0.19°C Vancouver

News

ex-quebec-junior-hockey-players-plead-guilty-to-sex-assault
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Ex-Quebec junior hockey players plead guilty to sex assault

Two former Quebec junior hockey players have pleaded guilty to the sexual assault of a minor in June 2021.Massimo Siciliano and Nicolas Daigle, both 21, are former Victoriaville Tigres players who were charged with the sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl who was an employee at a hotel where the team was staying during the 2021 playoffs.Siciliano and Daigle both pleaded guilty to sexual assault, while Daigle also pleaded guilty to two charges of filming and exhibiting a video of the act.
two-canadians-dead-in-israel-third-feared-dead-many-missing-melanie-joly
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Two Canadians dead in Israel, third feared dead, many missing: Melanie Joly

The death toll in Israel and Hamas attacks has exceeded 2,000 and the death toll is likely to continue.Canada's Foreign Minister Melanie Joly said that two Canadians have been killed during the ongoing war in Israel and there is a fear of another one being killed.According to Global Affairs Canada, in addition to the dead, three more Canadians are missing.Their families fear they are being held hostage in Gaza.Joly, however, did not reveal whether Canadians were among those held hostage by Hamas.Hamas and another Palestinian militant group, Islamic Jihad, have claimed to have taken 130 people
ottawa-extending-amnesty-for-assault-style-firearms-again-until-october-2025
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Ottawa extending amnesty for 'assault-style' firearms again, until October 2025

The federal Liberal government says it will extend an amnesty order on guns it prohibited in the wake of the deadly 2020 Nova Scotia shooting rampage for an extra two years.Public Safety Canada quietly posted the extension on its website about the yet-to-be-developed firearms buyback program, saying the amnesty period that was set to expire at the end of the month will remain in place until Oct. 30, 2025.The amnesty applies to those who own one of the more than 1,500 models of guns that Ottawa announced it was banning, saying "assault-style" firearms, such as the AR-15, have no place in commun
canadian-grocers-havent-yet-responded-to-price-stabilization
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Canadian grocers haven't yet responded to price stabilization

Major grocers in Canada are not yet confirming whether they have committed to special promotions to stabilize grocery prices, as was recently promised by the federal government.Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced last week that the grocers have presented initial plans to stabilize prices, which include discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns.The Canadian Press has reached out to the grocers like Loblaw, Empire, Metro, Walmart and Costco to confirm what exactly each of them has promised to do.Metro declined to comment, while Loblaw, Empire and Costco have not
canadians-will-be-airlifted-from-israel-foreign-minister
CanadaOct 11, 2023

Canadians will be airlifted from Israel: Foreign Minister

Canada's Foreign Minister Melanie Joly confirmed the death of two Canadians in Israel on Wednesday and said that there is a fear that a third may be killed.Along with this, the case of the disappearance of three other Canadians is being investigated.Joly said the government will airlift Canadians in the coming days using Canadian military aircraft.Other arrangements will be made for those who cannot reach the airport in Tel Aviv.The latest federal statistics show that 4249 Canadians are registered in Israel.476 Canadians are registered in Gaza and the West Bank.Joly said they know how difficul
rcmp-starts-investigation-into-greenbelt-land-case
CanadaOct 10, 2023

RCMP starts investigation into greenbelt land case

The RCMP announced Tuesday that they have opened a criminal investigation into Ontario Premier Doug Ford's plan to open up greenbelt land for development.An RCMP spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday that the RCMP O Division's Sensitive and International Investigations Unit has opened an investigation into allegations related to the decision to open up part of the Greenbelt to development following a referral from the Ontario Provincial Police.He said that the investigation will be fair so that Canadians will know the real truth.An RCMP spokesperson said no further information will be relea
montreal-man-among-those-killed-in-attack-on-israel-by-hamas-militants
CanadaOct 10, 2023

Montreal man among those killed in attack on Israel by Hamas militants

A Montreal man says his son is among the victims of an attack by Hamas militants on Israel over the weekend.Alain Haim Look says in a social media post that his son Alexandre Look was killed in Israel on Saturday while trying to save those around them.Look describes his son as a force of nature with unique charisma, and says he died a hero.A spokeswoman for the Chabad of Westmount Education Centre says she knows Look's parents, who are part of the centre's community, and she confirms the authenticity of the post.Devorah Shanowitz, the centre's director of education, says the centre's rabbis ha
online-news-act-not-perfect-but-necessary-heritage-minister
CanadaOct 06, 2023

Online News Act not perfect but necessary: Heritage Minister

Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge says that while the Online News Act isn't perfect, the media landscape is changing too fast for the government to wait any longer.Speaking at the MINDS international news agency conference in Toronto, St-Onge said that the government intends to stand firm with the law that will force Facebook and Google to pay for news links on their websites.She says Facebook is using intimidation tactics by removing all news links in Canada before the act is even in force, and encouraged other countries to also take action against tech giants to protect news.Facebook parent
supreme-court-upholds-publication-bans-on-details-of-trials-before-jury-selection
CanadaOct 06, 2023

Supreme Court upholds publication bans on details of trials before jury selection

Canada's highest court has ruled that media can't publish portions of a criminal trial that take place before a jury is constituted.In a unanimous decision released today, the Supreme Court of Canada has upheld lower court decisions that said those trial details cannot be made public until jurors begin deliberating or are dismissed.At issue were two cases in which judges imposed publication bans on proceedings that took place before juries were impanelled, leading media companies to appeal those bans directly to the Supreme Court.One case was heard in Quebec and involved Frédérick Silva, a h

Just In

u-s-house-debates-resolution-to-roll-back-trumps-fentanyl-related-tariffs-on-canada
CanadaFeb 12, 2026

U.S. House debates resolution to roll back Trump’s fentanyl-related tariffs on Canada

Members of the U.S. House of Representatives debated legislation aimed at ending tariffs imposed on Canadian goods under a fentanyl-related border emergency declared by President Donald Trump last year. Democratic Representative Gregory Meeks, who introduced the resolution, told lawmakers that Canada should not be treated as a security threat. He described Canada as a long-standing ally and argued that U.S. government data shows only a small fraction of fentanyl seizures occur along the northern border compared with the U.S.–Mexico boundary. President Trump declared a national emergency tied
surrey-police-seek-public-help-after-youth-assaulted-in-whalley-area
CanadaFeb 11, 2026

Surrey Police Seek Public Help After Youth Assaulted in Whalley Area

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a man accused of assaulting a teenage girl in the Whalley neighbourhood earlier this month. Police say the incident happened at about 4:35 pm on February 6, when the youth was walking eastbound along 100 Avenue near 123A Street. Investigators report that a man approached her from behind and briefly wrapped his arms around her upper body. The girl was able to free herself, and the suspect ran southbound on 123A Street. She was not physically injured. The suspect is described as an adult man, possibly White or Middle Ea
surrey-mayor-b-c-conservative-leader-express-condolences-after-tumbler-ridge-tragedy
BCFeb 11, 2026

Surrey mayor, and B.C. Conservative express condolences after Tumbler Ridge tragedy

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has expressed condolences following a tragic incident in Tumbler Ridge that has shaken communities across British Columbia. In a public statement, Locke said residents of Surrey stand in solidarity with the victims and their families during what she described as an extremely difficult time. “My thoughts are with the families in Tumbler Ridge who are facing this unimaginable loss,” Locke said, adding that the incident has deeply affected people across the province. She noted that Surrey, as one of B.C.’s largest cities, shares in the grief being felt in the north
alberta-premier-expresses-condolences-after-deadly-shooting-at-tumbler-ridge-secondary-school
AlbertaFeb 11, 2026

Alberta premier expresses condolences after deadly shooting at Tumbler Ridge secondary school

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith has expressed condolences following a deadly shooting at a secondary school in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, that left 10 people dead, including the alleged gunman. In a public statement, Smith said her thoughts are with the students, staff and families affected, adding that Alberta stands with the entire Tumbler Ridge community during what she described as an unimaginable tragedy. According to the BC RCMP, officers responded to reports of shots fired at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School at approximately 1:20 p.m. Police said six people were pronounced dead at th
BCFeb 11, 2026

Federal flags lowered for seven days to honour victims of B.C. mass shooting

Prime Minister Mark Carney has ordered flags on all federal buildings and institutions to be flown at half-mast for seven days following a deadly mass shooting in northeastern British Columbia that left 10 people dead, including the suspect. The attacks took place Tuesday in the small community of Tumbler Ridge. According to the RCMP, the suspect is believed to have first killed two people at a private residence before going to a local school, where several others were shot in what police have described as one of the most serious mass shootings in recent Canadian history. Investigators have sa