23.34°C Vancouver

News

hamas-is-a-threat-to-the-world-it-must-be-eliminated-bill-blair
CanadaOct 24, 2023

Hamas is a threat to the world, it must be eliminated: Bill Blair

Defence Minister Bill Blair says Hamas is a terrorist organization that is a threat to the whole world and must be "eliminated." Blair also says he has no expectation that Hamas would respect international law, including any agreement on a ceasefire. His comments are the furthest any Canadian minister has gone in explaining why Canada does not support calls for a ceasefire. The defence minister also appeared unwilling to back more recent calls for a "humanitarian pause," but says there are talks underway to get more aid into the Gaza Strip. More than one million Palestinians have been displace
five-people-including-shooter-dead-after-shootings-in-ontarios-sault-ste-marie
CanadaOct 24, 2023

Five people, including shooter, dead after shootings in Ontario's Sault Ste. Marie

The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service says officers first discovered the body of a 41-year-old around 10:20 p.m. Monday after someone called to report a break-and-enter at a home.They say the shooter appeared to have fled and about 10 minutes later, police received another call for someone with a weapon at a home about three kilometres north from the previous residence.Police say they found three children aged six, seven and twelve dead in that second home and a 45-year-old who was injured with a gunshot wound.They say officers also found the 44-year-old shooter, who appeared to have died after
spamouflage-campaign-targeting-trudeau-mps-linked-to-china-global-affairs-canada
CanadaOct 23, 2023

'Spamouflage' campaign targeting Trudeau, MPs linked to China: Global Affairs Canada

Global Affairs Canada says there's a social media campaign connected to the People's Republic of China is targeting dozens of MPs with spam.The department says a bot network known as "Spamouflage" began spreading propaganda and disinformation messages across Facebook and X in early August.Global Affairs says the bot network left thousands of comments in English and French on the accounts of MPs claiming a critic of the Chinese Communist Party in Canada accused the various MPs of criminal and ethical violations.It says the messages appeared across the political spectrum, even appearing on the a
canadian-in-gaza-shares-details-about-israel-hamas-war-situation-gets-more-dangerous
CanadaOct 23, 2023

Canadian in Gaza shares details about Israel-Hamas war, situation gets more dangerous

A Canadian man in Gaza says Israeli airstrikes that were previously heard roughly every hour can now be heard every few minutes as the Israel-Hamas war escalates.Mansour Shouman says Israel's bombardment of Gaza has grown relentless recently, and even locations where civilians were previously advised to take refuge are not safe.The sounds of explosions can be heard in the background as Shouman says he narrowly escaped an airstrike near the southern Gaza hospital complex where he has been taking shelter.He also says that small shipments of aid that were twice allowed into Gaza over the weekend
india-sets-condition-to-restart-visa-services-for-canada
CanadaOct 23, 2023

India sets condition to restart visa services for Canada

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar has said that if India sees progress in the security of its diplomats in Canada, then they can soon start visa services for Canadians.He said that India was concerned about the safety of Indian diplomats in Canada.He added that Canada was unable to provide a safe environment for diplomats, in violation of the Vienna Convention, which led to the temporary suspension of visa services.He said that if India sees progress in the security of its diplomats working there, then India will resume issuing visas.It is worth noting that relations between India and Ca
premier-doug-ford-writes-to-bank-of-canada-to-pause-interest-rate-increase
CanadaOct 23, 2023

Premier Doug Ford writes to Bank of Canada to pause interest rate increase

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has urged the Bank of Canada not to raise interest rates further.Doug Ford has already written a letter to Tiff Macklem.Doug Ford wrote a letter to Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem on Sunday saying that millions of people are struggling to make ends meet.He said that the previous interest rate hikes have put a lot of burden on families and businesses, so interest rates should not be increased further.It is worth noting that on Wednesday, the Bank of Canada will decide whether to increase interest rates or not, and two days before that, Ford wrote a letter to Mackl
CanadaOct 20, 2023

Saskatchewan legislature passes pronoun bill in special sitting

A controversial bill on the use of pronouns in schools has received final approval in the Saskatchewan legislature.The new law will prevent children under 16 from changing their names or pronouns at school without receiving parental consent.It uses the notwithstanding clause to override sections of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Saskatchewan's Human Rights Code.Education Minister Jeremy Cockrill says he expects all school divisions to abide by the legislation.The Opposition New Democrats opposed the bill, saying it strips rights from vulnerable people.The Saskatchewan Party government
poilievre-calls-on-ottawa-to-block-rbcs-13-5b-takeover-of-hsbc-canada
CanadaOct 20, 2023

Poilievre calls on Ottawa to block RBC's $13.5B takeover of HSBC Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is calling for the federal government to block Royal Bank of Canada's $13.5-billion takeover of HSBC Canada as a way to help with housing affordability.Poilievre says in a statement that Canada's banking sector is overly concentrated, and that Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland should stop the deal to improve competition in areas such as mortgage rates.RBC spokesman Andrew McGrath says in a statement that the takeover is in the best interest of HSBC Canada clients and that the Competition Bureau's review did not identify Competition Act concerns with the de
canada-firm-and-steadfast-in-call-for-two-state-solution-for-israel-palestinians
CanadaOct 20, 2023

Canada 'firm and steadfast' in call for two-state solution for Israel, Palestinians

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada remains "firm and steadfast" in its commitment to a two-state solution to the Arab-Israeli conflict.He says the Middle East, and the world, needs both a Palestinian state and Israel to exist alongside each other in peace, safety and prosperity.Canada has long called for a negotiated two-state solution in the region, and considers the West Bank and East Jerusalem to be occupied territories.Trudeau is reiterating this position in the context of the latest Israel-Hamas war, which began after militants from Hamas, which Canada considers a terrorist organiz

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to