22.78°C Vancouver

News

trial-of-coutts-protesters-resumes-after-men-convicted-of-mischief-weapons-charges
CanadaAug 12, 2024

Trial of Coutts protesters resumes after men convicted of mischief, weapons charges

Lawyers for two men convicted of mischief at the border blockade at Coutts, Alta., are scheduled to appear in court today as the case moves toward sentencing. A jury on Aug. 2 also found Anthony Olienick and Chris Carbert guilty of possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and Olienick was convicted of possessing a pipe bomb. They were acquitted of the more serious charge of conspiring to murder police officers. RCMP found a cache of weapons, ammunition and body armour near the blockade at the Canada-U.S. border crossing in 2022. The blockade was one of several held across the country to pr
calgary-mayor-says-city-considering-replacing-water-pipe-that-ruptured
CanadaAug 09, 2024

Calgary mayor says city considering replacing water pipe that ruptured

Calgary's mayor says the city is considering ways to strengthen a key water main for the long term, including replacing it altogether. Jyoti Gondek says in the spring the city could add a liner or a sleeve to the pipe to strengthen it, or dig alongside it and built an entirely new one. The pipe in northwest Calgary ruptured in early June, drenching a stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway and nearby parkland. The break forced Calgarians to undertake a series of water conservation measures, from not watering lawns to taking shorter showers. The restrictions had been gradually easing when, earlier
canada-imposes-sanctions-on-anniversary-of-fraudulent-2020-belarus-election
CanadaAug 09, 2024

Canada imposes sanctions on anniversary of fraudulent 2020 Belarus election

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canada his imposed sanctions on 10 people and six entities on the anniversary of the fraudulent 2020 presidential elections in Belarus. The sanctions are in response to what Joly describes as ongoing and systematic human rights abuses in Belarus, and support for Russia's illegal war of aggression against Ukraine. The list includes judges who Canada says have arbitrarily condemned citizens for expressing their opposition to the 2020 elections. It also includes people who co-ordinate military production with Russia in Belarus. Canada also sanctions ent
poilievre-calls-for-tariffs-on-chinese-made-evs-solar-panels-batteries-and-steel
CanadaAug 09, 2024

Poilievre calls for tariffs on Chinese-made EVs, solar panels, batteries and steel

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he would impose big new import taxes on a host of Chinese-made goods including electric cars, solar panels and semiconductors if his party wins the next election. Poilievre made the announcement in Hamilton, standing in front of a few dozen employees at the city's Stelco steel plant. Steel is among the products Poilievre says requires new import tariffs as he accuses China of breaching labour and environment standards to "crush" Canadian industry. Poilievre says the federal Liberals are refusing to follow the lead of U.S. President Joe Biden and protec
debby-blows-in-to-eastern-canada
CanadaAug 09, 2024

Heavy rain coming to Eastern Canada as remnants of tropical storm Debby move in

Remnants of tropical storm Debby merging with another low pressure system over the Great Lakes could bring up to 100 millimetres of rain to parts of Eastern Canada on Friday. The system is passing through Southern Ontario and Quebec today, which has prompted Environment Canada to issue alerts and warnings for communities between Cornwall, Ont., through Quebec City about the risk of flash flooding. The agency has also warned that minor landslides are a possibility. Ottawa is forecast to be particularly hard hit by this storm system, with 50 to 75 millimetres of rainfall expected throughout Frid
flash-flooding-risk-in-ontario-quebec-as-remnants-of-tropical-storm-debby-on-the-way
CanadaAug 08, 2024

Flash flooding risk in Ontario, Quebec as remnants of tropical storm Debby on the way

Up to 100 millimetres of rain is forecast to hit parts of Eastern Canada by the weekend as the remnants of tropical storm Debby make their way to the region. Environment Canada is warning of heavy rain and risks of flash flooding and sewer backups across a swath of the country from Cornwall, Ont., to Quebec City. Meteorologist Jennifer Smith told a news conference that a low-pressure system over the Great Lakes will bring rain and possible thunderstorms in Eastern Ontario and southern Quebec tonight before the weather system merges with what's left of Debby. Smith says Montreal receives an ave
airfares-could-rise-after-calgary-hailstorm-forces-westjet-to-cancel-flights-expert
CanadaAug 08, 2024

Airfares could rise after Calgary hailstorm forces WestJet to cancel flights: expert

An aviation expert says airfares may go up in the immediate aftermath of a hailstorm that tore through Calgary on Monday evening, damaging WestJet planes and upending travel plans. Hailstones as big as golf balls pummelled the tarmac, forcing the Calgary-based airline to ground 10 per cent of its fleet for major repairs and inspections. WestJet says it cancelled 248 flights between Monday and Wednesday, and will have to cut trips across its network for the "foreseeable future." Barry Prentice, who heads the University of Manitoba's transport institute, says a significant scale-back by the coun
canada-confirms-it-pulled-diplomats-kids-out-of-israel-as-fear-of-broader-war-builds
CanadaAug 08, 2024

Canada confirms it pulled diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds

The Canadian government says it decided to pull its diplomats' children and their guardians out of Israel, amid fears over an expanded Mideast war. Global Affairs Canada says it has approved the temporary relocation of the children and their guardians to a safe third country. Embassy staff are expected to remain in Israel. The department says diplomats stationed in nearby Ramallah in the West Bank and in Beirut, Lebanon, do not have dependents living with them. Tensions in the Middle East have sparked fears about an all-out war after the killing last week of a senior Hezbollah commander in Leb
ontario-man-charged-after-threatening-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-in-online-video
CanadaAug 07, 2024

Ontario man charged after threatening Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in online video

Another person has been arrested after making threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau online. Police say a man made violent threats against Trudeau, the police and security personnel who might attempt to interfere with his plans in an online video. RCMP made the arrest with help from the York Regional Police in Ontario. Police charged Dawid Zalewski, 33, with two counts of uttering threats. The arrest comes weeks after two Alberta men were charged after they allegedly directed death threats at the prime minister. RCMP said in July that the men posted threats to kill Trudeau and other pol

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to