radicalized in the bowels of the internet deliberately drove a rented van down a busy sidewalk. Another woman die

Just In

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic