22.78°C Vancouver

News

former-b-c-premier-john-horgan-to-retire-early-as-member-of-legislature
BCFeb 10, 2023

Former B.C. premier John Horgan to retire early as member of legislature

Former British Columbia premier John Horgan says he is leaving politics, and gave an emotional farewell speech in the legislature.While he didn't give a specific time for his departure, he suggested St. Patrick's Day on March 17 might be a good day to go.Horgan, who's 63, has twice battled cancer, and announced last June that health reasons were forcing him to retire from the premier's job after five years.He did tell members of the house that he was healthy, and thanked all those who supported him during his battle with throat cancer.In his 35-minute speech, he also thanked several members of
federal-government-giving-bail-reformserious-consideration-justice-minister
CanadaFeb 09, 2023

'Federal government giving bail reform'serious consideration' : Justice minister

Justice Minister David Lametti says he is giving "serious consideration" to reforming Canada's bail laws in response to a request from premiers to make changes.Provincial premiers unanimously called on the Liberal government in a letter to take "immediate action" on the bail system earlier this year.The letter from premiers says there are a growing number of calls for changes to prevent accused people who are out on bail from committing further criminal acts.Premiers called on the federal government to establish a "reverse onus" system for specific firearm offences that would require the perso
b-c-fines-teck-coal-more-than-16-million-over-elk-valley-infractions
BCFeb 09, 2023

B.C. fines Teck Coal more than $16 million over Elk Valley infractions

The British Columbia government has fined Teck Coal Limited more than $16 million for exceeding pollution thresholds as well as failing to build an active water treatment facility on time at one of its operations in southeastern B.C.The province's natural resources compliance and enforcement database shows three fines were issued at the end of January, including one penalty of nearly $15.5 million as a result of the company's failure to get its Fording River south water treatment facility operational by the December 2018 deadline in its permit.The decision document from the B.C. Environment Mi
number-of-organ-donors-tripled-in-quebec-after-maid-legalised
CanadaFeb 09, 2023

Number of organ donors tripled in Quebec after MAID legalised

Quebec is reporting a tripling of the number of organ donors in the last five years, including a major jump last year in donations through medical aid in dying.Transplant Québec says it received 854 organ donation referrals in 2022, which it said was a "record number."The organization says that about 15 per cent of all donors in the past year had received MAID, adding that the vast majority of them, about 85 per cent had been diagnosed with neurodegenerative or neurological disease.Quebec's end-of-life care bill came into effect in December 2015, and the first two organ donations through MAID
CanadaFeb 09, 2023

'Canada may fast-track immigration applications from people in earthquake zone': Sean Fraser

Immigration Minister Sean Fraser says Canada may fast-track applications to come to Canada from people in the earthquake zones of Turkey and Syria.Two major earthquakes rocked southwestern Turkey and northwestern Syria in a matter of hours on Monday, destroying thousands of buildings.The confirmed death toll keeps rising, with more than 19,000 people killed and at least another 64,000 injured.Tens of thousands more are homeless in the middle of winter and struggling to access food, water and shelter.Fraser says his department is trying to understand the effect on applicants already in Canada's
keep-canadas-doors-open-to-ukrainians-refugee-groups
CanadaFeb 08, 2023

'Keep Canada's doors open to Ukrainians' : Refugee groups

Humanitarian groups that have been supporting Ukrainian refugees are calling on Ottawa to extend a special immigration program that allows people fleeing Ukraine to temporarily live, work and study in Canada.The program provides Ukrainians and their families with a visa to stay in Canada for up to three years while they figure out their next steps, but applications are due to close on March 31.As of Jan. 29, more than 150,000 Ukrainians have arrived in Canada since the Russian invasion of their country last year.Four organizations that represent Canadian volunteers, hosts and sponsors have wri
a-year-after-freedom-convoy-ottawa-set-to-reopen-street-infront-of-parliament-hill
CanadaFeb 08, 2023

A year after Freedom Convoy, Ottawa set to reopen street infront of Parliament Hill

Ottawa's city council has approved a motion to reopen the street in front of Parliament Hill to traffic a year after it was closed off following the "Freedom Convoy" protests.Wellington Street, which was blocked by demonstrators during the weeks-long convoy protests last winter, will reopen no earlier than March 1.The city's transportation committee voted in favour of the same motion last month, and it was brought to the city council this morning for final approval.Councillors also voted to put in new infrastructure, including a temporary bike lane, and to explore closures of the street for su
trudeau-presents-196-billion-healthcare-funding-including-46-billion-in-new-funding
CanadaFeb 07, 2023

Trudeau presents $196 billion healthcare funding, including $46 billion in new funding

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government will increase federal health-care transfers to the provinces by $196 billion over the next 10 years, though only about one-quarter of that is new, previously unexpected money.Trudeau made this offer to the premiers today at a meeting in Ottawa.He says it will include an immediate and unconditional top-up of $2 billion to the Canada Health Transfer to ease the intense pressure on hospitals.The proposal includes a promise to increase the annual Canada Health Transfer over the next decade by another $17 billion above previous commitments.As well,
one-third-canadians-financially-worse-off-compared-to-year-ago
CanadaFeb 07, 2023

One-third Canadians financially worse off compared to year ago

A new poll finds one-third of Canadian households say their financial situation has worsened over the last year.According to a Leger poll commissioned by the Association for Canadian Studies, 34 per cent of Canadian households say they're financially worse off compared with a year ago.The majority of respondents, 58 per cent, said their financial situation is about the same as it was a year ago.Meanwhile, nine per cent report their financial situation has improved.Quebecers were the least likely to report their financial situation has worsened, while respondents in British Columbia were the mo

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to