18.98°C Vancouver

News

1-in-9-canadian-adults-have-had-long-term-symptoms-from-covid-infection-statcan-says
CanadaDec 08, 2023

1 in 9 Canadian adults have had long-term symptoms from COVID infection, StatCan says

Statistics Canada says about one in nine Canadian adults have had long-term symptoms from COVID-19 infection.The report released today says that amounts to 3.5 million Canadians. Symptoms are defined as long-term if they persist for three months or longer after a COVID-19 infection and they can't be explained by anything else. Almost 80 per cent of people with long-term symptoms have them for six months or more. StatCan says more than half of those who ever had long-term symptoms still had them as of June 2023. Two-thirds of Canadian adults who have tried to get health-care services for their
more-than-200-crashes-reported-as-wintry-weather-returns-to-calgary
CanadaDec 08, 2023

More than 200 crashes reported as wintry weather returns to Calgary

More than 200 crashes have occurred from last night to this morning due to Thursday night's snow fall in Calgary. Due to the storm, the drivers had to face a lot of trouble. According to the police, people have been injured in 13 out of 200 crashes.They said that 6 crashes took place this morning, out of which injuries were reported during one of the accidents. Due to slippery roads, control over vehicles is reduced. According to city officials, they have ordered more crews and 60 trucks to remove snow from the roads. Snow removal is being done with the help of roller coaster.People are warned
salmonella-spread-by-eating-malichita-brand-melons-in-canada-5-people-died
BCDec 08, 2023

Salmonella spread by eating Malichita brand melons in Canada, 5 people died

The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on December 1st, when a single death had been recorded. There are also 17 cases in Ontario, 15 in British Columbia, and two each in Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador. The agency issued food recall warnings three times in November for Malichita cantaloupes sold between October 11th and November 14
canada-implements-stricter-rules-for-international-students-may-limit-visas
CanadaDec 08, 2023

Canada implements stricter rules for international students, may ‘limit visas’

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Ottawa will require foreigners applying to study in Canada to have double the amount of funds currently required. Miller says the change is among those meant to ensure international students aren't left vulnerable to sketchy employers and unable to afford life in Canada. He is also warning provinces that the Liberals might limit visas if colleges and universities don't adequately support students, but he tells reporters that governments need to have more conversations before such changes. The Liberals are also ramping down a policy that lengthened the
quebec-unions-representing-420-000-public-sector-workers-start-weeklong-strike
CanadaDec 08, 2023

Quebec unions representing 420,000 public sector workers start weeklong strike

Unions representing 420,000 Quebec public sector workers are beginning a weeklong strike today. The workers, including teachers, education support staff and lab technicians, are members of a group of unions that calls itself the "common front." The temporary strike comes after the common front rejected the government's most recent contract offer, which includes a salary increase of 12.7 per cent over five years. It is the group's third temporary strike since early November, and the unions say it will be the last before they launch an unlimited strike. Around 66,000 teachers who are members of
alberta-legislature-wraps-up-fall-sitting-passes-pension-exit-legislation
CanadaDec 08, 2023

Alberta legislature wraps up fall sitting, passes pension-exit legislation

The Alberta legislature has wrapped up its fall sitting, passing nine bills this week that included legislation yesterday clearing the path for a referendum on the province quitting the Canada Pension Plan. To pass the bill, the U-C-P government's House Leader Joseph Schow put time limits on debate. He says he had no choice as the Opposition NDP signalled it would try to hold up the bill by endlessly debating it. New Democrats say the bill mandating a referendum be held before Alberta would leave the CPP contains a loophole that gives the government the option to ignore the results.
b-c-chief-coroner-lisa-lapointe-retiring-saddened-by-overdose-crisis-policy
BCDec 06, 2023

B.C. chief coroner Lisa Lapointe retiring, saddened by overdose crisis policy

British Columbia's Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe has announced she is leaving her post after 13 years, deeply saddened the province has been unable to reduce the "tragic impacts" of toxic drugs on thousands of people. Lapointe says in a statement today the coroners service has been forever altered by the public health emergency that continues to take the lives of people of all ages in communities throughout B.C., including more than 2,000 people so far this year. Lapointe says recommendations by coroners service death-review panels, including providing a safe supply of drugs without prescription
CanadaDec 06, 2023

Hot, dry growing season in Alberta drives drop in Canadian wheat production

Wheat production across Canada remained low this year, with wheat yields in Alberta down nearly 20 per cent. Wheat production declined due to hot, dry weather in the state. According to a Statistics Canada report, Canada's total wheat production in 2023 is expected to decline by about 7 percent to 32 million tonnes.Wheat production in other provinces such as Alberta also remained low. Saskatchewan recorded a 6.7 percent drop in wheat production. Dry conditions were the main cause of reduced production in the prairies. However, Manitoba recorded an 8 percent increase in wheat production this ye
tories-threaten-to-table-thousands-of-amendments-and-delay-rise-of-house-of-commons
CanadaDec 06, 2023

Tories threaten to table thousands of amendments and delay rise of House of Commons

The official Opposition is threatening to delay government work and hold up billions of dollars in spending if the Liberal government doesn't drastically revise its carbon-pricing plan. The Conservatives are delivering a taste of their plan with the introduction of as many as 20,000 amendments to an 11-page government bill that aims to create sustainable jobs as part of the transition to a net-zero emissions economy. The natural resources committee is set to go through the amendments, which the Tories believe could take months to vote on individually. The Opposition wants the federal carbon-pr

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees