20.28°C Vancouver

News

canada-caught-up-in-china-u-s-trade-war-as-trump-claims-fentanyl-continues-to-flow
CanadaApr 24, 2025

Canada caught up in China-U.S. trade war as Trump claims fentanyl continues to flow

Pulling Canada into his trade war with China, U.S. President Donald Trump claims Chinese fentanyl continues to "pour" across both borders. Trump complained on social media today about Chinese airlines refusing to accept Boeing planes to protest his administration's massive tariffs on China. In his post, he says that fentanyl continues to flow into the U.S. from China through Mexico and Canada. Trump last month slapped economywide tariffs on Canada, linking the duties to the flow of people and fentanyl across the United States' northern border. He partially paused the levies a few days later. U
arrest-and-charges-against-2-men-after-cloverdale-incident
CanadaApr 24, 2025

Arrest and charges against 2 men after Cloverdale incident

The RCMP Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit General Investigations Unit is investigating allegations of sexual assault and forcible confinement, which has resulted in arrests and charges laid against two individuals. On March 30, 2025, RCMP SPOSU investigators responded to an incident which occurred at a residence in the 19400 block of Colebrook Road in Surrey. Two adult men have been arrested and charged in relation to this investigation: Gregory Philip Jolicoeur, also known as ‘Hippy’1 count each of forcible confinement, contrary to Sec. 279(2) of the Criminal Code and assault,
man-shot-dead-by-police-at-pearson-international-airport
CanadaApr 24, 2025

Man shot dead by police at Pearson International airport

A man was shot and killed by police at Toronto Pearson Airport this morning in connection with an incident that led to chaos among passengers amid a heavy police presence. According to the Ontario Police Special Investigations Unit, the man was in his 30s. The man allegedly pulled a gun on the officer, leaving the officer with no choice but to fire. The case is being investigated by the Ontario Police Oversight Agency. In a news release, the Special Investigations Unit said that initial information indicates that Peel police arrived at the airport around 7 a.m. on reports of suspicious beh
guilty-pleas-in-case-of-e-coli-outbreak-at-calgary-daycares
CanadaApr 24, 2025

Guilty pleas in case of E. coli outbreak at Calgary daycares

A commercial kitchen company in Calgary has pleaded guilty to four charges after a massive E. coli outbreak at daycares led to hundreds of children falling ill. Fueling Minds Inc. was charged in relation to the outbreak that started in September 2023. There were least 448 infections, and 39 children and one adult were hospitalized due to severe illness. It became the largest known outbreak in children under five. Lawyers are to present a joint recommendation on sentencing. Court heard prosecutors are not proceeding with charges against the company's two directors.
mark-carney-under-attack-by-opponents-after-talks-with-us-president
CanadaApr 24, 2025

Mark Carney under attack by opponents after talks with US President

Liberal leader Mark Carney, who is leading in the race for prime minister in Canada's election polls, is under attack by the opposition over a phone call he had with Trump last month. It has been revealed that Trump had directly talked about making Canada the 51st province in a phone call with Carney on March 28, while Carney, in a press conference later that day, had said the opposite, saying that the president had respected Canada's sovereignty in his private and public remarks today. N.D.P. leader Jagmeet Singh expressed concern over Carney's stance. It is noteworthy that this revelation ha
six-year-sentence-restored-for-former-alberta-school-headmaster-guilty-of-sex-assault
CanadaApr 24, 2025

Six-year sentence restored for former Alberta school headmaster guilty of sex assault

Canada's highest court has restored a six-year prison sentence for a former headmaster of a defunct boys' school in Alberta who sexually assaulted a student. Paul Sheppard was convicted in 2021 of sex offences against the Grade 7 student at Saint John's School of Alberta, southwest of Edmonton, between 1993 and 1994. The victim, Steacy Easton, was granted a court application to have a publication ban on their name removed. Sheppard was sentenced to six years in prison, but the Alberta Court of Appeal ruled it was unfit and reduced the term to just under four years. The Supreme Court of Can
patients-allowed-to-vote-in-hospitals-through-special-ballots
CanadaApr 23, 2025

Patients allowed to vote in hospitals through special ballots

So far, 7.3 million voters in Canada have voted through advance elections, while many have also got the opportunity to vote through special ballots. A 97-year-old voter undergoing treatment in an Alberta hospital decided to stay in the hospital for a few more days to vote through a special ballot. Yesterday, he voted in the hospital with the help of an election officer of Canada. This facility is available to those who are away from their riding due to illness and cannot walk to vote. According to Elections Canada, hospitalized patients have the right to vote from their hospital room through
quebec-not-ruling-out-expanding-religious-symbol-ban-to-daycare-workers-minister
CanadaApr 23, 2025

Quebec not ruling out expanding religious symbol ban to daycare workers: minister

The Quebec minister responsible for secularism says the government isn't ruling out expanding its religious symbols ban to include daycare employees. Jean-François Roberge says "everything is on the table" when it comes to strengthening secularism in the province, including extending the law known as Bill 21 to include more categories of public employees. However, he said today the government will wait for the recommendations from a government-appointed committee studying the issue before deciding whether to move forward. Currently, the workplace religious symbol ban applies to categories of
poilievre-takes-aim-at-prime-minister-mark-carney-and-former-prime-minister-justin-trudeau
CanadaApr 23, 2025

Poilievre takes aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney and former Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre took aim at Liberal Party Prime Ministerial candidate Mark Carney and former Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during an election campaign in Hamilton this morning, blaming them for the rise in crime in Canada and saying that this situation is a direct result of the Liberals’ drug agenda policies. During the meeting, he also mentioned the shooting death of Harsimrat Kaur Randhawa while waiting at a Hamilton bus stop last week, calling the incident shocking and senseless. Meanwhile, the Toronto Police Association has supported Pierre Poilievre. The union repr

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees