24.8°C Vancouver

News

richmond-rcmp-steps-up-patrols-to-ensure-a-safe-halloween-night
BCOct 27, 2025

Richmond RCMP steps up patrols to ensure a safe Halloween night

Richmond RCMP is reminding families to take extra precautions this Halloween as officers increase patrols across the city to help keep trick-or-treaters safe. Police say additional officers and community policing volunteers will be out on the streets to support public safety and engage with residents. The detachment says the focus this year will be on visibility and prevention, with patrols targeting busy residential areas where children are expected to be out after dark. Officers will also monitor for unsafe or suspicious behaviour and enforce the city’s ban on fireworks. Under Richmond’s
number-of-extortion-related-files-in-surrey-reaches-74-with-39-shooting-related
BCOct 27, 2025

Number of extortion related files in Surrey reaches 74 with 39 shooting related

The number of extortion related files with Surrey police in 2025 has reached 74. Of these, 39 cases were shooting related. Just around a couple of weeks ago, this number was reported to have reached 57. Meanwhile, shots were also fired in the 7800 block of 124 Street in Surrey at around 2:45 a.m. yesterday (Sunday, Oct. 25). There were people inside the house at the time of the incident, but no one was injured. It has not yet been confirmed that this incident is related to extortion, although the matter is suspected to be extortion-related. Connect FM reached out to Staff Sgt. Lindsey Hough
surreys-133million-cloverdale-recreation-centre-is-now-open
BCOct 27, 2025

Surrey's $133million Cloverdale recreation centre is now open

This past weekend, the City of Surrey officially opened the Cloverdale Sport & Ice Complex. Surrey's newest recreation and sporting facility is conveniently located in the heart of Cloverdale's community near 62nd Avenue and 177 street. This facility has two sheets of ice, skate and helmet rentals, skate sharpening, multipurpose rooms, food services, and free parking. (Image - City of Surrey)This fully-accessible facility offers registered and drop-in arena programs for everyone in the community from preschool to seniors. Construction began in Summer 2022. The project was designed by TK
BCOct 27, 2025

One dead after car crashes into Prince George home

A driver has died after a vehicle crashed into a house in Prince George on Saturday afternoon. Prince George RCMP say officers were called to a home on Queensway around 2 p.m. on October 25, where they found a single vehicle had collided with the front of the residence. Two people were inside the home at the time but were not injured. BC Emergency Health Services transported both the driver and a passenger to hospital. Police say the driver later died from their injuries, while the passenger sustained non-life-threatening injuries. Corporal Jennifer Cooper, spokesperson for Prince George RCMP,
b-c-man-who-survived-grizzly-bear-attack-dies-weeks-later-from-complications
BCOct 27, 2025

B.C. man who survived grizzly bear attack dies weeks later from complications

A British Columbia man who fought off a grizzly bear earlier this month has died more than three weeks after the attack near Fort Steele in the East Kootenay region. Family members say 63-year-old Joe Pendry passed away Saturday morning from what doctors believe was a blood clot. His wife, Janice Pendry, told media that her husband had been recovering at Kelowna General Hospital, where he was walking and joking with staff the night before his death. The October 2 incident occurred while Pendry was hunting elk northeast of Cranbrook. According to his wife’s earlier account, he fought back aga
police-investigating-two-overnight-shootings-at-homes-in-surrey-and-delta
BCOct 27, 2025

Police investigating two overnight shootings at homes in Surrey and Delta

Police in Surrey and Delta are investigating two separate overnight shootings that targeted residential homes early Monday, with one believed to be linked to an ongoing extortion case. The Surrey Police Service said officers were called to a home near 124 Street shortly before 3 a.m. after reports of gunfire. When police arrived, they found the house damaged by bullets. Several people were inside at the time, but no injuries were reported. Investigators have not yet determined a motive for the shooting. Around the same time, Delta Police were called to a home on 78B Avenue after multiple shots
two-vancouver-men-charged-after-cfseu-bc-investigation-targets-fentanyl-trafficking-network
BCOct 24, 2025

Two Vancouver men charged after CFSEU-BC investigation targets fentanyl trafficking network

The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia says two Vancouver men are facing multiple drug trafficking charges after a months-long investigation that disrupted an organized network accused of distributing fentanyl and other illicit substances across the Lower Mainland. The investigation began in February 2024 after CFSEU-BC’s Anti-Trafficking Task Force identified a suspect believed to be supplying large amounts of fentanyl and other drugs through a coordinated network. On October 2, 2024, police executed search warrants at two homes in the region, seizing more than thr
man-found-not-criminally-responsible-in-2023-vancouver-chinatown-festival-stabbings
BCOct 24, 2025

Man found not criminally responsible in 2023 Vancouver Chinatown festival stabbings

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has ruled that a man who stabbed three people during a Vancouver Chinatown festival in 2023 is not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder. Justice Eric Gottardi delivered the decision Friday, saying the law does not convict people for acts committed while they are mentally ill. The ruling concerns 67-year-old Blair Donnelly, whose trial heard he believed he was acting under divine instruction when he carried out the attack last September. Court testimony showed Donnelly had asked the Holy Spirit for a sign not to proceed, but said he “wanted to obey God”
fraser-valley-hospital-begins-4-95m-mri-upgrade-to-improve-diagnostic-access
BCOct 24, 2025

Fraser Valley hospital begins $4.95M MRI upgrade to improve diagnostic access

Patients across the Fraser Valley will soon benefit from faster and more accurate diagnostic imaging as Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre undergoes a $4.95 million upgrade to its MRI unit. The project aims to enhance imaging quality and reduce wait times for residents needing critical scans. During the construction period, a mobile MRI unit will remain on site to ensure uninterrupted service. The hospital’s existing MRI scanner, which has surpassed its expected lifespan, will be fully refurbished using its original magnet – the most energy-intensive component to produce – wh

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees