18.43°C Vancouver

News

weighing-our-options-ottawa-open-to-further-pause-to-expand-assisted-dying-rules
CanadaDec 15, 2023

'Weighing our options': Ottawa open to further pause to expand assisted dying rules

The federal government is considering whether to pause its original plan to broaden the rules that govern medically assisted dying so they include patients whose only underlying condition is a mental disorder. "We're weighing our options," Justice Minister Arif Virani said Thursday. It would be the second time the federal Liberals have hit pause on the plan. The first came in February, when the government decided to impose a one-year delay amid widespread public and political concern. That decision established a new deadline of March 2024, one that now appears in jeopardy. Cabinet will consid
speaker-greg-fergus-apologizes-in-house-of-commons-again-for-partisan-video
CanadaDec 15, 2023

Speaker Greg Fergus apologizes in House of Commons again for partisan video

The Speaker of the House of Commons has once again apologized for filming a video played at a partisan event, after a parliamentary committee called on him to show more contrition. Speaker Greg Fergus says he made a "serious mistake" in recording a video in tribute to the outgoing interim leader of the Ontario Liberals. He was wearing his ceremonial robes in the video, which was shot in his Parliament Hill office and played at the provincial party's recent leadership convention. The procedure and House affairs committee said in a report released Thursday that there should be clearer guidelines
online-news-act-funding-capped-for-private-broadcasters-cbc-report
CanadaDec 15, 2023

Online News Act funding capped for private broadcasters, CBC: Report

The final regulations for the Online News Act show the amount of funding both private broadcasters and the CBC will get through Ottawa's 100-million-deal with Google will be limited. The regulation shows private broadcasters will receive at most 30-million-dollars from the fund, while CBC/Radio-Canada will see no more than 7 million dollars. The rest of the money is earmarked for other qualifying news outlets like newspapers and digital platforms Last month Google agreed to contribute 100-million-dollars a year to Canadian news publishers, indexed to inflation, leaving it exempt from havin
senate-passes-liberal-bill-that-enshrines-handgun-freeze-targets-ghost-guns
CanadaDec 15, 2023

Senate passes Liberal bill that enshrines handgun freeze, targets ghost guns

Senators have passed a government bill that cements restrictions on handguns, increases penalties for firearm trafficking and aims to curb homemade ghost guns. The legislation also includes a ban on assault-style firearms that fall under a new technical definition. Senators voted 60 to 24 in favour of the bill at third reading today. Upon introducing the bill last year, the Liberals announced a plan to implement a freeze on importing, buying, selling or otherwise transferring handguns to help reduce firearm-related violence. Federal regulations aimed at capping the number of handguns in Cana
death-toll-among-b-c-s-homeless-rising-hits-342-people-last-year-coroners-report
BCDec 15, 2023

Death toll among BC's homeless rising, hits 342 people last year: Coroner's report

British Columbia's Coroners Service says there's been a sharp increase in deaths among people experiencing homelessness. A statement from the coroners service says the deaths of 342 people experiencing homelessness were reported last year, an increase of almost 140 over the past two years. The coroners service says there were 1,464 deaths of people who were homeless in B.C. in the period between 2015 and 2022, averaging about 183 deaths per year. Most of those deaths were in Vancouver, Victoria and Surrey, BC, and 82 per cent of them were male. However, the coroners service says the number of
BCDec 14, 2023

World Health Organization calls for ALL flavored vapes to be banned worldwide

The World Health Organization has advocated a ban on all flavored vapes. The World Health Organization has urged governments to ban e-cigarettes on the same lines as tobacco.The United Nations agency said that the time has come to take necessary steps to control them. The World Health Organization cited the study as saying that there is little evidence that vapes have released cigarette butts. The agency said flavored vapes pose a risk to non-smokers, particularly as they may increase nicotine addiction among children and youth. According to the agency, children aged 13 to 15 are using it more
canadian-home-sales-down-in-november-average-price-up-from-year-ago-crea
BCDec 14, 2023

Canadian home sales down in November, average price up from year ago: CREA

The Canadian Real Estate Association says home sales fell in November as the average price of a home sold inched highercompared with a year ago. The association says November home sales fell 0.9 per cent compared with the same month last year. On a seasonally adjusted basis, November home sales were also down 0.9 per cent compared with October this year. The number of newly listed homes fell 1.8 per cent on a month-over-month basis in November. CREA says with new listings down more than sales in November, the national sales-to-new listings ratio rose for the first time since April to come in
trucker-who-caused-broncos-crash-loses-latest-bid-to-stay-in-canada
CanadaDec 14, 2023

Trucker who caused Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada

Truck driver who caused deadly Broncos crash loses latest bid to stay in Canada A judge has dismissed applications from the truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash in Saskatchewan and was fighting deportation back to India. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was sentenced to eight years for causing the 2018 crash that killed 16 people and injured 13 others. He was granted parole earlier this year, but the Canada Border Services Agency had recommended he be deported Sidhu's lawyer argued before the Federal Court in September that border services officials didn't consider Sidhu's previou
israel-claimed-to-have-arrested-dozens-of-hamas-fighters-from-the-hospital-in-gaza
CanadaDec 14, 2023

Israel claimed to have arrested dozens of Hamas fighters from the hospital in Gaza

The Israeli military has claimed to have arrested dozens of Hamas fighters at a hospital in northern Gaza. Army has declared more than 70 people arrested from Kamal Advan Hospital as terrorists and seized dozens of weapons from the hospital. Israel says Hamas fighters at the hospital surrendered with their weapons. Meanwhile, the Hamas-run Health Ministry alleged that the Israeli army tried to stop the care of 10 patients, resulting in two deaths.Meanwhile, internet and phone services have been disrupted in Gaza. Hamas' health ministry says more than 18,700 of its people have been killed in Ga

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to