24.4°C Vancouver

News

ottawa-extending-amnesty-for-assault-style-firearms-again-until-october-2025
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Ottawa extending amnesty for 'assault-style' firearms again, until October 2025

The federal Liberal government says it will extend an amnesty order on guns it prohibited in the wake of the deadly 2020 Nova Scotia shooting rampage for an extra two years.Public Safety Canada quietly posted the extension on its website about the yet-to-be-developed firearms buyback program, saying the amnesty period that was set to expire at the end of the month will remain in place until Oct. 30, 2025.The amnesty applies to those who own one of the more than 1,500 models of guns that Ottawa announced it was banning, saying "assault-style" firearms, such as the AR-15, have no place in commun
canadian-grocers-havent-yet-responded-to-price-stabilization
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Canadian grocers haven't yet responded to price stabilization

Major grocers in Canada are not yet confirming whether they have committed to special promotions to stabilize grocery prices, as was recently promised by the federal government.Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced last week that the grocers have presented initial plans to stabilize prices, which include discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns.The Canadian Press has reached out to the grocers like Loblaw, Empire, Metro, Walmart and Costco to confirm what exactly each of them has promised to do.Metro declined to comment, while Loblaw, Empire and Costco have not
canadians-will-be-airlifted-from-israel-foreign-minister
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Canadians will be airlifted from Israel: Foreign Minister

Canada's Foreign Minister Melanie Joly confirmed the death of two Canadians in Israel on Wednesday and said that there is a fear that a third may be killed.Along with this, the case of the disappearance of three other Canadians is being investigated.Joly said the government will airlift Canadians in the coming days using Canadian military aircraft.Other arrangements will be made for those who cannot reach the airport in Tel Aviv.The latest federal statistics show that 4249 Canadians are registered in Israel.476 Canadians are registered in Gaza and the West Bank.Joly said they know how difficul
rcmp-starts-investigation-into-greenbelt-land-case
CanadaOct 10, 2023

RCMP starts investigation into greenbelt land case

The RCMP announced Tuesday that they have opened a criminal investigation into Ontario Premier Doug Ford's plan to open up greenbelt land for development.An RCMP spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday that the RCMP O Division's Sensitive and International Investigations Unit has opened an investigation into allegations related to the decision to open up part of the Greenbelt to development following a referral from the Ontario Provincial Police.He said that the investigation will be fair so that Canadians will know the real truth.An RCMP spokesperson said no further information will be relea
montreal-man-among-those-killed-in-attack-on-israel-by-hamas-militants
CanadaOct 10, 2023

Montreal man among those killed in attack on Israel by Hamas militants

A Montreal man says his son is among the victims of an attack by Hamas militants on Israel over the weekend.Alain Haim Look says in a social media post that his son Alexandre Look was killed in Israel on Saturday while trying to save those around them.Look describes his son as a force of nature with unique charisma, and says he died a hero.A spokeswoman for the Chabad of Westmount Education Centre says she knows Look's parents, who are part of the centre's community, and she confirms the authenticity of the post.Devorah Shanowitz, the centre's director of education, says the centre's rabbis ha
online-news-act-not-perfect-but-necessary-heritage-minister
CanadaOct 06, 2023

Online News Act not perfect but necessary: Heritage Minister

Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge says that while the Online News Act isn't perfect, the media landscape is changing too fast for the government to wait any longer.Speaking at the MINDS international news agency conference in Toronto, St-Onge said that the government intends to stand firm with the law that will force Facebook and Google to pay for news links on their websites.She says Facebook is using intimidation tactics by removing all news links in Canada before the act is even in force, and encouraged other countries to also take action against tech giants to protect news.Facebook parent
supreme-court-upholds-publication-bans-on-details-of-trials-before-jury-selection
CanadaOct 06, 2023

Supreme Court upholds publication bans on details of trials before jury selection

Canada's highest court has ruled that media can't publish portions of a criminal trial that take place before a jury is constituted.In a unanimous decision released today, the Supreme Court of Canada has upheld lower court decisions that said those trial details cannot be made public until jurors begin deliberating or are dismissed.At issue were two cases in which judges imposed publication bans on proceedings that took place before juries were impanelled, leading media companies to appeal those bans directly to the Supreme Court.One case was heard in Quebec and involved Frédérick Silva, a h
canada-india-tension-could-become-opportunity-for-foreign-powers-state-department
CanadaOct 06, 2023

Canada-India tension could become opportunity for foreign powers: State Department

A senior State Department official says Canada's dispute with India could make for fertile ground for foreign efforts to sow disinformation.James Rubin, the co-ordinator of the Global Engagement Center, says the diplomatic standoff makes Canada "ripe" for manipulation, and not just from inside India.A new report from the centre describes in detail the lengths China is going to dominate the information space around the world, including in Canada.The report notes how Chinese operatives used the WeChat messaging platform in an effort earlier this year to discredit Ontario MP Michael Chong.Chong w
64-000-new-jobs-created-in-canada-in-september-bc-quebec-lead-way
CanadaOct 06, 2023

64,000 new jobs created in Canada in September. BC & Quebec lead way

Statistics Canada says the economy added 64,000 jobs last month as the country's population continues to rapidly grow. The federal agency released its September labour force survey this morning, which finds the unemployment rate held steady at 5.5 per cent. Canada's labour market has cooled over the last year amid higher interest rates, but the unemployment rate remains below pre-pandemic levels. The job gains last month were concentrated in part-time work, while there were more people working in educational services and transportation and warehousing. Meanwhile, jobs were shed in finance, in

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees